An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does it make you lazy?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Rosyrain, Jan 4, 2016.

1. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

It makes me just wanna sit around and watch something and do nothing at all :p. So I would not recommend him using it at all when he got stuff to do. Doing stuff fights depression as well, anyway hope he starts getting more motivated!
  2. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

When it comes to anxiety and depression cannabis use can get very complicated. Especially if the person has taken other medications like benzos. I think smoking it can definitely hype you up but what are you going to do when you are out? Or if you have to smoke it 24/7? This will create an even higher depressive state, and the only way to work out your depression is within yourself.
  3. mscooke

mscooke Member

It is a stereotype. EVERYBODY is not affected the same way. Here I sit at work typing this reply. I smoked this morning while drinking my coffee. I work a40 week like most other people.
    I am a heavy smoker , on off days it's not unheard of to smoke 10 or more blind in a days time. Right now my circle & I figured out we could go through a 1/8 oz (3.5 grams) each, easy in a 24 hour period.
    I'll go back to its not what you do, it's how you do it. Also, let me say that some of us are more addiction prone than others.
  4. Widow

Widow Member

Weed does not always make someone lazy and unmotivated. There are strains that will do that but there are also strains that will do just the opposite. It all depends on what you are buying. You can smoke mass quantities throughout the day and still be productive. It all is based off the strain that you smoke!

So to answer your question, yes there's the possibility that it could be the weed. There's a possibility that it could be the depression as well. Depression can very easily make you unmotivated and want to stay in bed withdrawn from the world.
  5. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

It can be a combination of the both. But sometimes sleeping a lot can also be trying to escape the painful feelings that come with the real world. I also had a little depression problem for a while. I really wanted to do some things, but money wouldn't let me. So I sank into depression for a while. I watched people who got to do those things and kept feeling sad. During that period of time, I slept a whole lot, daydreaming about the things I want to do. But diving into drug abuse will only make matters worse. So to anyone out there dealing with depression, don't ever stay alone, find good company, friends who encourage you rather than make you feel bad about yourself and have a lot of fun with them regardless of your age. Life is too short to be wasted by the bondage of drugs.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

So many factors are involved. The weed and her issues have both added to her lack of motivation. Cutting her weed consumption may somehow reduce her pessimism. Her issues may well be resolved if she not only gets enough support from loved ones but also eats the right food and participate in well-rounded activities.
  7. Makana

Makana Member

Rosyrain I fully emphatize with your friend. I also experienced the same scenario. Immediately after smoking marijuana, I used to feel energetic and creative and would set about tackling any assignment at hand. However, as the levels of marijuana in the brain decreased(in about one hour), so did my mental activity and creativity, and I would smoke more marijuana. However, the outcome of this second phase was always totally devastating,characterised by severe headaches.
    As a result, I would always tend to procrastinate after smoking marijuana.
  8. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I know from personal experience that marijuana makes you feel lazy or extremely relaxed whatever you want to call it. I think that the depression is also hindering her motivation as it does to everyone. Combined with smoking marijuana, it is has an exaggerated effect on your friend. Depression and marijuana definitely do not go together as the marijuana acts as a downer anyway. I know that sometimes when I smoked it would have that effect on me and it would make my depression much worse. Getting help for the depression, will be a start in the right direction. I hope your friend finds the help they need. Good luck.
  9. rush

rush Member

Smoking weed tends to make you fell lazy. A few of my friends that still smoke usually stay in doors only if they are not working. I gradually see them more getting depressed that the whole day they could have done something that is more productive.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think it's safe to say that excessive use will slow you down. Some are to the point where they seem to be lazy. As for your friend being depressed, drugs is not a therapeutic way of handling it. Depression has to be conquered within with acceptance and nurturing. Drugs will only make it worse.