An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does it make sense to want to quit drinking and want to keep drinking too

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Diane Cervantes, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I feel the same way right now with my food/sugar addiction, a part of me really wants to quit but the other part just can't stop thinking about those butter cookies, lol. I have an explanation for that... it's just I'm not ready to quit. Same goes for drinkers, you know you want to quit, you feel guilty about it, you know the pros and cons, yet you can't let go of the booze. But I got good news for you... the fact you are feeling this way might be an indicative you might be ready to let go of the vice very soon.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Do you want to stop the addiction to alcohol but still have an occasional drink? I think for the majority of people, they will not touch alcohol or it will be very minimal of they do after recovery. I don't know how many people recover from alcohol addiction and having a drink or two wouldn't set them back.
  3. Warrenraikes

Warrenraikes Member

When I was drinking I went through a long period of that exact thing. I wanted to quit because I knew I had a problem... When I was dry I had such great anxiety, I felt like I would explode. Sometimes I would be on my way to the store thinking why am I doing this??? But, I would still go. I was going insane for sure. Eventually, I gave up trying and succumbed to alcohol and it almost killed me. I was so lost and afraid that I stayed sober for about two weeks... Then the familiar demon I worshipped for so long started to talk again... That's when I checked into a sober living house and was introduced to AA... I have found a new way to live with real friends who understand me. It definitely works. I have been in recovery and sober for 18 months. Alcohol is a subtle foe, requiring constant vigilance, but it is so worth it...
  4. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Many people myself included fool themselves into believing they can still drink as long as they limit it. Before I got sober I had many thoughts of drinking less of a different beverage. I knew deep inside it would never work that was my addiction trying to find a way to live.