An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does our body produce heroin for pain relief?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by courtjesraspen, Jun 28, 2015.

1. I read a school thesis two years ago. I won't go into detail but the basic idea of it was that the human body literally attempts to produce it's own "heroin" when you're in too much pain.

Anyone, please shed some light on that because I'm having trouble believing that.
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

When you're under a stress,like for example when doing a physical activity,your body releases endorphins,which actually perform like heroin
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

No, when your body experiences severe trauma it goes into shock, this produces adrenaline that blocks out pain, this also gives us the fight or flight feeling when put in certain situations.
    Heroin on the other hand is an opiate grown from a poppy plant and is a poison to the body as well as a drug that can be used for its pain killing qualities
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Diamorphine is not produced in the body, its Endorphines a group of hormones. Feels kind of the same though, in small doses and not a big armful of brown sugar to get off your **** mind.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Neurotransmitters have a drug-like effect but since they're internal chemicals, they don't really unhinge you unless you take a substance that stimulates them too much, ultimately changing the way you behave. Psychoactive drugs can effectively stimulate your neurotransmitters. That's why if you ingest strong drugs, you end up hallucinating and doing things beyond your control.
  6. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

As others have said, your body produces endorphins, or to give them their full names "endomorphines" - literally "inside morphines", ie ones produced internally.

The reason heroin and other opiates have a powerful effect on the human body is that they are members of the same "chemical family" as endorphins. They are similar enough to bind to the same receptor sites, but different enough that they stimulate the different types of receptor cells in different proportions, which is why a heroin trip is different to the feeling you get after exercise or an accident.
  7. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

The chemicals that humans produce are similar to opiates, but not exactly the same, I have read in a few books somewhere that cows actually produce opiates in their milk to keep the baby cow coming back for more, and I'm pretty sure we do the same kind of thing with human breast milk, but I don't think the chemical structure is the same for humans as it is for cows. I do know that when we die we produce DMT, witch is the psychoactive substance in cactus in Mexico, so it is an interesting topic!
  8. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

The body puts out endorphines to try to null the pain. I guess it does what heroin does. But obviously, with it being natural and internal, it won't hurt you the way heroin could and will
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Great content!
    I never really understood the relationship between drugs and natural processes like I do now.
    Keep in coming teach me more today.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, it's not heroin per se, it's something that resembles its compound is all. I don't exactly know its name, but it's probably endorphin, like thepieeatingjay mentioned. To be honest, I've never been good at science anyway, haha.
  11. Crowl

Crowl Member

Not heroin per se, but a relative of it. Endorphins they're called.
    The first commentor gives a good example. Intersting to ntoe, they're more powerful than heroin and such.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I am pretty sure that you are talking about Serotonin. Dopamine and Serotonin are neurotransmitters that are also associated with addiction. Low levels of serotonin cause depression and insomnia.
    These increase the levels;
    Free Range Turkey
    Flaxseed/ Flaxseed oil
    Buckwheat
    Wild Fish and Sea food
    Whey protein
    Bananas
    High quality Eggs
    Sour Cherries
    Free Range Beef
    Dark Chocolate
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Like others said as far as I knew it was just your body producing endorphins, adrenaline and so forth.

I remember when I had my child, it was 'painful' but not painful if that makes sense...I was on such a natural high once she was born that I didn't realize how intense the experience actually was. The day after though, ouch! Once the adrenaline wore off I realized just how much the body does to protect you from a certain level of pain!
  14. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

As others have pointed out, it’s a series of hormones and neurotransmitters that our body produces, rather than actual heroin. Some may have similar effects to certain drugs, but it’s a natural process that will benefit you as long as you aren’t overstimulating them with external influences. The human body really is quite an amazing structure.
  15. Lemon peel

Lemon peel Member

Actually your all wrong. Scientists have recently found diacetylmorphine is produced in tiny amount naturally in the human brain.