An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does praying help you with your addiction?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by kylerlittle, Apr 24, 2015.

1. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I believe that it can be based on rationality and facts, I also know for a fact that we often in our daily lives, believe things based on evidence, eventhough there's evidence, we would say we believe because we believe the evidence, and I believe it's the same concept with God, whatever he provides we believe.
  2. Stella

Stella Member

I would not necessarily say that God helped me within my journey of becoming sober, because I am atheist. However, religion and a method called "The Secret" have the same concept. I believe that the world revolves around the being that you are, and if you learn how to channel your energy and emotions correctly, you can achieve/get/earn anything you want in life. It's the same concept of praying. "The Secret" is where you go through asking the universe what you want in a positive way only, then you wait until it comes to you. It's similar to someone praying to god to ask him/her to help them with something that may be going on in their lives at the time. I can say though that "The Secret" has definitely helped me though recovery. You guys should watch this documentary on The Secret! They have it on Netflix and on YouTube. I promise you won't regret it!
  3. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Saying prayers every now and then do help and I really recommend this for others too. When I pray, I'm able to say everything I find hard to tell others. It also helps when I'm trying to figure stuff out. It helps me look at things and situations in a different perspective and in a calmer manner.
  4. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Yes, but that is something very personal and individual, therefore we call it faith. It's not something that can be proven and that we can give to others and say, here, believe in this. We need to feel it.
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. kylerlittle

In some sense, you would be right. But I'm afraid that you are not correct on this issue. When you state that it's not something that can be proven, you're stating it as if it's a fact and not something you believe. Do you have any authority or enough knowledge to claim it cannot be proven? I'm not being mean, it's just a serious discussion.
  6. sunflogun

LOL, you see, it's a matter of the mind, so it's a never ending debate!

As for the topic in itself, I feel that we should stick to what works for us and if praying or asking works, we should continue with it.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Yes I am a firm believer of God and all His good works. There have been many times in my life when I just sit in silence and pray especially in times when I felt so low and helpless. I believed he helped me pull through it all. When I was struggling with my vices I know He was the one who touched and opened my heart to change.
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. sunflogun

There are many truths about faith and one of them is, ask and you shall receive. We need to ask for things we truly need though, if we do our prayers will be answered.
    MrsJones and kylerlittle like this.
  9. kylerlittle

I believe so too.
  10. johnny

johnny Member

I do believe in god although I don't pray. For me, meditation has been probably the single most effective tool for recovery. That's what helped me more than anything not including my support groups like family and friends.
  11. sunflogun

What is the difference between praying and meditation johny? What exactly are you doing when meditating?
  12. kylerlittle

Praying is basically being in the spirit realm and talking with God spiritually, contacting him spiritually just as I am talking to you right now virtually even though I don't see you. Meditating is emptying your mind of all and being centered in the present moment, without any attention to your mind or anything, just freeing your mind from everything in peace and quiet. There's also another definition of meditation which is, to meditate on someone to be thinking of them or out of love cannot take your thoughts off of it, and the thought of them heals you.
    sunflogun likes this.
  13. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

Praying is fantastic for dealing with anything you feel you are not strong enough on your own. It gives you strength, power in the shape of someone higher than you, someone omnipotent who can always come to your rescue. It can be a very cleansing experience. Even if you are not a believer, prayer has a physical side. It slows down your breathing and makes you take deeper breaths which by itself helps alleviate anxiety.
  14. sunflogun

I can the advantages of meditating now that you say that is emptying the mind, that's something I'd love to do often, to get rid of all my concerns and see reality just as it is.
  15. kylerlittle

Yeah, It's a method in anxiety healing and depression where you sit in silence and all thoughts coming in you don't listen to them and ignore them and let the feelings fade away, it's really nice.
  16. kylerlittle

Do you think unbelievers can also pray? I think it's very interesting and I think they can indeed do that if they at least think, God might be hearing me.
  17. ella

ella Member

Totally yes to that! For me it's not simply praying. It's praising and worshipping Him despite the painful circumstances. It's letting Him know I trust Him with all my heart and soul. Focusing on His goodness alone keeps me in peace.
    MrsJones likes this.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I used to believe in prayer in the way that everyone else does which is that there is a bearded man in the clouds helping me through all of my own troubles but now that I'm older I know enough that it's all just myth and I only have myself to depend on if I want changes made. I think my current path is a lot more helpful because I am able to tackle my problems more objectively.
  19. kylerlittle

I can understand why you would say that but I'm struggling in terms of faith sometimes. I try not to lose faith and hope that there is someone who listens to my prayers.
  20. johnny

johnny Member

Well, that's a common misconception about meditation. I'm not putting you down because that's what i thought to before I looked it into it a bit more. All you are doing basically is just learning how to relax. That's the only way I can describe it.
    MrsJones likes this.