New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does alcohol make you happy?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Dominica, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

I hear some people say, "Drinking makes me happy." But does it really? What is it specifically that you enjoy about drinking?

Quote of the day to ponder:

“If alcohol made you happy, every time you drank you should be full of happiness. Let me ask you, from a purely physiological perspective, how could alcohol possibly make you happy? The effect of alcohol is to deaden all of your senses, to numb you, to inebriate you. If you are numb, how can you feel anything, happiness included? Surely, you are not happy every time you drink.” (From the book This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol)

Sure, that tipsy feeling that comes with the first drink does feel good… but that won’t last… then you’re always chasing that initial buzz….and that usually ends up not so good.

Just my random thoughts for today. Your thoughts?
  2. *Angel*

*Angel* Member

It makes me happy in the moment, which is why I tend to return to it. I am not an angry drunk per se and usually feel pretty darn good after a few drinks. The worst is I just get tired and fall asleep. HOWEVER - my misery comes the next day, when I am hungover and can't get out of bed. I am crippled with depressive thoughts and another day is wasted. What goes up must always come down. So is it worth it? Never. I feel I am slowly working to kick this nasty habit of mine but it is a slow uphill climb. All the best to you and everyone out there xxx
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@*Angel* hey there! thanks for sharing!!! i can totally relate to what you're saying, and my guess is many feel the same way!!! it all sounds so great at the moment, but then later on when you can't do anything but fall asleep...and then feel crummy the next morning...and yeah, wasted time. i have done that.

you are working toward kicking the habit... i find change does take time, and for me, the more i learn about addiction and recovery, the better it gets. i'm more of a social drinker... not very often, but once is more often than i'd like. i think there are MANY people these days not buying into the "social drinking is fun" brainwashing we've had since we were kids. i can have fun without drinking... maybe i'm a bit more reserved..so what? i like to go to bed in a good frame of mind and wake up feeling good :)

thanks again for sharing!
    *Angel* likes this.