An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does going cold turkey work?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by elles-belles, Jan 27, 2015.

1. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Cold turkey is a rather popular way of quitting a smoking addict for most people. A friend of mine wants to try this strategy, stopping all at once without the assistance of any medication, nicotine replacement methods and so forth! I have heard that this strategy although popular only works for a fraction of people. I'm yet to see how far my friend will go, I do hope she cracks it.
    Have you ever tried it or do you know somebody who has? Does going cold turkey really work?
  2. Jumcakes

Jumcakes Member

I have a friend who tried it - however he was successful merely because he knew somebody who had also attempted the strategy and been successful. I guess cold turkey is a very viable method provided that they have the willpower and also that their life is in a particularly stress-free position, as quite clearly people tend to resort to smoking as a means of relaxation if they are anxious or feeling frustrated at something.
  3. elles-belles

Thanks Jumcakes, I know that quitting anything you are addicted to is really a long and hard process especially with no or little support! I'll just support my friend, spur her on and hope for the very best. I have heard that some people do manage to quit smoking using the cold turkey strategy.
  4. forehandflick

forehandflick Member

As Jumcakes said, all it takes is the willpower. That said, however, I believe that going 'cold-turkey' is more of a mind test than anything else. Building up a method of quitting to be the most difficult will make it seem more difficult. Companies who manufacture the Nicotine patch or e-cigs only consider their methods easier because they make money from it, which isn't exactly fair.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have friends and relatives who have used this method and succeeded. I personally think it's the best way to go about it since it shows decisiveness. Weening off sometimes has he risk of giving you room to not commit as much whereas going cold turkey pretty much just gives you the options of either moving on or staying the same.
  6. elles-belles

I have to say, you make a valid point there forehandflick, some of these companies' products make things worse instead of better. It definitely is about money.
    Thanks Charli, that makes so much sense...with going cold turkey you have zero excuses to make and no plan B to fall back on i guess. It's either you do it or not. This is all very helpful everyone, thank you!
  7. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I think going Cold Turkey is the ONLY option. The people I know who went to rehabs and who use "clinics" to wean down off of drugs only end up seeking more out or repeating. It comes down to not only willpower but the choice to want to stop. The effects are often devastating - cold sweats, screaming, fevers, shakes. But if you will it, and want to change, then you will.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Cold Turkey is the only way that I can think of to permanently quit smoking. In my experience it was all about gaining control over my habit. I wanted to take full responsibility for my actions and needed to feel all those withdrawal symptoms in order to get clarity and new insights into why I was addicted to cigarettes. It turned out to be a fascinating and somewhat painful journey of discovery...
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I disagree. I think it's the method that shows the most conviction and promise but like most things there's more than one way to reach a certain goal. This method might work for some but if some other method works better for others then they should be encouraged in that path as well, in my opinion, as long as there is sincerity in the person involved.
  10. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

True enough that sincerity means alot, and I even referenced it in my post. I don't believe for the reasons I stated though; at least around where I'm at. The people who use clinics even after showing sincerity around here often end back up in the same scene once they leave rehab and they're not being watched. I guess I'm just jaded after years of seeing the same cycle repeat itself. True enough that also that different paths work for different people and some might take well to indoor rehabs and quit and never use again - but those aren't the people who to whom I was saying cold turkey was the ONLY option. If you're a heavy user and have a bad history of relapse, I'm sorry - clinics who just give you more drugs to take you down off of a drug are just handling it completely wrong.
  11. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

I tend to agree that for anything one is addicted to "cold turkey" is the best option. I was severely addicted to junk food. I tried so many times to cut back and taper off but it was that one bite that led to the next bite that led to the next and so on. I finally had to just cut off all junk food for a period of time to really get over it. It was too easy to think "well, I have already had a few bites, I might as well keep going" and I bet that happens to most people.
  12. Have you ever tried something, and it didn’t work out as you planned? The early settlers of America at Roanoke, Jamestown, and Plymouth, made mainly three mistakes and eventually learned from them as shown in their colonies. In short, the English settlers learned from their mistakes in colonies.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

For some it does I went cold turkey twice on alcohol. I was a big drinker to it wasn't like I drank every once in awhile. I drank a lot almost every day I was a drunk. The first time I went cold turkey for 5 months. I started back, and drank again for another 7 years I would say. The second, and last time I went cold turkey has been wonderful I'm still clean, and sober after 4 years so it's working for me.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I have a friend who quit smoking cold turkey. On December 31 2012 as he smoked the last cigars he'd bought, he told me starting the new year [2013] he would stop smoking. I didn't believe it. However he managed to get by and I helped keep him busy playing checkers with him when he felt weak. It worked for him. If you are committed to doing it, I suppose nothing is impossible.