An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does it make you lazy?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Rosyrain, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have a friend who smokes a lot of weed and she has a hard time getting motivated to do anything. Is this because of the weed that she smokes? I also think she is fighting a battle of depression so it may be that this is part of the cause as well. Maybe a combination of both?
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Unfortunately she is looking for a solution for her depression in the wrong place. Marijuana doesn't help with depression it aggravates it, what she should do is speak to a physiologist to get her over her depression and deal with her marijuana addiction.
    EmmaAaren and deanokat like this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's also a link between apathy and marijuana use.

Research does show that heavy use of marijuana could among other things induce lethargy, apathy and reduced concentration. This aren't myths that are meant to discourage people from using marijuana. They are actual effects of abusing marijuana. So yes, marijuana can make someone lazy.
  4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I was going through something like this a few months ago. It sounds like she is running from her thoughts and feelings by doing the drugs--she is medicating her depression with the marijuana. It sounds as if she's smoking a "body high" strain that induces lethargy as well, so yes, it's very possible that the weed itself is causing her to remain idle.

The bigger issue though, is her depression. I have a feeling that tackling and working through that will solve the marijuana issue as well.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it can if all you do is smoke all day long. Weed should only be recreational, like when you aren't doing anything important. It doesn't make you lazy over all, Ive known people who smoked weed that were more productive then some people who didn't. Of course weed has side effects that are temporary and won't make you want to do any hard work when your high.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, her depression could be related to her substance abuse, or it's also possible that it's the other way around. She's trying to cope with her depression through the help of weed. I think the best thing for you to do as her friend is to encourage her to quit marijuana, and try to lift her mood up.
  7. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I tend to never get anything at all done when I smoke so I make sure I have nothing to do whatsoever or else I won't smoke.
  8. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I think that the short answer is yes. It certainly depends on the person, but overwhelmingly I would think that the people who have used marijuana would say that it gives you the high in a way that makes you lazy, or complacent with sitting and being bored. I know that when I used to smoke I never really did anything, except eat junk food and laugh a little, which was great, but over time you just seem to outgrow it.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

In my experience, yes, it does make you lazy. It also has a lot to do with what you like to do when you smoke. If you like playing video games, other people will have a hard time trying to make you do something else. Trying to get a stoner away from a TV set is very, very hard as well.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think she is trying to cope with her depression through the use of weed and it seems to bring her down even more. I was trying to help her out buy giving her some online work sites to use so that she could start making some money and do good things for herself, but she can't even get motivated to do that. I just need to be a good friend to her and keep encouraging her.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It is likely a combination of the weed and her depression that is making her unmotivated. The thing is as you know, it is not going to get any better while she is using. I think just encouraging her and taking your cues from her as to how involved she wants you to be would be good. Ask her how you can help.
  12. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It must be the combination because weed definitely can make you lazy. But I hope you can help her out somehow. Maybe try to get her to do activities with you when she tends to get lazy.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

Smoking weed can make you lazy. Many weed smokers smoke it throughout the day without doing anything positive. Others resolve to sleeping after having a puff. My friends used to tell me that after smoking on a sunny day they usually became very tired.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Drug abuse can make a person feel ill and you will feel lazy as you are not feeling well. I also think that using marijuana to treat or forget the depression is a bad idea as it can just make the situation worse. Again, being addicted can make you feel sick and that can also bring more depressed moments.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It makes you numb and your muscles get relaxed. But consuming any kind of addictive substance makes you unmotivated and sad at some point, so this combined with her depression makes her "lazy". Weed does not make you lazy per se, but it is dangerous to use it when you have mental disorders/conditions as it may amplify them.
  16. Marijuana can certainly rob you of your motivation and drive to act. I think that's its purpose: to put your body and mind at complete ease. This explains why it's popular among teens and adults. Your friend, in my opinion, wants to feel something that takes her mind off of her pain, which is the source of her depression. It's best you encourage her to seek counseling before her weed habit leads her to experimenting with a drug far more addictive and injurious to her well-being and happiness.
    Scooby Snack likes this.
  17. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

There is a well documented correlation between marijuana use and "deotivational syndrome."
    So yes notwithstanding other issues, marijuana use can and will make a person lazy.
  18. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I think this is just a stereotype kind of thing commonly associated with weed.
  19. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I think that pot could make you less focused on your goals and day to day work because while you are high you feel acomplished, happy, you don't need anything else, but I think that depression is the main cause of your friend's mind status and a proper treatment would do so much for her. She should smoke less, pursue some of her old hobbies in order to make her feel pleasure for normal things again.
  20. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Why? Do you have any knowledge, experience or evidence to support that? I think if you pay close attention, many of the negative statements about recreational have at least some truth to them.