An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does different Alcohol affect you differently?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by L_B, Jul 13, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When my partner drinks beer, for the most part, he is good. He is a happy drinker then. Whenever he drinks whiskey or most hard liquor I guess he becomes an angrier person. His personality completely changes. He doesn't drink it often and I won't let him buy it because I know what he is like. Every once in awhile we will be a party and somebody gives him a shot or two of hard stuff and it always has the result. I don't like that side of him at all.
  2. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, the harder the drink, the drunker you get. Getting drunk is getting drunk, no matter the drink. If you drink enough of anything with alcohol in it, you will eventually get wasted. Seems like your partner has an specific alcohol level that makes him a happy drunk, and another one that makes him an angry drunk. Try to make him stick with the happy drunk level.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think that most of us have at least one drink which really does not agree with us. I can drink beer and brandy until the cows come home but whisky, gin and tequila are complete no-go areas for me. These drinks turn me into a nasty cow so the easiest thing is just not to drink them.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Are you sure that when he does drink beer he doesn't just drink a few beers? Maybe he likes whiskey more and ends up drinking more of it? I have noticed drunk people always go thru different phases, first super happy, know it all, sad etc. When I drank too much I ended up feeling so sad.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I agree with the above statement. The harder the drink you want to take is, the drunker you will become as a result. Though if you're strictly referring to the side health conditions that you might develop, that's a completely different kettle of fish. If you want to avoid that, then don't become an alcoholic! Chirrosis among alcoholic pacients becomes more and more frequent I'd say.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

The fact of the matter is that beer, whiskey, rum, wine, etc. all contain the same drug; ethanol. What the drug is mixed with makes no difference. Just like mixing cocaine with sugar would most likely yield the same results as cocaine mixed with flour. If the ABV is higher though, it can make it easier for one to get drunk. So no, different alcohol doesn't affect people differently, but a higher ABV can.
  7. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yes, different alcohol that I drink has a different impact on me.
    The worst is vodka because I don't know when I get drunk and just loose control,
    I remember drinking this Russian vodka I had drank it only with my friend, I threw up many times after it.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Plenty of different factors here (ABV, individual constitution, etc.) that would affect this. I know I have a limit where a switch flips and I go from happy to depressed, which usually happens with certain hard liquor since it’s stronger. But it also kind of depends on liquor for me. Vodka, whisky, and tequila I could mostly handle, and if I overdid it I was more likely to become physically ill rather than depressed. Rum and gin were the ones I couldn’t handle.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I use to be a beer drinker and I can drink that all night. I think I never got really drink off of it because of the fact that it got me bloated and that would control how much I would drink. For some god awful reason, the girls in my circle loves Tequila, and I can't stand that alcohol. The smell makes me want to vomit. Tequila will always make me drunk and act really weird. Must be the taste.
  10. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Yep. I don't have any that necessarily make me angry, but when this does happen, it's usually because of the amount of overall alcohol....not necessarily the liquor type itself.

It takes quite a bit of beer to get drunk so people tend to get there slower. You start adding in hard liquor, though, and all of a sudden, you can go from 0 to 100 in a matter of minutes.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of people tend to react different depending on what they drink. Personally when I drank lager I was fine, a happy drinker but if I went on to the shots or the spirits, especially vodka for some reason, I quickly got depressed and things.
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thank you everybody for all the great answers. My partner drinks large amounts of beer when he does drink. He could drink it all day long. It is nothing for him to start at noon on a Saturday and go right through until after midnight. Yes he does get wasted but when it comes to hard liquor a couple of shots of it and you immediately see the change in his personality. Not sure actually what does it. It might be just the combination of it both mixed together. Usually he doesn't just drink hard liquor, it is usually a combination of beer and whiskey that sets him off.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yes, your husband may not get along that well with whiskey and hard alcohol. His body probably got used to beer so he doesn't react that poorly to it.
    To answer your question: I think it comes down to the person you're talking about, but the quantity of alcohol is what's really important.