An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does a drug addict ever go back to living a normal life?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by richfootfastfate, Jul 2, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If he gets cleaned up and follows the rules there is still hope for him. It's going to take a long time with a lot of persistence, but it is possible. Will it ever be the same as before the drugs? Probably not. But he can still have a normal life if his usage isn't that prolonged. The sad truth is once you are a heavy user or a long time, you will never be the same as before.
  2. srofltank

srofltank Member

It's possible to go back to what you may define "normal," but I think that the effects that drugs cause on the body will not necessarily go back to normal. Mentally, a former drug addict can regain their mental strength and become confident within their lifestyle, though! I wouldn't be too confident about a person who is physically healthy after a lifestyle of drugs.
  3. light

light Active Contributor

Life won’t be the same after recovery but everything changes and I’ve the courage to say that your life will be better than it was. If your boyfriend decides to become sober and quit drug addiction, it means that he is committed to creating a better life. The period of recovery is a very delicate one and everyone who surpasses it becomes free. This means that he has been able to take control of his mind and deserves to be happy. Wonderful things are about to come to your relationship if you together find a reason to make him believe in life and in himself again. I suggest you to imagine only once, tonight before you go to sleep, how would your boyfriend behave, talk, walk and treat you, if he was a successful man full of dreams about your future…Do this and you will see what comes!
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Every addict can still recover and live their old life back when they try their best to be clean. If their attempt is a half-hearted one, then it's likely that they will relapse, but if their resolve to be sober is firm, then it's just a matter of time before they kiss drugs goodbye permanently.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think it depends on the person, and their attitude towards recovery, because their life is not going to be the same if this person doesn't want to be the same. This process is really different and personal to everyone ... but I think that the principal first step for a person to recover their old life is to accept that things are not the same as they used to be, and keep up a positive during the process.
  6. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Well, you can't lose hope, no matter what happens. It is exactly why communities like this forum exist. A positive mindset can still do wonders. You may take him to a professional psychotherapist and provide him with best possible counselling. Behavioral therapy coupled with concentration exercises definitely yield results.

I think you still like him otherwise you wouldn't have asked this question. So please be patient and give him the benefit of doubt.
  7. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

I think a drug addiction is something that will scar you and only make you stronger when you over come it. My fiance has been though all the past 3 years and went through a time of only wanting the drugs and know one else to be around he didn't want to do anything and would lie and sneak around. Things can change and the best thing to do is support them and pray for them
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

He doesn't need to go back to his old life. It was his old life which led on to this one! What he needs is a new life - a fresh start - something new, good and positive which will naturally make him feel 'high' without resorting to drugs. The first step to this is realizing that combatting addiction and working towards starting a better, healthier and more successful life should be seen as an opportunity and not a battle. The light at the end of the tunnel will far outweigh the high given by drugs. One heroin addict and criminal in my city went on to get clean and became a police offer! It can be done.
  9. avneet

avneet Member

First of all one should keep in mind that nothing is impossible. there may be difficulties to leave such addictions and return by to normal life but if one's will is strong enough a beautiful life for you is waiting ahead. Just keep telling the person that he can do it and could live a addiction free life.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The road to recovery is going to be a long one for your boyfriend if he has been doing drugs for a while, but people can change and go on to live normal lives.

He is going to have to want those things though. When people get addicted to drugs, they change. Their views on life become different and they do things that they would not have done before doing drugs. He can do it and you should do your best to support him while also taking care of yourself.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It takes work. A lot of work. Every day. You've got to know what your triggers are, and you need to want to be clean more than you want to be drunk or high or whatever the situation may be. But yes, it's possible. I think it's even possible to carve out a better life than the pre-drugs/drink one. You've truly got to want it though.
  12. S24

S24 Member

Hey... So I have been experiencing something similar to what you are experiencing. If you want to read my story, i posted it as a thread titled "loving someone with addictive tendencies."
    I may be a little bias here, but my advice for you would be to set some boundaries. One of these boundaries may involve separating yourself from the situation in order to save yourself in the hopes that it could help him, as well.
    I can relate to the pain of watching someone you love so much crumble in their own despair and resort to using drugs. It feels as if your other half is broken. It feels hopeless because you just know that there is so much more to this person than their addiction-and there is. It is heart wrenching and it definitely tore me down to a point where I became obsessed with "fixing" his problems. I still am learning how to accept that there are some things i just cannot change because I only just made this decision a month ago.
    I dont know if your mental well-being has been sacrificed like mine was, but if you find this to be true then I highly recommend making the courageous decision to do what you know you need to do, rather than continue to do something you want to do.
    It will help your sanity. The best way you can help an addict is to make sure you are healthy and okay.
    However, this does not mean that you cannot have hope- hope that he can recover and take care of himself in order for him to also give you what you deserve as well. Hope is very important.
    I'm sorry I didn't answer your question. The reason why I didn't is because I always ask/asked myself a million different questions related to my boyfriend's problems. It took me a while to ask myself the most important question: Am i okay?
    There is always hope. He can change, but only if he chooses to.
    Please don't confuse this with giving up on him! You can still support and encourage your boyfriend, i promise you that! Just remember-treat yourself well.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

An ex-addict can put his life back on track, where it used to be but it takes a lot of self-will and work to be able to do it. It's not impossible though, and I think that as long as they reach out for help and they're willing to do everything they can in order to be normal again they'll accomplish their goal.
  14. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Most people can go back to living a normal life if they commit to not allowing themselves fall for the same reasons. You have to learn to not let yourself be held prisoner by your memories. Not all of this is easy to achieve but it can as long as you put the effort to it. But like the above poster said, all of this is subjective.
  15. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

It is very hard for an addict to become normal again even after recovering. Life would not be the same. But it isn't impossible.
    It is very possible for him to turn a new leaf and be a better person. But, because of all he has gone through he can never be the same person that he use to be.
  16. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Not everybody is the same, of course, but I do believe that some addicts can live a normal life in time, if they are allowed to have the help that they need in order to get there. Drugs are a habit, and once that habit is broken, normal life can resume. Of course, it is a VERY difficult habit to break - but every single drug addict once lived a life without drugs, so they know that it is physically possible for them to do so. By having the belief that you can, at some point, live a normal life, this makes it a heck of a lot more likely that you will succeed with it.
  17. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

Although it is a long and horrible time to get clean, yes, it is more than possible to return to a normal drug free life.
    I would love to say it will be easy, but the reality is it is going to be hard for you both and will test your love for one another.

I would initially start by talking to a doctor, he has to want to come off them, he will not be able to commit to it properly if not and will also need your full support. I hope he does come off them, life does not have to be about drugs!