An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does hypnosis work?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 14, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Does hypnosis work as a treatment for addiction? I've heard people claim it does, because it uses the person's subconscious to modify their behavior in the desired way, getting them to instinctively refuse using whatever they're addicted to and thus helping getting rid of the addiction.
    Is there any truth to this? Have you or your family or friends tried this method?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have a friend who offers hypnosis treatment to get rid of addictions, especially smoking. She claims that in two or three 60 minute treatments she can help almost 80% of the people who come and visit her. I don't know if it is true, as most people don't come back after those treatments and aren't heard of again. I think if I did anything like that, I would like to be connected with various support organisations that offer back-up. I'd like to do it as a complementary treatment, and not put total emphasis on the successful outcome of a couple of hypnosis therapy sessions.
  3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I think that it's definitely a possibility, though considering I've never tried it before and I've never known anyone who has tried it and had it succeed or fail, I can't be certain. I guess anything is possible even if I haven't seen it before, and it might work for some people and not for others, but there's no point in not believing in it just in case it could be true and just in case it could seriously help a lot of people.
  4. globulon

globulon Member

I have to admit that I do not understand how hypnosis works, if it even does. Perhaps it could help as treatment for addiction if the patient believes it works, so a placebo effect. If an addict is looking for an external reason to seek help, maybe hypnosis can facilitate the beginning of their recovery.