An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Doctors Prescribing Drugs because they don't Care?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Janie, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Do you think some doctors just get tired of patients' finagling and trying to find ways to get certain prescriptions, that they just give up even caring about the patient and go ahead and give them what they want? Do you think they know the person is an addict, or whatever, and just don't care about them anymore to try and help them? So they just prescribe them what ever they want to get them out of their hair?
  2. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I think antidepressant prescriptions are given to patients without too much care. In most cases they work, but the side effects can be awful for certain people, especially if they are already suffering from a certain condition (for example insomnia). Although there is nothing that a doctor can do for someone if the problem is emotional, except prescribe a medication that might alleviate the symptoms.
  3. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I think I went through this. I lost my voice totally because of a cold then this doctor prescribed me a ton of medication I don't really even need. I got worried about swallowing all those capsules a day when one would usually make me dizzy and I was supposed to maintain it for a week. So I went to a different doctor and asked to be re-examined. She asked me to take a single pill each day plus recommended what I should add and remove from my diet. I was fine after three days.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Some doctors do it out of routine - not really because they don't care, but more out of complacency. For instance, when they've diagnosed one too many patients in a day, you can be sure that the first few patients would have been thoroughly diagnosed and given the appropriate medication. However, over the next few hours, if similar cases reappear, doctors tend to be complacent and rather than thoroughly check the patients, immediately make conclusions. They'd give the same treatment, same prescription drugs to cut the repetitive story short.
  5. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

They do it from routine. They also do it for the speed of doing it - hearing a few words and writing a prescription takes the least amount of their time. Given how little most insurances pay for a visit these days, their money depends on a volume game of how many patients they can see in a day. Writing a prescription is fast and easy. Much faster and easier than actually talking to a patient and trying to talk them out of the drug they want.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Don't forget they're all on backhanders from the drug companies too - it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they have to prescribe certain amounts of a medication in order to qualify for a bonus!