An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does it really affect your memory?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Joethefirst, Mar 8, 2016.

1. dogma

dogma Member

I think its just short term memory lost and it would only last on the duration of the high. It does not really has a permanent side effect in memory lost. I stopped using marijuana years ago but used to light a blunt everyday. I am not feeling any side effects regarding my memory though.
  2. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I personally think that no, it doesn't at all becasue I've been smoking a lot these past years of my life and it has only improved my social interaction rather than affecting it, I remember people more and I care about them more and when I take some hits before an exam I feel more awake and more confident and therefore I pass because what's really stopping you from approving an exam is the lack of confidence really.
  3. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, I think that Marijuana causes memory loss. Well, marijuana targets the 'dopamine receptors' in our brain and dopamine is the chemical that is responsible for confidence, motivation, memory. So, I think that marijuana causes memory loss. One of my friends is a Marijuana addict and he often reports memory loss. I am trying to help him to get clean. I hope I will be successful.
  4. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Reall, bro? I think that it affects the brain on a permanent basis. Do you only feel a 'slight' memory loss when you are high?
  5. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thе mоst оbviоus еffесt оf THС is thе disruptiоn оf shоrt-tеrm mеmоry. This mеаns it will bе hаrdеr tо fоrm nеw mеmоriеs whilе high. THС аlsо impаirs thе соnsоlidаtiоn оf shоrt-tеrm mеmоriеs intо lоng-tеrm mеmоriеs. This mаkеs it diffiсult tо rеmеmbеr whаt hаppеnеd during thе high — еvеn аftеr it wеаrs оff.
  6. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I don't smoke but I know a lot of people that do. I can honestly say that they all pretty much have memory problems however I have them and I only tried smoking in high school. I just could not get into smoking. I have so much on my mind these days that smoking or no smoking, I still can't remember a thing. I believe the studies about the memory loss. I have a family member that smoked since he was 15. He is now 45. Everyday he looses something he cant find. Like his keys for example. I can see misplacing them every now and then but everyday!!!
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am not sure how much it effects memory. My son used to smoke a lot of pot. He may have some memory issues, but his overall functioning is fantastic so I don't think they affected him long term. I am grateful for that. It seems to be something he has compensated for over time.
  8. sclupto

sclupto Member

Its strange to think about what I remember from when I was a kid or teenager andhow much of it. When these days I can barely remember what I did this week. Before I started drinking and smoking and doing drugs my memory was undoubtedly better.
  9. flash555

flash555 Member

When I used marijuana on a daily basis it was definetly causing me memory problems. Now that I only use it ever now and then I do not have the same problems. I have been using marijuana off and on for 35 years and I dont thing the use has hurt my long term memeory at all. I have a very good memory even after many many years of use.
  10. DPowerz

DPowerz Member

It does. There are times I know I was alive but I'm drawing a complete blank on where I was and what I was doing. There seem to be whole sections of time I can't remember at this point so I kinda just rely on the other people I smoked with to tell me what I did. Strange how they usually give some non-descriptive response most of the time then we both start laughing. Well, I hear when We die we get to watch a video replay of our lives........That's gunna be Awesome!