An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does AA really help

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by kevinkimers, Nov 7, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I guess never having been addicted to alcohol or drugs, it is hard for me to conceive that the program works on its own without the aid of another program. I probably will never understand, but if it works... it works. That is all that matters... right. :D
  2. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

I think this would be a great question to ask yourself, this would depend on you as a individual. Most court systems recommend going to AA meetings for the recovering alcoholic. Sometimes this is a very good thing for some people other people would rather not go. I would think that you would have to really want help in order for this to work, like any situation drug related or not if you don't want help been pushed into something is not going to help you. In order for these meetings to actually help someone you would have to be completely into it been open minded and open hearted. We often hear about our loved ones being alcoholics, the truth is alcohol itself is not a problem, however being a alcoholic is a disease. Once you fall into this most of the time it is very hard to recover from it, oftentimes there are those people that never recover and eventually die from psoriasis of the liver. Most of the time going to an alcoholic meeting is a very good starting point, this is saying to yourself, yes I have a problem. Once you can admit that
    You are a alcoholic you can start your recovery process. With all this been said and all the other people that have posted what they think, I would say yes that these meetings are well worth going to if you want to try to start a new live in the right direction.
  3. mikeqin

mikeqin Member

In AA, members meet in groups to help one another achieve and maintain abstinence from alcohol. The meetings, which are free and open to anyone serious about stopping drinking, may include reading from the Big Book, sharing stories, celebrating members’ sobriety