New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does corporal punishment help?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by remnant, Apr 15, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I remember when we were in primary school when corporal punishment was the main method of correction. We dreaded to cross the teacher's or our parent's path though they usually commended those of good conduct. Even after school, we had a lingering reverence for our former teachers and our parents up to this day courtesy of the rod not being spared. This acted as a deterrent against indulging in vices, at least not in the open. This no doubt deterred most of us from addiction.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

When you plant corporal punishment in the mind of a child as the reward for misbehavior; the child either goes the right way or the wrong way. Depending on how much he/she fears the parent/teacher.

At 29, my younger sister who is presently independent still hears my mother's voice in her head when she wants to be a little irresponsible. This is because we were raised with the threat of corporal punishment; don't do drugs, no night parties, no boys until marriage, no drinking and no going out without your family members knowledge.

In my opinion, corporal punishment does help.
  3. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I don't like corporal punishment... Schools here in the US don't do them. I have a two-year-old daughter and I hardly ever soank her. If I do it's to get her attention not to hurt her.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Corporal punishment or any punishment can work only for as long as the child is terrified of the parents or other authority figures who may punish them if they use drugs. But as they only have to wait a short while before they have the freedom to do whatever they please, if they want to they could start experimenting and eventually end up being drug addicts. So IMHO, any form of punishment will get good results for a short while but in the end it will be ineffective.