An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does it hurt when you snort cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Nick Anthony, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Just like the title asks. Does it hurt when people snort cocaine? I think I'd be too afraid to snort that up my nose for fear of my not being able to breathe through my nose afterwards.
  2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Not really, not unless you got some bad stuff cut with a lot of filler. Some people will cut it with crap like aspirin or caffeine pills, which can cause irritation. Usually if there is any sort of bad cut in there, you'll just start getting a really runny/stuffy nose, making it even harder to snort any more lines.

Cocaine itself actually numbs your nostrils. In fact one of the things people used to use as "cut" was powdered Novocaine, which tricked people into thinking it was "real" cocaine because of the numbing sensation they got from it. It's also rather common for people to do "nummies" with the remaining scraps of cocaine that they have - basically rubbing the powder over their gums for an extra rush.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The quick answer to that is...no. I think everybody is a bit aprehensive at first just like when you try anything for the first time but you don't actually feel anything to be honest. Like the above post says it does depend on how it's cut and what it's cut with but in general I dont know anybody that as felt any pain as such by snorting it.
  4. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I've always been interested in what snorting something feels like, it always seemed like it could be quite uncomfortable, but interesting to hear it's not usually painful at least. Maybe if it hurt more it could be a good deterrent though.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I've never tried cocaine yet, but whenever I watch movies that feature drug users who snort cocaine such as Magnolia and The Wolf of Wall Street, it feels kind of painful to me. :confused:
  6. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

Unless you get Coke that has been cut alot then yes it can hurt but for 95% of the time it is a numbing effect that not only numbs your nose but in turn numbs your mouth and throat. I used to love doing coke during my drug years, the only problem I had with it then was it took way more than meth did to get high. Now you wanna talk about hurting, snorting a line of meth surely does the trick there. It burns a whole heck of a lot but never really deterred me, seeing as I used to put it in my water bottles I'd carry around and it was just as effective. Should I have put a "Do Not Try This At Home!" disclaimer on that last statement? Just answering your thread. :)
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it hurts because if it did I doubt this many people would be doing it. The most important thing about experimentation is to be responsible and smart about it, so if you're bound to do it you just have to make sure you are getting a product that is safe to use and also you should be 100% sure that you are mentally and emotionally mature enough to take it on.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

No, snorting cocaine doesn't hurt at all. It does, however, cause you to sniff a lot afterwards. In fact, not only does cocaine have an antidepressant effect but it also works as a local anesthetic therefore, if anything, it causes a numbing sensation which would eliminate any pain anyway, at least for a short period of time. It was actually used legally as an anesthetic for a while.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh no, in fact it's usually quite the opposite. Cocaine gives a numbing sensation to the skin which it touches so you don't really feel a thing as it's going up your nose. I believe that it's chemical relatives, Novocaine and Lidocaine are used as anaesthetics in dentistry and minor surgery.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I think that is half the reason most people liked it to begin. Right away your nose and back of throat are instantly numbed. I used to really enjoy it when I was using. Cocaine is the least burning of all the things I used to put up my nose.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I haven't tried it either, but The Wolf of Wall Street made me not want to try it even more haha.
    missbishi likes this.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm really glad to hear that! I couldn't watch that film for years after I stopped, it was quite triggering.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Same here. The Wolf of Wall Street could be a good deterrent then, eh? :D
  14. nbts92

nbts92 Member

Cocaine is a very strong drug which comes in many forms, some of which are illegal to posses and serve no medical purpose. Cocaine is often snorted as a powder. However, cocaine is a very dangerous and addictive drug, and because it’s normally only available as a street drug there’s no good way of knowing exactly what’s in the batch of cocaine you’re using. Cocaine can easily be laced with other drugs or toxic substances.
    Snorting cocaine causes large amounts of the drug to instantly enter the bloodstream through the nose. This is dangerous, and can cause heart or lung problems, which can be fatal. And although high doses of cocaine might be tolerated by someone who’s taken stimulants in large doses before, but they do raise the risk of adverse effects significantly.
  15. Matthodge1

It could also be something that makes people wanna dive into a pile of cocaine and get giant piles of money and do things on them haha.
  16. Matthodge1

I'm sorry. That must have been awful. How far did you get into the movie or did you watch it at all?
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think what you should be afraid of is what the cocaine will do to your body. Cocaine is a very dangerous drug such that hurting your nose should be the least of your worries.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, that depends on the quality of the coke you're snorting. Sometimes coke burns your nostrils. Sometimes it makes your nose bleed. It also depends on how much you coke you do. I remember a guy who always sold me coke that really messed up my nose. But, in general, coke almost never hurt my nose.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

No, it doesn't. The momentary feeling is quite pleasant though, it just leaves you an itchy sensation within your nostrils and throat, but that's pretty much it. And, like Henry said, too, the quality is an important factor as well. But I really don't suggest you try it. :)
  20. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've never done it before. Everyone here is saying that it doesn't hurt and give a numbing sensation. But I've seen on TV where people who have been snorting for years have spontaneous nose bleeds out of the blue. So there is something there that will make you bleed and that is not a good thing.