An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

"Doctor hopping" is a sign of addiction

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Jane, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I feel like Xanax is something that many people end up addicted to but we don't necessarily see it happening. After all, unless someone is actively talking about popping the pills regularly, you don't even know they're taking something usually.

I had a friend a few years back who kept complaining about not liking her most recent doctor and how so many others were much better. She was young and always lived in the same area, so I casually asked why she had seen so many different doctors. Her answer? "Because they stop filling my Xanax." She would switch doctors as soon as her current one would show concern about her using it too much and wouldn't give her a refill. Oy.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

In the country where I live, our mediacl records are on a cmputerized database which any doctor can access. This makes it impossible for people to go from one doctor to the next as thier medical histories can be viewed immediately. It is very hard to get a doctor to prescribe benzodiazepines here and the majority of them tend to come from foreign websites or through pharmacy break-ins.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Xanax, I had a friend who was taking that stuff too. She had another addiction. Xanax seems to be the supplement drug. They need something to come down off of whatever else they've got. Sometimes its not something they will say. Someone like this will just find another way to get what they want. They should read the pamphlet on this. Read some things that people say as the long term effects. Its not good.
  4. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I have known a couple of doctor shoppers. I have to say I really don't understand it, prescription drugs are more and more tightly controlled every year and it is a lot of money and time for all the doctor and pharmacy visits. I guess it's a way people can be addicted without actually having to go to a drug dealer though, for some it makes the addiction seem like it's okay since the doctor gave an RX.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It will be better if doctors would have access on their patients medical histories to check what have been prescribed to them. That way they can somehow tell or have idea if the patient is just trying to fill drugs for their addiction.
  6. rikka

rikka Member

I know of someone who shop doctors too often. She is also the type to keep on mentioning about medication and the symptoms she is always experiencing.

I think it is great if doctors can access the old data of patients who come to them to check what the previous doctors did, and why they stopped filling in meds. That can control those who simply are doctor-shopping just to give them the medication they want.

As for people who are doctor-shopping, they obviously need help in curbing their "addiction" to it.
  7. lovelyhorse

lovelyhorse Member

In the United States, its virtually impossible to successfully "doctor-hop" anymore these days due to the Prescription Drug Montioring Program which is active in 49 states. Its a centralized database, accessible to healthcare practitioners (including pharmacists) which track all scheduled prescriptions. When I fill my medication for ADHD for example, they write my passport# or driver's license number on the physical prescription and then fax it in to the state database each time I wish to fill. If I were to go to more than one doctor for the same prescription, the doctor would be able to check the PDMP database and see my pharmacy records. I believe most states are now sharing database information to prevent doctor shopping over state lines as well.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is a slick way to feed an addiction. Some of these prescription drugs are really addictive. This could be really dangerous for her. Doctors should have a way to track what prescriptions people are suppose to have or not. You can't be forced to have treatments, but I don't think doctors have to prescribe things to you that could be harmful.
  9. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Doctor hopping is essentially a way of self-medicating. There's a reason these drugs require a prescription, and short-circuiting that evaluation process is never prudent in the long-term. But I can definitely understand why people do it.....
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can be hard to try and get this drug now from a doctor that easy as the person may think a different doctor may give this drug and also it can make a person think more about the drug and also how it will affect the mind, as drugs can ruin a person in the process which is easy to do and cause tensions in the process. I have seen people who use drugs and also they want this for their own purpose, and I reckon that doctors should not gvie a drug to anyone quickly as it can lead to them being a addict which will affect the mind in the process. In this day and age we need to be aware of these sort of drugs as they can seem harmless but can lead to ruin in the process which is not a good thing for us and cause issues in the process.
  11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have never heard of "doctor hopping". Although I have heard of bar hopping. I hope more doctors become aware of this so they can better help their patients. I agree that it must take a lot of time and money to go around hopping like that. A good doctor will be able to detect these types of things.
  12. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I have not heard it called this but it makes a lot of sense!
  13. johnstatler14

johnstatler14 Member

Oh yeah- I have a relative, and multiple old friends that do this. They've done it to get Adderall, Xanax, other benzodiazepines, (Ativan, Klonopin), and Ritalin. It's crazy to me, that they'd go through all of that effort. It's most definitely a sign of addiction if it happens regularly, but switching doctors once or twice may just be because the old doctor wasn't a good fit.