An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does praying help you with your addiction?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by kylerlittle, Apr 24, 2015.

1. aztec99

aztec99 Member

Prayer is important, but many people do not know how to pray. There is a popular notion that God is like Santa Claus. Too many people have tried to explain God, as if the human mind is capable of such a feat! Prayer is no different than any other human endeavor. We must first learn how to do it, and then we must set it in motion. A great architect doesn't wake up one day with all the knowledge needed to build a skyscraper. He must have an innate talent, but he must also go to school and learn. Prayer is no different. Yes, God will teach us how to pray, but we need to take the time to listen, and to learn. Of course, many will get a cathartic release from a superficial act of prayer. But someone who really knows how to pray can literally move a mountain!
  2. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Oh, yes. I do believe in prayer. I think, it is a personal choice how, why, who, what, where, when a person prays. It does not matter to me, which spiritual path a person takes, if they take one at all. It is a persons character that speaks volumes to me.
  3. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Wow, words of wisdom and very inspiring, thank you for sharing this.
  4. DCMY

DCMY Member

I am not an addict but I can relate to this topic. Praying generally helps me everyday. It makes you feel not alone and protected by a higher force, God. You don't feel like you're stuck and on a bad way, but working vigorously to fight and stay on the right path. Also you kinda feel that God gave you a second chance after everything and you don't wanna waste it for nothing.
  5. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Oh your welcome. I can see this is a serious issue for you and others. This is why, I wanted to respond to you. I, also, wanted to share "my opinion" on the difference between meditation, prayer, and focused prayer. For me, when I meditate, there is absolutely no thoughts, my prayers are a constant state of mind that I try to maintain without giving much thought (like second nature), and focused prayer is either for others in need, a crisis.

Glad you enjoyed The Secret. I have not watched it, but I would imagine it is the same concept at The Law of Attraction, which by the way, I do believe in the the power of attraction, which is also (for me) is similar to the power of love, and the power of gratitude. I think all of these attributes are conducive with the healing journey from addiction. I am just curious, how you equate being an atheist, yet believing in some greater power in the universe?
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've been there, but this is actually one of the behaviors that come with this line of thinking that I dislike the most. For the longest time I was taught that I was weak and helpless and the only way I could ever survive and thrive was to believe in exactly what I was taught from a young age and nothing else, not even another type of religion, and eventually I just realized faith was becoming more of a hazard for me rather than something helpful since it is a crutch that is used to explain things whenever they are hard to understand and instead of actively trying to understand them better I could merely just brush them off as not being my fault or not being my responsibility when in reality it was nothing but my own responsibility and no one or nothing else's.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Honestly? When I was dealing with my drug and alcohol addiction I couldn't really think about praying and God. Specially not after taking my ''special'' pill cocktail. I never prayed back then. I was feeling so alone, sad and hopeless. I guess I was just trying to numb the pain I had been carrying inside for a while... I was angry at everything and everyone.

Now I'm drug and alcohol free, now it's when I pray! I can't believe I didn't care about my life, if I died or lived. I just didn't really care. How terrible. Makes me sad to think about that, but also happy because I'm in a better place now :) I believe in God now, even more than before. I pray and hope things only get better for me and my family.
  8. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

To relax is something important because when we are stressed out we do things that usually don't benefit us. So if meditation does help us to relax I might give it a go, I think everyone need more peace.
  9. sunflogun

There are so many "tools" that we can use that make us good and that can help us away from addiction, we just need to be correctly guided to them instead of being lost with substances that harm us.
  10. kylerlittle

I see, it must of been really difficult.
  11. kylerlittle

Absolutely. It's difficult though, we need people all the time.
  12. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I believe in God but I think praying does indeed have benefits. I've found when dealing with my own past MDMA addiction, I prayed on a regular basis. It gave me strength, even though things were incredibly hard those first few months. It's no laughing matter trying to break any kind of addiction. It's something that requires personal perseverance, a network of close family and friends helps. But praying and asking for guidance to a higher power also aids the process.
    sunflogun likes this.
  13. kylerlittle

Very nice, thank you for sharing that as I'm sure it will encourage others to pray.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  14. sunflogun

Those are the best prayers Damien, the ones in which we ask for guidance and wisdom to get out of a bad situation. If we ask for something fair we will receive the help.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  15. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Prayer will only be beneficial to someone who believes in prayer and who is religious. It's pointless if the person is not religious. I mean, I guess it's a little different if it's someone else whom you love who is praying for you. Like I am not a religious person, but when my grandmother or someone I love tells me that they are praying for me, I feel sort of special. Like I'm special enough to be included in something so important to them.
  16. kylerlittle

I guess you're right, when you know you're being prayed for by people who actually care, it's really special. I ask you though, why do you not believe? I hope it's not personal, if it is you don't have to share :)
  17. sunflogun

We can pray all we want, but at the same time praying is not enough, we need to make the effort too because if we don't we are just being hypocrites.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

God helps us in any situation. If we can learn to pray, then we need to be faithful. Prayers help our souls to realise whatever we are praying for is possible. Through prayers we encourage ourselves whenever we feel lonely and stressed up. Being part of prayers, we can also talk to God through singing.
  19. sunflogun

That is true and I have experienced that. When we ask for something fair we will receive it. But we need to earn it, we need to know what to ask for basically.
  20. Stella

Stella Member

Whoa! I can't believe that someone has the same belief system as me. A lot of people try to deny that this is the way life is because other religions kind of clash into the theory. Theoretically it's the same thing, though the attraction is seen as "the God" in the religion.