An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does it bother you when people talk about how they are 'so addicted' to something?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by CrowdedHighways, Jul 1, 2015.

1. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

For example, a person may say that they are 'so addicted' to Facebook, chocolate or a video game. Does it annoy you or are you indifferent? Do you think that it makes light of what you have gone through?
    missbishi likes this.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I'm a convinced believer that we were given with freedom of choice to do whatever we think is right even if it's wrong.

I don't care if people are "so-addicted "to something unless they are close to me enough to affect me, affect their family and friends, or simply affect himself/herself, in which case I try to give my advice and helping hand to get him/her out of an addiction that is being destructive or that is interfering terribly with his/her personal life.

This latter mostly related to addiction to Facebook or activities that, in example, may keep a person doing nothing but being in there, forgetting about going to work, or do this and that.

Other than this, whatever someone is addicted to, is merely freedom of choice, as is my freedom of choice let them be.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One thing I know about addictions is that an addict never will admit that they are addicts because they live in denial. They think they are in control and until they get to that point where they must seek help, you'll never hear them say a word about addictions.

Many of these people who say they are addicted to social media, etc, etc have no idea what an addiction really is. But it never really annoys me when I see them use the words. Ignorant, that's what they are. Addiction isn't something anyone should be proud of.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Rosyrain and MyDigitalpoint like this.
  4. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

It doesn't me annoy me at all because most people I know just want to talk and not to listen. At the same time I am happy that they don't have more serious issues, great that's just a FB addiction for example.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It doesn't really annoy me either to be honest. People say a lot of things but use term like that as just an expression, people don't actually believe they're addicted in the true sense of the word.
  6. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Unless a person actually asks for help I pass it off as just another comment. Its not annoying at all unless they start throwing the term around unnecessarily which would bother everyone in my opinion.
  7. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

I will have to agree with all of you here, I also do not find it to be annoying at all and I am happy that they have not actually experienced actual addiction. However, I also know that, having actually gone through an addiction, I personally will never use that term to refer to something like chocolate cravings as an addiction, because I know what it actually means to go through that.
    Winterybella likes this.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It may not be the best choice of words, but I don't find it terribly annoying. People aren't always careful with their words, so it's far too easy to become annoyed with what they may say - better to let it go, even if I can see where some might find it insensitive. And there are much worse things that could become common figures of speech.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

It does.
    It diminishes the reality of addiction, it trivializes it.
    It's the same when people say they are "OCD" about something.
    OCD is a very real and terrible condition.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The word "addicted" is loosely used nowadays, so I really don't mind if people use it to describe how much they love doing or eating something. I just let them be. There's far more pressing issues that deserve my annoyance. :)
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It does not annoy me because I know they are just using the term addiction as a figure of speech. They really enjoy their said addiction like Facebook or chocolate, but their lives would not be that much different if they were to just suddenly stop. You do not hear alcoholics going around saying "I am sooooo addicted to beer!" It is usually a quiet truth that they know about themselves. It is those who do not openly admit to being addicted to something that scare me.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That really gets my goat too. When people say they are "OCD" because they like to make sure their desk is neat and tidy, I just want to cringe.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

When people do that, it actually does bother me slightly more, and I’m not sure why. I know it’s equally out of ignorance rather than malice, but it makes me flinch nonetheless. I still try to let it go rather than get too annoyed, though.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Not at all, OP, you can indeed be addicted to those things... those are behavioral addictions and are so damn real, I know because I've had to deal with them in the past. So I don't mind if someone says that, even though they might be exaggerating and are not so addicted as they say they are. I get them because I understand how they feel! Behavioral addictions suck.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am not easily bothered, so I would have to say it doesn't annoy me or am I indifferent when people speak of "addictions" to one thing or another. Addiction is one of those very popular words in the dictionary so it's used appropiately and inappropiately. I say this as a person who's has not dealt with any kind of drug or alcohol addictions.

I am thinking if a person a recovering addict, it might be irritating to hear the word used loosely but many times people are unaware of how damaging a seemingly innocent word can be.
  16. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

I think these are words that people use casually, and have become to describe all sorts of habits. Getting annoyed at them for doing it though is pointless. No one wants to hear someone go on a moral crusade over the casual use of a common word. People will just find you annoying.
  17. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

It really does bother when they talk about things they don't know about. For example getting to caffeine or alcohol isn't funny and more people should be aware of the kind of bad things an addiction brings to an individual. I think they should to express themselves better to avoid confusions.
  18. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Sometimes yeah, they just do not understand the severity to it, at least I understand they aren' trying to be dicks about it and make light of the actual issues, they are just using it as a means of speech.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I guess I just don't give much care about what other people are saying because no, those things don't affect me that much, and I also don't find them annoying. But yeah, we all have the freedom of speech but also, we should know how to practice it appropriately.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There are times that they will discuss to me that they are addicted to something but it is just expression. I mean it is not real addiction like someone would say that she is addicted to facebook but she can manage not to check facebook for a day when out doing activities. Being addicted is severe case that you feel you cannot live without it even a moment.