An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does discouraging kids from smoking help?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by ryan0039, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I think the right kind of education will help. You got to take your kids into confidence, be patient with them and clearly explain the fallacies of smoking, drinking and drug addiction. In addition, you got to strictly follow yourself, what you teach them. If you don't have clean habits, they don't attach much credibility to what you say. A positive atmosphere also discourages a child from taking to drugs.
  2. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Just keep on reminding and show the effects.
  3. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

I don't think so. I think a rational conversation would be much better. I would try to not come across as preachy and try to explain to my kid what I see as the reasons why people smoke and why it's a bad habit. Arguing probably wouldn't solve much and I like to draw away from it. We all know how most teens are and I think this would be a great way of reaching out and trying to solve the issue.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I can't remember my parents ever having a conversation with me about drugs or alcohol. I was brought up in a christian home and I guess it was understood that these were things you did not get involved in. In the end none of my brothers or sisters got involved. It just turned out that way.

When it came to be my son I would casually inquire whether or not he had any interest in any substances and he has always said it doesn't interest him and if it ever does I'll be the first to know. Sadly nephews from the same environment ended up abusing. I just think it's about the individual's mind and sometimes all the discouragement does not work.
  5. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

Personally I do think that it should start at a young age and I think that they should force teachers to not smoke on or near the school grounds. When I was growing up, I did have a teacher who smoked every few hours and we would always see him through the window. During our classes, he would be the one who would say "don't smoke, its bad for you", but really now, can you really say that if you're doing it yourself? It was very hypocritical.

I don't smoke and a few things that helped my friends stop, was seeing how the lungs would look years down the road. I think that teachers should have scientists come into the school with a healthy lung and a lung who belonged to someone who smoked. This would definitely strike fear into their hearts I think.
  6. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

Once you see that their smoking, I guess you have to explain the repercussions and consequences it would mean to them. Also I think it would be great if you don't smoke to so that they'd see how vital it is not to smoke. Don't nag them too much as well. They'd be more pressured and/or think of doing it some more to piss their parents off. Just try to talk to them out in a calm manner.
  7. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I definitely feel that the more you forbid kids to do things like smoking and drinking, the more they are going to want to do exactly that. You need to have the right balance of explaining to these kids that drugs are not good for you, without making them want to rebel.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

Children have been exposed to latest technologies. Product advertising is really on the rise. Whatever your child does not learn at home they will learn about it somewhere including the media. Since we are unable to fully monitor them, are we supposed to assume that these advertisements do not affect them? I doubt. We do it as precautionary measures to what they daily learn. This makes them ready to encounter whatever our societies offer so that they will have the ability to choose right from wrong.
  9. Rholm

Rholm Member

Kids will be subject to a lot of encouragement, and discouragement, to try various things. The important thing is to try and educate a child on how to make rational decisions for themselves and dispel the illusion of what smoking or whatever they wish to try provides to a child. Education is the best form of prevention.
  10. llfsa

llfsa Member

For what it's worth, my opinion is that encouragement in a standardized, impersonal way is definitely going to do more harm than good. The key is to find a balance between advice and critique making your intervention that much more effective.
  11. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

I don't think I remember ever getting any kind of talk about smoking being bad for me, and even if I did I would have just brushed it off. I think it would be much better to wait until you get to the beginning of high school, and then to scare the crap out of children, not by trying to make not smoking cool and fun.
    I would even make it legal to smoke, I really would legalise it. Or something along those lines, as it's usually an act of rebellion. If my school teachers were like yeah, go ahead, smoke if you want to, your going to **** up your lunches, shorten your life, look ashy and grey, not be at all sexy, only be attractive to other smokers, and basically rob youself of an advantage.., I might have quit...
  12. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I don't think that it makes any difference. my mother has warned me many times to not smoke in the future,
    right now I smoke and her warnings didn't have an impact on my decision to start to smoke.
  13. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

I think the entire substance abuse program needs a major revamp. My personal experience with DARE was positive, but as I grew older I quickly identified most of the lies, propaganda, and scare tactics before I even started experimenting. Because of these tactics, I really didn't take anything away from DARE other than the police would get you if they caught you.

I think it would make so much more sense to explain drugs AWAY from a legal perspective. Instead, maybe we could try to take a historical approach. Explaining that humans are naturally inclined to seek out altered states of consciousness, but there are other appropriate and socially acceptable ways to do so without drugs.

I think it would have helped me more if they focused on ADDICTION rather than the substances themselves.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

All of us were children sometime in life, and all of us were advised to avoid doing this or that but, what was your attitude about?

Depending on your mood or the desired thing, you might have obeyed your parents... or do exactly the opposed defying them, or wanting to try on your own to get convinced how wrong or right they were.

Later, you might have been thankful for listening to them, or blaming yourself for not having done it.

Put this into a modern context and is exactly the same. You can discourage kids from smoking but, depending on their attitude, thoughts, inner desire and many times bad companies too, they may try smoking at some stage of their lives.

By doing this, they might feel discouraged by themselves after a negative experience, but sadly they are exposed to addiction if they find it "enjoyable."
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, my mom talked to me about the dangers of certain drugs when I was little, I think that helped me stay away from really awful things like meth... and heroin. Honestly I think the only reason i never did heroin is because I'm an OCD sufferer and have been since I was little (but my OCD didn't manifest until I was 17 or 18) and needles and the possibility they could be dirty creeps me out so badly... But in a way, I think all my mom talk stick in my head... in a way I do think all that talk stopped me from doing something worse.