An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does it make sense to want to quit drinking and want to keep drinking too

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Diane Cervantes, Sep 14, 2015.

1. It's like a tug of war. Having the desire to keep drinking alcohol and the desire to quit drinking alcohol is a battle, and it's a battle that might be fought for a long time. I've seen people die from alcohol related problems more than once and it seems insane to me that I haven't totally quit drinking. I know I'll sleep better, I know I'll wake up happier, I know I'll lose weight, my family would be proud of me. If you've ever experienced similar feelings of not wanting to leave your friend 'alcohol', how did you deal with it? Were you successful?
    Skyler likes this.
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Definitely! I think it's partly habit/addiction as well as familiarity. Change is hard no matter what the reasons and such a big lifestyle shift is definitely difficult - even if you disregard the addiction aspect.

I find having a conscious list of reasons you do not want to drink is helpful. When that voice in the back of your head is saying "you should have a drink!" you can look at your list and remind yourself of the reasons you don't want to.
    Holdingon likes this.
  3. Those are excellent points. I come from a very large Hispanic family. It's all about food, drinking, music and having a good time. So I think that when people start to develop a problem it's often overlooked- not necessarily ignored but overlooked. Some people don't even realize when there's a problem because everyone is so used to it.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Booze can have a powerful pull on people.
    Always remember that alcohol doesn't actually add anything to a life, it only takes away.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It seems like you are torn between wanting to ger sober and wanting to drink. I guess it would really take a lot of time and patience before you could finally quit alcohol for good, but it is possible. Just stay focused on your goals and avoid people and situations that would tempt you to drink.
  6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm going through the same situation but with cigarettes, as you have said, quitting is the best decision for us to make, but at the same time it's really difficult to stop drinking/smoking! And that can be for a lot of reasons, but the important thing here is that we need to know that we have the power to quit, they are just simple and little things, we need to stop looking at them as if they were stronger than us.

Good luck!
  7. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

@anorexorcist That is a really good way to put it! These addictions are not stronger than us - we do have the power to choose. It's not easy, and it does require a lot of diligence and attention, but it can be done.

That inner struggle with the addiction can be really challenging sometimes. There are so many great reasons to persevere though.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

At least you have that goal that you want to quit. Starting the battle is only halfway, you have to finish it to be successful. When you have that want to quit alcohol already, you have to push through with it. Just like you said, it's a tug of war. There will be times that you will not crave it anymore, but then there will be times that you will crave it like crazy.

Mind over matter. Have something else beside you that you can drink. Something healthier but delicious. I love flavoured water, maybe you could try that? Or even fresh fruit juices. They're more delicious and healthier too. Good luck on your battle!
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that most people want to quit drinking but at the same time they think that cutting down is the answer. Sometimes if drinking gets out of hand the only option is to quit altogether and in my opinion that can only be done with a lot of help and support.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

I know exactly what you mean. It's a love-hate relationship we have with the bottle. What I did was pick a day to drink and stuck to it like white on rice. I also avoid going out when I'm drinking because we all know that spells trouble all across the board. But I don't think my case applies to you because I'm single. I don't have a family to take care of and worry about. If I were you, Id seek all the help I can to deal with the problem, and try to quit for good. No more drinking. As long as you keep sipping, you'll keep craving, no matter the quantity.
  11. Fairplay007

Fairplay007 Member

Most people actually want to quit drinking but find them self in it again when having a challenge before them that they could not over throne, and they see drinking as a means of waving out their trouble at that moment. quitting drinking totally has to be a gradual process, that is, you need to find an alternative of what makes you drink always to replace drinking. If drinking make's you happy, there are so many things you can do or involve your self and you will be happy. and also, to quit drinking you have to quit your friendship with drunker s and move along with people that hate alcohol. It wont not actually be easy, but it be done in a gradual process and a determination.
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

It absolutely makes sense to want to quit drinking and want to drink as well. Your mind knows how much it is hurting you and you want to stop for the sake of fixing your life. However, you want to drink because of the immediate gratification you receive from it. The key is to get past that point and look towards the gratifying future.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

That tug of war is something most of us that have abused alcohol know very well. Deep inside you want more then anything to just stop drinking, but there is also a part of you that wants to continue. I think we lie to ourselves about the degree at which our addiction is effecting our lives. The struggle is real when it comes to self conflict the battle wages on until we finally know YES it's time to stop.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's not uncommon, and everyone who went through a recovery process encountered those feelings. After a while you'll get used to them, they're often called "craving feelings". As long as you follow your goals and rules there's no way you won't succeed. Of course, will power and support is vital.
  15. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

"The Devil you know", right? No change in addictive behavior can start without a large commitment to do whatever is necessary to get better. That includes maybe moving to a new place, finding new friends, getting serious about AA, going to Church, etc.

The benefits of stopping all types of self-destructive behaviors are evident to most who do them, however, we are just people and we have flaws. Always remember to forgive yourself and have confidence that you can be better. DOn't beat yourself up about things, and don't compare yourself to others.
  16. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I often get into this state after a long night of hard drinking that spills over (figuratively) into the next day, especially if I had bought a large half-gallon bottle of liquor. At some point I may nod off for a couple hours after getting hammered, but then I will wake up and still be really drunk, but for some reason still feel compelled to keep drinking until I finally run out and really hit the sack hard.

I think part of it is subconsciously I know I don't have enough liquor left tie one on again the following day, so I may as well finish off what's left and just crash. I'm also kind of worried that if I sober up a bit, I may be compelled to make a liquor store run even while I'm still drunk, since I know what I have left isn't going to be enough for the rest of the day.
  17. L_B

L_B Community Champion

People are usually afraid of change and the unknown. They are use to one certain lifestyle and they don't want to give it up even if they know it is for the better. They can find legit reasons why they shouldn't or talk themselves against making positive changes. The fact that you want to change is a big step. This is for you and a happy, healthier life. You can do it. Life will be different but it will be better. You will adjust to years it new lifestyle and feel so much better about yoirself and your choices.
  18. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

My friend, when you reover from this addiction and you know for sure you're passed and strong, you will be able to drink some wine at the least. but keep in mind that Alcohol is not your friend, sometimes you need to make a sacrifice to gain something greater.
  19. Skyler

Skyler Member

It makes total sense to me. That's why I joined today, I am struggling with this very thing.
    I am still in the phase where I'm viewing alcohol as my friend. Intellectually I can see that this is not the case and that my 'rationalizing' of cutting down is a crutch. Emotionally however I think I'm afraid to embrace the changes that would be required to quit.
  20. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

A person can have the desire to want to quit drinking but have a difficult time fighting the urge and the temptation to quit. This battle isn't going to be easy because it's like being pulled in different directions. I do believe a person can quit but it will take a lot of work.
    Warrenraikes likes this.