An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does alcohol make you happy?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Dominica, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

I hear some people say, "Drinking makes me happy." But does it really? What is it specifically that you enjoy about drinking?

Quote of the day to ponder:

“If alcohol made you happy, every time you drank you should be full of happiness. Let me ask you, from a purely physiological perspective, how could alcohol possibly make you happy? The effect of alcohol is to deaden all of your senses, to numb you, to inebriate you. If you are numb, how can you feel anything, happiness included? Surely, you are not happy every time you drink.” (From the book This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol)

Sure, that tipsy feeling that comes with the first drink does feel good… but that won’t last… then you’re always chasing that initial buzz….and that usually ends up not so good.

Just my random thoughts for today. Your thoughts?
    lonewolves likes this.
  2. *Angel*

*Angel* Member

It makes me happy in the moment, which is why I tend to return to it. I am not an angry drunk per se and usually feel pretty darn good after a few drinks. The worst is I just get tired and fall asleep. HOWEVER - my misery comes the next day, when I am hungover and can't get out of bed. I am crippled with depressive thoughts and another day is wasted. What goes up must always come down. So is it worth it? Never. I feel I am slowly working to kick this nasty habit of mine but it is a slow uphill climb. All the best to you and everyone out there xxx
    Margusha likes this.
  3. Dominica

@*Angel* hey there! thanks for sharing!!! i can totally relate to what you're saying, and my guess is many feel the same way!!! it all sounds so great at the moment, but then later on when you can't do anything but fall asleep...and then feel crummy the next morning...and yeah, wasted time. i have done that.

you are working toward kicking the habit... i find change does take time, and for me, the more i learn about addiction and recovery, the better it gets. i'm more of a social drinker... not very often, but once is more often than i'd like. i think there are MANY people these days not buying into the "social drinking is fun" brainwashing we've had since we were kids. i can have fun without drinking... maybe i'm a bit more reserved..so what? i like to go to bed in a good frame of mind and wake up feeling good :)

thanks again for sharing!
    Josh111187 and *Angel* like this.
  4. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

I’d say for the normal drinker 1 or 2 drinks loosens them up maybe takes the edge off or makes them feel less inhibited. But they stop at one or two and don’t even bat an eye. Crazy I know! I am NOT a normal drinker. I don’t think I ever had a chance at being one. I remember my first drink, and the way it made me feel. I fell in love, like I had found gods gift for me. I think I crossed the line into infatuation and abuse from the get to. I knew that alcohol was meant for me. And once we cross that line there’s no going back. Alcoholism is a progressive disease right? So it certainly didn’t start off as badly as it ended. The self-loathing crept up on me. My life slowly got off track an inch at a time. They’re were times when it was fun and manageable. But only a handful of years in I drank to forget, I drank to get away from myself. I drank as an escape, I couldn’t stand to be alone with me. I too felt good, relieved, happier while I was drinking but eventually I had to come to. And every time I sobered up I felt lower than before. My thoughts for you @angel
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  5. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

@*Angel*
    Is your on here because you think you may have a problem. In my experience if you “think you might have a problem” you almost certainly do. Normal drinkers don’t question it. If you even have to question it, you’ve likely got it.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Alcohol never made me happy,it made me numb.I drank too blackout in all honesty.I had a deep hate for myself for most of my life and i have been in alot of shi×ty situations.I had to learn to fight young because i have a brother who is 3 years older than me with the mind of a 7 year old and he would get beat up at school alot so i started fighting for him and now that I think about it not many 6th graders are fighting high school kid's but i did often.My mom has several severe medical problems and without exaggeration i have saved her life 30+ time's also started that young the first time i was 8-9 year's old.I have held the hand of every family member that has passed away in my family as they took their last breath because it emotionally destroyed everyone else to much,ive done that 5 time's so far.I married an older woman with three kid's and helped raise them as best i could in my addiction to be kicked out after they were all grown,i realise my abuse with drug's and alcohol were probably the underlying cause.I drank too erase my heart,to kill my worry,to destroy my concern.I was a miserable drunk and now I'm sober still watching after mom,brother,and now i got this brilliant 7 year old sister my parent's adopted at 8 day's old and i won't allow her to feel the thing's I've felt i now must remain in my situation sober so this little girl get's a fair chance at happiness,as for myself NO drinking didn't bring joy but it erased pain and now I'm trying to deal with a life time of pain all at once,however I won't give up,i can't i have way to much running left to do....I know it's not funny considering it's causing me to need surgery but i have few coping mechanisms so i do the best i can
    deanokat, Josh111187 and Dominica like this.
  7. Dominica

deanokat and True concern like this.
  8. True concern

Thank you I'm trying
    deanokat likes this.
  9. RecoveringLife1

RecoveringLife1 Senior Contributor

Drinking for me didn't make me happy. It didn't numb me because it made me think about the situation even more. This is what I've learned from it. Alcohol delay certain emotions and pain. I remember when I was dating a Sheriff, I wasn't much of a drinker. This was in 2015. He wasn't much a of confrontational person which I thought made him suck for law enforcement. Whenever we would have a problem (he was very busy due to work), he would block me and then unblock me. After the second time, I left him alone for good. He wasn't the only person I've dealt with like that. It's funny. Most guys say they don't want drama, but they're the cause of it. I went through years dating guys who didn't want any commitment and the ones that did, were pretty lazy with it. So that's when I started to drink everyday. At first, I stopped caring about guys. But over a year of drinking all of the time, I ended up in jail because of it. So I got my act together for a while and then I met my current boyfriend. Started drinking a lot again and while I was drunk, I would get angry very quickly. The point is, alcohol is just poison. It's good for physical pain, but the amount you drink can escalate in a matter of days. It's best to just stay from it for good. All drinking has done for me is add problems on top of the problems I was trying to run away from. Now I'm right back where I started. No where. The lesson is, don't use alcohol or drugs to self medicate.
    Dominica, deanokat and True concern like this.
  10. True concern

@RecoveringLife1 I can relate to it added problems on top of problems,alcohol was a major player in really all of my bad decisions.I'm happy to see you are being a part of the discussion because it really is important to recover.All these people on this site have helped me so much and they still do,i am grateful for each and everyone of them.I don't know why but i am one of those people who can't figure out what to do now being sober other than the meds i take for my up coming knee surgery and in all honesty they piss me off because for several years i took pill's for the high then got sober started running blew my knee out and now i can't walk very good with out them...it really feels like a slap in the face at times but i try not to dwell on it or give the pills power over me by being defiant and running regardless which sucks because then i can't walk....anyways i got off track sorry about that.Ya Addiction is a son of a bit×h.Stay Strong and God Bless
    deanokat and RecoveringLife1 like this.
  11. RecoveringLife1

True concern You're right about everything. I'm glad I joined this website. I've gotten a lot of good advice already. I'll try my best to give as much knowledge as I can. I'm sorry about your knee. Just try to the meds as needed for pain. Following the doctors orders all of the time doesn't always work for everybody. Especially people who are addicted to other substances. It might help to slowly do strength training before trying cardio once your knee heals from surgery. Have you ever watched the show Mom? I highly recommend it. You will be able to relate a lot. Not many shows with comedy portrays a life of people with addictions.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. True concern

I have not seen the show mom,but I think this advice may help....Strength training first..I had thought about that and honestly didn't because i am already 6'1" 235lbs,not that i will get taller but it isn't easy to move 235lbs 4 miles per run and strength training will add more muscle and weight,but honestly I think i may do that.I love running and the thought of giving it up is upsetting to me,its all I've had sober.No friends,i don't see my wife and kid's often because i fuc×ed that up and i try to avoid my mom because she is all drama and my uncle would foam at the mouth to get me back on dope and watch me self destruct some more.When i got sober this last time i didn't tell anyone in my home and it took them over 3 week's to notice i didn't have any more alcohol around which whatever i did it this time for me and really I'm upset that i have to give up running for now but i must because i hate these pill's they have cost me everything i love and oddly enough they are taking away running to.........Sh×t
  13. RecoveringLife1

If you started off running without doing so gradually, that's what caused your injury When our body goes a while without exercising, it goes back into post mode. You have to start all over again. I don't recommend doing too much strength training after the surgery. I've done a lot of research on exercise and cardio alone will just damage your joints. It'll be best to do some physical therapy at a rehabilitation clinic so that someone can watch your structure and position to make sure you're doing it correctly (You'll do more harm than good if you don't). Once you build up enough strength to do cardio, try walking first. As time goes by, adding more time (from 15 minutes a day to 30 minutes a day, ect..), will get you back on track. As far as not getting any support from loved ones, I'm sure everyone will come around while you continue to stay sober. Healing takes time.
  14. True concern

Yep there is no doubt the first day at the gym after 15years off i ran 4 miles.After surgery i planned on taking it slow but before i thought what's it matter,but now it clicked i can't run the way i want to without pill's so running is another crafty trap brought to me by addiction...Sh×t i cannot put into words how pissed off that makes me.I don't sleep so i run,i haven't been able to sleep since i got sober almost 5 month's now so i don't know what to do now.....I guess i will just start building from the waist up until my knee is better.I simply can't just wait it out im not geared that way,i have to exhaust myself instantly as soon as i wake up or my thoughts get off track and i dwell on a lifetime of mistakes.I think I have to think.
  15. RecoveringLife1

True concern Doctors routinely suggest that their patients try home remedies before moving on to prescribed medication. Melatonin works for some people. I'm not sure if you've ever tried it before, it's worth a try. If that doesn't help, let the doctor know. They might give you something that's a little stronger. Chamomile tea is used to help people sleep as well. Try using them together, you may be surprised. As for being very restless and having to do tire yourself out, working out your upper body is a great idea. There's a thing called Position of Flexion. I was doing this routine before I pushed myself too hard and went to the hospital. I've tried to pull up the website I got it from but I can't find it. I'm guessing that after all of these years, the link was pushed back into the results on google. I have the work outs for each position written down and I drew little people in that position lol. When I find them, I'll post them. It's always and I mean always best to workout each body part every other day. Arms, shoulders, delts, biceps one day and then abs the next day. Then repeat. If you exercise for 6 days out of the week, take one day off. Do you have a computer? Typing a daily journal of all of your thoughts may help you clear your mind. It has helped me.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

I just found this thread and was honestly not really able to relate very well to anyone's opinion on alcohol.
    This is by no means a criticism of any one of you, if anything I feel somewhat embarrassed by the fact that I am even going to ask this question how educated I have become when it comes to opiate and benzodiazepines addiction. I'll be brief, any and all input is welcome please...
    1st beer on 15th bday. Three weeks later I had drank everyday, tried to stop, was not hung over at all was felling normal. About 8-12 hours after my last drink, (I in this 3 week time had gone from beer to wine to a bottle of wine to screw it liquors quicker), which was a pint of McCormick red label strait, began to feel drunk. Now this seriously confused me. The only experience I had with any type of drug at this point was my three week drinking binge.
    (With one exception when I was seven years old my grandma told me she would get me some medicine for my fever but she took to long and I went and took two hydrocodone 5s by accident. However later I realized the medication was making me feel good and was taken by ambulance to have my stomach pumped. My grandpa found me hiding under his bed with the bottle of pills I was chewing up next to me.)
    Since I didn't like at all this "dirty" drunk felling, it wasn't like the pleasant buzz I had been experiencing, and I remembered that i binged because I enjoyed the memory loss I thought maybe I could drink again and not be able to feel drunk like that. I drank another pint. Now I did have a job and regular income at this time and I was home alone most of the time I was not at work, so I was never caught drinking. And could always pay a homeless guy to buy me booze.
    Anyway when I drank that pint I did feel better but didn't achieve the buzz that I had been getting this far. Let me point out that my tolerance for alcohol from the start is through the roof and I'm a or was a functional alcoholic.
    This drinking to forget turned into drinking to not feel physically sick, i really never gave much thought to it. For me it was like if I had a headache then take alcohol. Sad, alcohol. Tired, alcohol. Couldn't sleep, alcohol.
    I never not once did I look forward to a drink. I just felt sick and had cravings like a starving man for it if I didn't drink daily. By the time I was sixteen I knew I had a problem and knew it had been a problem for a while. But I was mixing Gatorade and vodka and taking it to work with me, my brother and I were going to the gym and I even went to the gym with spiked Gatorade. I was 18 by the time my wife even suspected that I drank and we were married I had a nice apartment, was able to buy her a good car and make payments on my beloved camaro. I really was successful and so since I was young I just said that I would worry about quitting later. When Elizabeth found out I was for sure drinking I then just drank openly around her. But not everyday since I didn't want her to worry about me or get disappointed. When I was 19 years old I tried to quit. I even had done some miniscule research and knew it was not going to be easy. I took a week of vacation time and when withdrawal symptoms hit me I used that as an excuse to stay in bed and not have fun on vacation. Told her I had the flu or something and she believes this and I was still successful at hiding my problem. But the third day I started having siezures, just small ones and she got so worried she insist that I go to the hospital. I didn't want her to now find outwhat I had been keeping secret from her for 4 years. So I caved gulped down a half pint and was instantly cured. No hospital for me. That must have been some nasty bug.
    In 2015 Christmas day I started having horrible back pain and my skin was off color. That's when I went to the hospital for alcohol. My kidneys were failing. It was quit or dialysis and since I was a drunk transplant was no option. My grandfather paid for me to get inpatient treatment and I had a lithium detox. For 4 days I was also on an Vatican drip because the librium wasn't stopping seizures. I didn't tell them how badly I was addicted to valium at this point for fear of them taking me off benzos.
    Anyway I got off and never thought about it again, not one craving.
    I drank everyday, even paid off a guard in jail to get me alcohol, for 12years and the only reason I kept drinking was because I never wanted to get a hangover.
    This is nothing like my opiate addiction, I absolutely loved getting high and I know why I used those.
    But I never wanted booze I just wanted to feel ok.
    Is this alcoholism or just stupidity, or both. Why did I become so dependant on something I don't care for?
    Sorry I wrote a novel.
    lonewolves likes this.
  17. True concern

I will try the sleep aids as this is probably the 3rd or 4th time someone suggested melatonin.Unfortunately I don't have a computer,to poor to afford internet.
  18. True concern

Ya ok so obviously my drinking didn't start as a way to blackout or not care,i started drinking daily when i was about 12-13 year's old.A friend i had at the time had parents going through a divorce and the dad wanted his boys so he started allowing us to party and infact he would buy us a case of Lucky loggers every night and we would sit on the stairs and get sh×t faced this happened for about 2 year's and at 15 and a half during summer i had a friend whose dad owned a multi million dollar construction company and he asked me and one other friend to work for him for the summer and after summer he talked our parent's into putting use in home school so we could work full time year round.Well at 16 i made 39'000 dollar's that year and moved into my own apartment and had plenty of money to party.There was a liquor store we would cash our weekly pay checks at to keep the money off the books because even with a work permit we were far exceeding working hour's for minors and the dude that owned the store told me if i wanted beer to pay at the conter and he would set the beer in the back alley so i spent my time working and drinking.I had a hotrod at 16 and did alot of street racing and ya i guess it was fun for awhile,by 18 that case a night turned into a bottle and a case then i lost the job started stealing cars,got married,got arrested and so on.So for me i guess not drinking for almost 5 month's is huge for myself as it was always the one i consciously chose then once drunk i would chase the other's.Fast forward to 3 year's ago and well you know where it went from there
  19. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

When I drank I used to actually picture the word “confidence” going down my throat. Sometimes I t was a nice boost, for an hour or two, but most likely I’d end up passed out or in a corner crying by the end of the night.
  20. True concern

Ya it definitely effects people in different ways but it's always extreme in which ever way it effects