An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Doctors abuse the privilage to perscribe

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by kjonesm1, Feb 12, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Too many people are addicted to medication and the epidemic starts with their doctor. I have a friend who is a figure skater. A serious landing on her tailbone when she was 16 caused her chronic pain. She felt the pain was a fact of life and had already adjusted to the idea of having it forever. At a particular physical her doctor prescribed her, not one, but FOUR different pain pills and muscle relaxers. I was so proud of her because she refused them. Her mentality was the meds would not fix anything, they would just mask her pain. So instead of the pain she was already accepting as a part of her life he was going to give her a life of addiction. We have seen too many friends take the easy way out only to find themselves damaged in the long run. Too many doctors are too willing to prescribe drugs Willy Nilly and that is the base of a huge epidemic.
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

There is a difference between taking drugs for recreational use, and taking them because of pain. Why should a person be needlessly in pain ? Some people do get addicted from prescription pain killers, but it usually is because they where not prescribed properly and the doctor did not observe the patient. During WW1 and WW2, morphine was used extensively as a pain killer, and considering the amount of wounded soldiers the where, there where very few morphine addicts after both wars.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I blame it on greedy doctors who seem hell bent on making the extra buck at the expense of naive patients. The rot goes far much deeper than you could imagine with some doctors prescribing medicine that has not been authorized by medical bodies. It's up to us to try and stay informed and do a bit of research if we are to avoid being scammed by some of this unscrupulous doctors.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  4. kjonesm1

I understand that some people need medication, but there are many who don't who get over prescribed. I knew a guy who was told he had adhd so the the doctor gave him aderal. The aderal made him anxious and sleepless so the doctor gave him xanax. He drank regularly which he told the doctor who said it would be ok. He said the prescriptions messed him all up with the drinking so he smoked weed to balance things out. In the end he was such a mental mess he decided on his own to quit all prescriptions and just smoke herb. Once the withdrawal was over he SaaS happy again. He explained that he felt like he was losing his mind while he was medicated and depressed because he just couldn't pull his thoughts together.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I would have to agree but only to a certain extent. Some doctors prescribe particular drugs with the knowledge that doing so will do the patient a world of good. On the flip side, there are doctors who prescribe out of routine. They don't dig deeper and simply equate every type of addiction to certain drugs, referencing former cases to justify this "robotic" move. Those doctors should be sued for negligence.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  6. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

When a doctor initially prescribes a drug, I don't think they consider the possibility of addiction. They are just trying to alleviate the problem at hand with the particular drug. Later, I think it is the patient who plays a role in convincing the doctor he needs a repeated prescription. Usually then, I think the doctor will still take the patient at face value. By around the third time though, I'm sure a doctor gets suspicious and wonders if the pain is still so severe. That's when a patient might start doctor shopping.

I don't completely blame doctors because initially, they are assuming the best of you, thinking you will be able to use the drug wisely as needed for the pain you've expressed you have.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon, some doctors just give more to the patient giving the extra tablets without realizing the person can get addicted.make the ones in the cupboard less and give it to the patient. Some patients, don't think about what can happen if they overdose and can get more sick. I think, that doctors should think about what will happen to the patient and should think of giving the limit to them.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I live with chronic pain and take no meds for that, I'm doing fine, but then again I can't have a physical job. I'd not be able to have a physical job that involved me doing things (like for example take care of children and so on) or sit or stand for long periods of time. I can hardly cook for myself most days.. there are a few pain free days, but those are scarce.

I'm fine though, I've accepted pain in part of my life and will always be. I used addictions to literally numb that pain, but I no longer want to depend of that kind of things... I want to live a healthy life. I've damaged my body enough already... don't want to take more medications than I need.

Plus I don't trust doctors anymore, they often prescribe medications so freely... They are never honest about side effects. Not sure why, but with that in mind, no I can never trust them again.
  9. Tremmie

I've seen happen. I know a lot people who go see the doctor because they are depressed, then get prescribed a lot medications for that. Then those medications most of the time make then gain weight and start experiencing other side effects as well. This is in part the fault of the patient, for not looking for alternatives... instead of walking towards what they think is the fastest an easiest solution.

Of course doctors are not guiltless, they are... Most of the times they don't even seem to know the side effects of most of the meds they prescribe. I think the pharma business has trained them to do this... just go crazy prescribing. I mean, some doctors get money from pharma labs or so I have heard.

Doctors used to be all about prevention, now it's all about managing things with drugs... for as long as your liver and kidneys can stand it...
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  10. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Doctors receive a strong incentive to prescribe certain types of drugs. So pharma companies will offer freebies to doctors that prescribe a certain type of drug. Pharma companies also like to give out lots of free samples for doctors to give out.

It is hard to regulate these things, because Pharma companies always seem to find loopholes to got through. The bottom line is that doctors are becoming less ethical.
  11. Tremmie

You don't say! Less ethical and careless! I had heard some incentives were given to doctors by the pharma industry. I have even heard some doctors tend to ask their patients more CT scans, despite the risk ionizing radiation poses to the human body. Just because they have some involvement with certain imaging centers or even bought a CT scan machine and have it in their clinic.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Whenever I feel pain, as much as possible I try to avoid just taking pain medicines. It is because I do not want to be dependent on those pain killers. Maybe there are some doctors who abused on prescribing but not all of them.
  13. princepts

princepts Member

All things considered, one thing we don't need is more legislation. The answer to most problems is not an oversized government overstepping its' boundaries, creating impositions and hardships.
  14. kjonesm1

In many cases, I can't even blame patients for their ignorance. For example my mom is old school and when she goes to the doctor she accepts everything he tells her as the truth. Most people think the doctor is all knowing and can "fix" whatever ails them, but in most cases they are only fixing symptoms rather than the cause.
  15. Tremmie

Yes, that is what bothers me the most! I, for example, been having odd symptoms that point to spine issues, yet the doctor has only given me painkillers (I didn't take them) instead of giving me a referral for a full spine MRI! It's so stupid most doctors only want to mask symptoms, if it was me I'd try to find out what is wrong instead of sitting on my ass making easy money.

I don't believe doctors anymore, unless they get backed up by actual proof, like for example blood and imaging tests. And even yet, I like to do some research on my own.
  16. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I am thankful to have a doctor that will not hesitate to write me a script for something we agree I need but is very careful in what he prescribes. He knows of my history and tells me often he is proud of me for turning down heavier meds and trying low doses and alternatives first. I'm on pain management treatment for sciatica, bad knee and joint pain plus I have anxiety so I have scripts for Vicodin and Xanax but rarely use them. I take a prescription ibuprofen first when I can and try to breathe through my anxiety as much as possible.
  17. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

Absolutely! I strongly agree with this fact. They get paid to prescribe medications. Some of them stack medication on us so high that our bodies will never be healed. They give us one medication to make the reactions of another better. I mean its a no win situation.
  18. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Unfortunately, you are right about some doctors. However, it's up to us individually to say no and get second opinions. We have that right and responsibility as patients.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes the drugs cloud or mask the pain. Maybe prolong the pain as well. I think high doses of vitamin D is suppose to be the best. Something like 50,000iu is therapeutic and corrects bone problems. I heard you will feel the actual pain again but then eventually it goes away correcting the injury.