An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does an Intervention Work?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by ExpertAdvice, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Lately, I've been noticing the frequency of shows that depict a family who is so terribly affected by the addiction to substances of their loved one, so aggrieved by their demise, that they have decided to stage a televised intervention.

This entails all the concerned family members (usually immediate family), along with a withdrawal expert that they have consulted, coming together and airing their sorrow and concerns first amongst each other, and then organizing a strategy for them to be able to successfully approach the loved one who is on a downward spiral of drug addiction.

Televised or not, my question to you today is, do you think that staging an intervention is the best day to deal with the problem of addiction to substances amongst our loved ones, and in particular, our children?

If you don't think that this is the best or most sensitive method, could you suggest some methods that you've seen as proving successful, or that you know would be more effective?

The help is very much appreciated.

drug intervention.jpg
  2. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

I could see how loved ones might feel it is the right thing to do. If it is done with a well trained professional, and family relations are good, then it might be a good thing.

But I could also see a user feeling attacked, and feeling further isolated in a way, because they see everyone is "against" them, since they are against what they are doing. Especially if the relationship with some of these people is already strained from their using, and they have felt nagged and constantly criticized. So it could make them feel more alone, and have them break even further from the family.

I'm sure every situation is different though.
  3. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that interventions can work really well. Sometimes people don't know how their addictions are affecting everyone around them. They just need the people that are closest to them that they need to change. I think that can be a real shock to the system.
  4. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

I won't agree that interventions are the best way to help an addict. I feel that the addict would be nagged and humiliated when all of his loved ones would turn against something he likes to do. You gotta put yourselves in the shoes of the addict. Love is the answer. And an ultimatum. The most loved one by the addict can help understand the addict how his addiction is affecting their relationship and he has to set his priorities right, or else he/she won't have any choice but to leave. That warning oughta do the trick. You gotta let them know that you're gonna help them through this and stand by them through thick and thin. A few relapses are forgiven, given that he is actually trying to quit.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

In some cases this might be the best. If a factor in the child's getting into drugs in the first place is the lack of involvement of the parent in their life, then perhaps the parent stepping up to be the parent will show the child that they are not forgotten, that heir parents love them and want to do better as parents and help their child get back in the right track. Sensitivity to the child in question definitely needs to be a factor as not every child would respond that way. One solution is not going to be right for every family.
  6. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I think it depends on the personality and attitude of the addict. Interventions can certainly work, but oftentimes the addict feels attacked and gets angry. A one-on-one therapist may be the best first step instead of a family intervention.
  7. unique

unique Member

I can definitely see how this will help but of course it is going to take a little bit of effort in many different ways of helping someone to overcome their addiction. Intervention is great because you get to hear what your close family members have on their minds about the addiction without arguing and you are able to find a re-connection. But I feel like an intervention is not the only helpful thing that is going to be helpful on its own.
  8. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Different things work for different people. But I think that interventions would work really well with teens. Especially if it's someone who feels unloved and ignored, to see that people are taking time out of their lives to come together in the hopes to help them out can honestly mean a lot to that person, maybe even enough for them to seek help and treatment.
  9. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

As others mentioned, it definitely depends on the particular person.

Some people who completely reject the idea. They would feel attacked and wouldn't actually absorb any of the love and support they were being offered. It may even hurt them more so than they were already doing. Hopefully family members would be able to gauge this possibility before staging an intervention, though.