An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does alcohol make you happy?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Dominica, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

So if it was your go to drug, then you chased the other stuff and yeah I know you are lucky to be alive given you're cold turkey detox. What I'm trying to get at I guess does alcohol give some that euphoria like heroin? Because I've been in treatment with plenty of people who say if they could have only one high ever again it would be from alcohol.
    This truly baffles me as even though I got a little buzz at first the ONLY reason I kept drinking was to not get sick. I do not understand why people like alcohol. Is this just unique to me or having experience with both does it give you a euphoria?
  2. True concern

True concern Moderator

Yes in the beginning it's an amazing buzz and i second that if i could control one for ever it would be alcohol,however i know i can't and as of now i haven't in 5 month's
  3. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@lonewolves i've drank before for liquid courage, but always hated the feeling later in the evening.... this helped me stop drinking to try to feel confident.... and today i can admit if i'm anxious...
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  4. True concern

True concern Moderator

Ok so many questions I'm trying to figure out how to answer as best i can,So towards the end of my drinking i would drink until I didn't care and let me be clear in this time frame i wanted to die and now i feel terrible for being that way because it is my opinion that wanting to die is selfish because once your dead it is the loved one's who hurt and it's complex as im not trying to make light of wanting to end your life and this may read wrong but i know what I'm trying to say just can't find word's that express it well.So in the beginningiof my full blown down fall i would get drunk and act like an as×hole then my wife would get upset and i would inject a gram of meth and that would not only make me feel sober it would get me thinking about what a mess my life was so upon coming down i would get drunk again and i would think I'm not doing anymore meth so i would pop some xanax and Oxycontin and it eventually ended up into injecting heroin or Oxycontin so the euphoria maybe in the beginning but honestly i just hated myself and would push boundaries hoping to die.I thought that's what i wanted until i was told i had a month at best to live and had to look my wife in the face and tell her if i don't make it promise you will move on and re marry.I didn't know how much i loved her until I was losing her and this really haunts me as she is the most amazing human i have ever known and i miss her in a way I've never missed anything and though I'm sober now i feel selfish trying to re connect because she absolutely deserves better than i could ever give her.I would give her the moon if i could.She is working on herself right now and i have to respect that and i am happy she is and i am working on myself through this site sharing as thing's come back to me,So again thank each and everyone of you,you have no idea how much you all help me.I'm learning how to be accountable for honestly the first time in my life,well to myself and i struggle alot of time trying to figure out why i have lived the life i have but i believe God has a plan for each and everyone of us and maybe my purpose is to shed light on a dark situation in other's lives and i don't know for sure but at this point in my life this feels right and for once it's not just about me and it feels good to care about other's though I'm in my 30's i feel like i'm learning as a young adult and i believe the Ritalin and finally getting off it along with my other addictions has alot to do with that.So i know this response is all over the place and i apologize as i type it before i acknowledge it and i don't go back and change it anymore because i don't second guess myself sober and that's a good feeling.Anyways I hope i explained in a way that makes sense from a time period when nothing did.Stay Strong and God Bless
    deanokat and RecoveringLife1 like this.
  5. RecoveringLife1

RecoveringLife1 Senior Contributor

Wow. A lot has happened since I took a nap lol.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. True concern

True concern Moderator

Well good morning lol
  7. RecoveringLife1

lol Good morning. How are you feeling today?
  8. True concern

True concern Moderator

Not really sure.I'm tense and frustrated,with nothing particular just a nagging daily thing for awhile now.How are you?
  9. RecoveringLife1

Do you know what's making you feel that way? I'm okay for now.
  10. True concern

True concern Moderator

Honestly I think it is just trying to adjust sober and not hiding behind some substance it's really tough to figure out.This past 5 month's is the longest I've been sober since i was 6 so i am lost on coping skills
  11. RecoveringLife1

Is there any hobbies you used to do? Drawing, painting, anything like that?
  12. True concern

True concern Moderator

I had one.....running lol and that has kinda back fired
  13. RecoveringLife1

You could look for other hobbies that you may begin to like
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  14. True concern

True concern Moderator

Yes that is very true,im just trying to pace myself and not add any more stress or pressure than necessary as i'm still very early in recovery so i will find other thing's i can do and i will figure it out.Basically a big part of my recovery is not letting my thoughts get the best of me so at times i type down thing's just to release them and as thing's start bothering me i usually make a new thread in the Share your story section of this site.I have several threads up that maybe aren't your traditional threads for this site but i post them here because I feel comfortable here.I will find other hobbies i'm sure I just take one day at a time
    deanokat and RecoveringLife1 like this.
  15. RecoveringLife1

Have you ever considered checkers or chess? I used to play online checkers all of the time when I was younger and I got real good at it. Now I'm a little rusty. Chess is much more challenging, but I don't like that particular challenge so I've never played. Since I get bored so easily.
  16. True concern

True concern Moderator

I did not know they had either lol,ive never played chess but always wanted to learn
  17. RecoveringLife1

Not sure how to found them on windows 10. I believe you have to install it. I like the old systems when the games were already on the computer lol.
  18. True concern

True concern Moderator

I don't have a computer i do everything from my phone and data plan
  19. True concern

True concern Moderator

Maybe I can find something in the playstore lol
    RecoveringLife1 likes this.
  20. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@True concern my knees started bothering me, so I had to give up running... i do walk a lot, but i've found bike riding does not hurt my knees.... maybe that's something you'd be interested in too.