An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does anybody smoke weed to stay away from other addictions?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by TristanDH, Jul 12, 2015.

1. TristanDH

TristanDH Member

Hi, everybody.

I have a friend that was a crack addict eight years ago and then started treatment. His family thinks he relapsed some time ago because of changes in his behavior. When he hit rock bottom, his family decided to allow him have smaller addictions (some alcohol and weed), encouraging him to avoid the pipe.

Does anybody here has ever seen this same strategy? He stayed clean for the last eight years. I hope he didn't relapsed this time.

Peace out!
  2. MerMer21

MerMer21 Member

I personally have not had experience with this but do I see how it they would find it helpful. I know it's not the best thing to go from one drug to the next but weed definitely does not give you that shocking withdrawal behavior. However, alcohol and weed together seems kind of strange because, in my opinion, they sorta do the opposite of each other. I don't know though, people react differently to things. And perhaps you didn't mean that he does them both together.

Anyway, If that strategy is working, I'd say go for it, but it's not the first thing I'd recommend to an addict. I have nothing against weed really, I just feel like a crack addict has deeper rooted issues and any drug could trigger a relapse. Getting high on one thing is reminiscent of another high and eventually, weed won't be enough. I know his family is worried for him and they think that any change is good, but I just think being totally drug free is a much better/safer route. But 8 years is excellent. I hope he hasn't relapsed either!
  3. TristanDH

TristanDH Member

He usually uses alcohol and weed in small quantities and on different days. And he doesn't go overboard, too. It's the only way his family found to compensate his physical addiction to the pipe.

But he keeps the treatment and group therapy. I hope he didn't relapsed, too, because I have doubts about his body being capable to deal with all that stress again.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't know if I'd call alcoholism a small addiction. Look up it's withdrawal symptoms and you'll see what I mean. That being said, there is of coarse a benefit to switching from cocaine to pot in theory, but I haven't seen it done in practise and have no clue whether or not it would work seemlessly.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Well I have to tell you this is news to me. So he deals with the addiction by using weed and alcohol in small quantities? I obviously have never heard of this approach but I have to tell you it's different. I would be more than eager to hear of this person's 'progress'.
  6. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yes one of my friends who will remain nameless here used to have a drinking problem and used to drink around 7 bottles a day (very crazy). He recently started smoking pot during his rehabilitation meetings and such about the drinking problem.
  7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Not myself, but it's very common to find people that substitute one addiction for another.

When undergoing rehab treatment, they might be prescribed with substitute drugs that may or may not include marijuana, but ultimately have a risk to develop a second addiction.

When trying alone, people self-brainwashing them to make the switch, breaking with one addiction by replacing it with a new one, that could be nicotine, caffeine, or marijuana, mainly.
  8. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I think a big problem with this type of approach is that addiction is not always confined to one substance. To be clear, I'm not simply saying that addicts often use different substances (though that is also true). I'm saying that the escape that drug abuse offers can be found in a variety of things - not all of them drugs. I know of some people who have focused their addictive personalities on positive things: creating, exercising, helping others, etc. On the other hand, I've also seen people become just as dependent on the next drug or unhealthy behavior they discover. That is, they are addicted to the escape, and they'll try to find it anywhere.

It's possible there are exceptions, but I still don't think it is something I would recommend.
  9. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

I have known several people who smoked pot to quit drinking, and have also known people who used it to replace debilitating anti-seizure drugs. Nicotine can also be used to help control depression. E-cigs seem to work as well for this.
    Marijuana is also effective for replacing narcotic pain-killers. It is especially useful for neck pain.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

This used to be my reckoning a while ago, though it didn't work for me since I got in other more dangerous drugs shortly after. In my opinion, this drug is only used as a gateway one... unfortunately. And I guess people who are against it have all the founded reasons to do so.
  11. Winterybella

I'd think this is what likely would happen by substituting the lesser of two 'evils' not meaning to cause any offence. I am honestly quite surprise that this approach would even be considered. I am truly learning here. I much rather them be addicted to television or some sports like we have heard others speak of here.
  12. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

Oxycodone might be a gateway drug to heroin, but marijuana could only be a gateway drug to hashish, or maybe chocolate. If you are addiction prone, you might want something stronger or more suited to the chemical effect of opiates. Marijuana has entirely different effects than those of any other drug.
  13. srock

srock Member

It seems like a good idea using cannabis to help someone ween off of a harder drug with more serious consequences. As long as there is a plan in place to help this person recover from addiction altogether, including the small amounts of cannabis and alcohol. I am curious if this gentler approach might be more successful? It would need a structured plan so as not to cross into the territory of enabling.
  14. henry

henry Community Champion

An addict will take any kind of buzz, no matter how small it is, to avoid being sober. It's the, "Well, it's better than noything," kind of mentality. If I was him, I would stay away from the booze. It only takes a drunk night and the wrong company to start all over again.
  15. Winterybella

I tend to agree with you Henry. One drunk night and the wrong company and circumstance and the person is back where they started. Some still seem to think it's a risk worth taking.

I saw this online recently "According to a new study published last week by the National Institute of Health, cannabis may be an effective treatment in curing people of addiction from hard drugs such as cocaine and amphetamines." It's out there and for me it's still concerning.
  16. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Some people don't think that marijuana is a "hard drug," and they believe that heroin and cocaine are much more addictive drugs. It may be a gradual process for them, though, "downgrading" (heroin-marijuana-nicotine-alcohol-none) their drugs until they don't need them anymore.
    Especially if they haven't smoked marijuana before, there's always the chance they're going to get addicted to it, perhaps even more than the drug that they were originally going to be rid of.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I have not heard of this type of situation before. Most guys I know that have come off of Meth, I assume by you saying the "pipe", that's what you meant, they do not use any other drug or alcohol in fear of relapse back into Meth again.

But it sound like a weak excuse that most pot heads used to justify their usage. "I smoke weed because it's natural and it's not bad like Meth". Which is just garbage. It saying that you chose the lesser of two evils. It's still wrong.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, this is only my opinion, but I think trying to cure a drug addiction with another drug, is stupid. I say cold turkey is the way it should be. Treating it with another drug reminds me of Zeno's paradox, the one with Achilles and the turtle. Substitute distance for drug use and it's the same principle.
  19. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Yeah I could see it, whenever I quit weed for a bit I usually start to heavily drink to replace it. A lot of people aren't addicted to a certain substance themselves but the feelings or lack of feelings that it provides them and they can get that from a wide variety of ways, but I would rather be conked out on weed than doing bath salts.
  20. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I know quite a few people that have turned to cannabis to stay away from other addictions. One of my associates used to do cocaine on and off. She would not have a dry period of more than a week. One day she asked for some cannabis and I got her to apply for a med card. Ever since she began, she has not gone back to cocaine once. All you individuals saying "trading one drug for another" have never seen the true ills of the worse drug. I would rather have her be high all night than worry about her overdosing and never seeing her again. Many of these people only read about the struggle. They however do not understand it.