An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does drinking make you more creative?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rosyrain, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have noticed that when I drink a glass of wine at night I am more settled and able to work on my creative projects or writing that I do as a side job. Does the wine just relax me so I can concentrate more, or is my mind just playing tricks on me?
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I always thought drinking made me a better writer.
    It also made me a great singer and dancer.
    And my jokes were suddenly a lot funnier.
    And I was really, really hot

And then I realized I was just drunk

I wasn't drinking a bit of wine, though. I was drinking ANLOT of beer everyday. In moderation I believe it really could get the creative juices flowing.
  3. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

First of all, I think the type of alcohol one consumes has a lot to do with what the after effects on your state are. Beer might make you cranky, wine could calm you down or whiskey could make you more talkative. It varies strictly depending on the individual. There's always the chance that all alcoholic beverages simply strip you off your filters and you are able to express what's been hiding beneath them. That's one possible explanation of why you had that surge of creativity.
  4. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I believe that it does make you more creative. I like to drink when I am writing my poetry. I like to listen to music when I write and alcohol really makes me feel the music. If I am into the music, my words will flow a lot smoother. I am also able to express my emotions better when I am tipsy or drunk. I can see why people drink when being creative because it does help in my opinion.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't know about more creative necessarily, but I find it lowers your inhibitions of course, and that lets out a different side of people - and a consequence of that may be an increase in creativity that one may not express when they are sober.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think alcohol in moderation can help the brain relax and so I guess it will help people be a bit more creative. The problem is most people don't stop when they have had enough and keep drinking.

That certainly applied to me anyway and I think I drowned my creativity by drinking till I was oblivious

If it can help creativity, what kind of things will it help with? I'd suggest more creative conversation or writing rather than anything else.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Probably. My college professor told our class before that when she was still in graduate school, she used to drink alcohol before attending her subjects so that she would be able to express her ideas creatively without being nervous or self-conscious. As for me, drinking alcohol somehow boosts my confidence.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'll be honest. Alcohol will cloud your judgement and therefore you will be set into a different mind frame. So you might not think logically. You might call it creative, I just call it drunk.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Drinking always curbed my personal expression. In other words, when all my inhibitions were magically swept away by a couple of vodkas, I was able to speak with utter confidence in front of large crowds. It was part of my job in the past to give public speeches and presentations. For an introvert like me, that was always the hardest part of my work. When I was sober, I would cringe at the thought of addressing large groups. But when I was slightly intoxicated, I actually loved it. It was as if some different energy took over and I was successful with what I was doing.
    It took me a long time to utilize this talent in a natural way. In the end I figured that it all came down to my wrong way of thinking.
  10. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Drinking does break down any walls that you had and makes you more free. Or at least give you illusion that you are free, but in actuality you are under the influence. Creative juices could flow, but than again so wold emotions. That why some people start crying or start fights. They do stuff they don't normally do.
  11. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Not really. I do tend to get more "into" art and music when I am drunk, but as far as my output, it's total crap when I am sauced, even if I am just mildly drunk. The stupidest most mundane things suddenly become all "profound" and I end up going down a rabbit hole of complete silliness and nonsense that I'm embarrassed to even read when I sober up the following day.

Also, when I start drinking, my productivity goes completely down the drain since I start getting side tracked with all sorts of other videos, music, and reading, and I never finish what I am attempting to work on in the first place.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

No, not at all. I play guitar, and everytime I got drunk, I couldn't play a note. I've been in a couple of bands, and there was always someone designated to keep me sober until the gig was over. Everytime I got drunk and got on the stage, I was booed off. So, no, I don't thing it helps with creativity. On the contrary, it craps it up.
  13. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Never. I don't even know why some would say that creativity is the effect of alcohol to them. It doesn't make sense to me though.
  14. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I think that's right, drinking makes you more creative until at some point. I remember reading in a book, something like Stephen King's life, he stated that he would get totally wasted before starting writing some of what later turned to be his best books. I can also recall an episode from my life, when I was getting something like 2L of beer along with a friend, then we would've start thinking and talking about the most random facts we could think about, but conversations like those I've never had with anyone, it was something different. Alcohol puts you in a different state of mind, but it's not worth it getting addicted to it for that.
  15. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Seriously, this is funny. I have not seen a drunk creative person. Although it could be used to lower your inhibitions so you could perform in a huge crowd. But still, I won't consider it as a creative substance.
  16. Mara

Mara Community Champion

For me, no. Drinking does not make me more creative. It makes me sleepy. So I tend to doze off hence I produce nothing. Back in the day, it was usually the combination of coffee and cigarettes that made me more creative. Or so I thought. Then I realized, my being creative does not depend on whether I drink coffee or smoke, they just help me stay awake when I’m trying to meet or beat the deadline.
  17. I think people need to be very careful posting positive comments here about a correlation between increased creativity and alcohol consumption. It seems like it could be a slippery slope towards alcoholism to me, and even if this does not happen in the majority of cases, this is what we are here to try and prevent. If someone has a job that relies on creativity and believes that alcohol helps them then I could conceivably see alcohol consumption getting out of hand.
    In my experience (which may or may not be shared by others), alcohol tends to encourage me to be more confident with creativity - so with singing, artwork, etc - I will PERCEIVE that I am doing an amazing job at what I am doing. But when sobriety hits, or with advice from others, it is clearly not as incredible as I thought when I was under the influence.
    I would suspect that if something creative was attempted before and after alcohol consumption, the sober version would often be of better quality.
  18. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I always thought that drinking made me more creative and that I did my best work when I was drunk until I realised that was not true and I had to turned into a clichéd alcoholic writer. I now realise drinking did one thing, it made me worse at stuff, it made me me sloppy and lazy and looking back at some stuff I wrote when I was drunk, well let's just say that when the drink is talking, it makes no sense.
  19. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Not to mention that your grammar sucks probably. I have gone back to look at some things I have written after having a drink, and the quality of my work was also poor. Some of the actual content though was really good and creative so there was that aspect of it.
  20. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I've been that way all my life. I play music & it seemed when everyone turned to marijuana to help them creatively I would turn to alcohol. The truth is it did. I'm not making any bones about that. However, it was a crutch. I could easily walk without it but I relied on it heavily to help me beat writer's block/creative blocks. It also worked to motivate me. Which had a lot to do with how I arranged my habit as well.