An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does praying help?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 003, Jan 27, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

I usually bottle up my own scuffle, but sometimes despite that I don't talk about it, they seem to find their way out that people who are close to me sense it and give my advice to pray and rest to all to that almighty Being. As for me, I'm not really into praying. I don't religiously go for a pray, but it seems to be really working so well for those who give it as an advice to me. But even if I follow their advice, I'm still not able to find relief. What could have been wrong. Well, as I see it: It doesn't work for all people. You need to develop first a strong faith to someone to whom you're asking that divine grace. It's futile to do the practice without a strong foundation of why you are doing it. So instead that you pray in hopes that someone is going to help you and with a mindset that after all, nothing's gonna be lost to you, pray because you have faith, that with Him and your determination and actions, nothing is impossible. It's the faith rather than the hope that makes prayers work.
    Determined2014, MrsJones and rabst like this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The reason placebos heal people is because they believe what they get will cure their ailments. Prayer can also be just as powerful if the person who is praying has that kind of faith that they'll get help or the strength to fight and overcome their addictions. The reason why most prayers go unanswered is because of a lack of faith.
    stariie and rabst like this.
  3. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Maybe you can change the way how you're praying^^ A prayer doesn't have to be like a message to a god or something like that, it can also be like a vow just for yourself, an oath about what you expect from yourself, similar to a motivational speech. Having faith in something can mean having faith in yourself and in your ability to master every challenge you'll encounter.
    rabst likes this.
  4. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

I hate that people think prayer is 'talking to God'---that--because some motivational-speaker was crucified thousands of year--"we Christians have a direct line-of-communication with God." And we do, but not through our mouths; rather, God hears our subconscious minds (if you have to believe in God-as-a-Divine-Being-who-Grants-Wishes).

Like the Lord Jesus Christ is quoted, "God knows what you will get from him even before you ask it of him." Prayer is more like 'personalized meditation over a an unsure situation.' You don't know what to do about your situation; prayer convinces you that the things you can't control are 'taken care of,' and thus helps you focus on your responsibility---the things you can control.

The FIRST "prayer" was prayed by the first murderer. Cain saw his 'situation' (having to run away from the rest of the family, putting him in danger of being killed by "anyone who saw him"), and 'told God about it'; God answered his prayer by telling him The Mark of Cain meant that anyone who killed him would suffer a fate seven-times-worse than him.

The second-most-famous prayer in the Gospels is another 'personalized meditation in an unsure situation'---Jesus, praying about His upcoming trial(s); where He asks God/Himself "If possible, take this cup away from me," (they say that's referring to His upcoming crucifixion; but I'm sure He was talking about 'whatever He had to go through,' whether He knew it or not) ... ending His prayer with "if it be thy will, let thy will be done."

That echoed His instructions on how WE were supposed to pray: "Our Father who art in Heaven. Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For the kingdom the power and the glory are yours now & forever. 'Amen.' (Which incidentally means 'so be it,' not 'that's what I want' or 'that's what I hope' etc.... MEDITATION)"

In summary, prayer is more a 'righteous confidence'-builder than anything else---because you pray, you feel "ready"---ready to take whatever rewards or punishments you are given, because you feel 'your request-application has been submitted.' That way, you don't NEED the drugs to make you feel better; God will heal you or guide you to do what you need to to accept his gift-of-healing (I know that sounds kinda like 'The Wizard of Oz,' who "healed" the four travelers by 'making them USE THEIR OWN POWER'; but it MUST be true because 'it doesn't make sense' :D)
    Rainman likes this.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I suppose you don't really need to pray to anyone in particular - you can just visualize what it is that you want and mediate on that for a while. They do say that positive visualization brings benefits and religion does not have to come into it at all. Regarding faith, you just need to have faith that your situation will improve.
  6. Rainman

Depends entirely on whether you are religious or not. Irreligious people could opt for meditation and believe they can self-heal with positive thoughts. It can work but not all the time. The difference between prayer and positive thinking is the fact that prayer can instantly deliver you if you fulfill all the Condtions required for your prayer to be answered]. All the cravings go. Instantly. With positive visualizations though . . .
  7. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

Even if you don't actually pray, or believe in praying, a few moments with your eyes closed in deep thought in order to give your self a mental break, pat on the back, or just a moment to collect your thoughts is a wonderful thing. Almost like Yoga.
  8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Praying can be whatever we want, we can simply ask what we feel we need and if it's respectful we just might be aided, who knows?
  9. Rainman

Aided, yes. But by whom? There are forces which would not be worth seeking help from. If one admits that you can ask a Benevolent Being to help you overcome an addiction then chances are a being not so benign might grant you your wish because they have ulterior motives. To make you believe that man is some sort of "god." Who can self-heal. Where there's a will there's what?
    rabst likes this.
  10. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

Not exactly. ('Not exactly what?' o_O ... you'll see ;))

The point I was getting-to is that "prayer" is more like 'meditation'---kind of 'making your peace with the way things are' while thinking about 'the way things ought to be.' I think of Yoda from STAR WARS 5, complaining about how Luke was 'always thinking about the future, never "where he was" or "what he was doing."'

'Prayer' kind of reminds you that--though 'where you are NOW & what you're doing NOW' are the most-important things to think about at any time--the future will come (in it's own sweet time) and things will change---for the good if you choose wisely, for the worse if you let it do that.
    Rainman likes this.
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't believe in God nor prayer, but I think prayer itself has meditative benefits so I guess there's that. I don't believe a man in the sky is going to magically give you what you are asking for or give you what you need just because you believe in him, but I think internalizing certain thoughts do have benefits in sorting out your mind and your troubles. I just wish it wasn't sold as what it is and instead more grounded in reality.
    rabst likes this.
  12. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

Last year, I haven't exactly prioritized my faith. Then this year, I realized I've been missing something in my life, and that was a stronger relationship with God. Now that I thought of it, my whole life didn't exactly feel complete. There was always something missing, and that always made me a bit unhappy for a reason I couldn't pinpoint.

However, I tried striking up conversations with God in my head. It was awkward at first because I know we aren't that close, but days went by and I got into the habit of talking to him and thanking him. I realized I was actually so blessed compared to others in the world and I began to be a little more grateful every single day.

I guess all I can say is that prayer really helps change your perspective of life into a more positive outlook. You need to strengthen your faith.
    rabst and MrsJones like this.
  13. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Praying does work, in my experience having faith is the main thing that makes prayer so powerful! I believe that one can find solitude in prayer as well as healing! I also find that reading the bible is also a form of comfort and can bring so much joy in a person's life. Everyone has different ways of doing things though, prayer is nothing you can force on anybody.
    rabst and MrsJones like this.
  14. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

As a person of faith I think it's important to pray regardless your situation or what youre going through. Praying to God and growing closer to him can only be a good thing. That goes for any situation you are going through. Not just addiction.
    stariie likes this.
  15. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

Obviously not for people who aren't of faith like myself, but it might help for those who are. I think it actually made my mom's situation much worse because she began relying on God to stop her addiction and not herself, and that caused her to fail over and over.
  16. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

I believe that the concept of "prayer" is just a version of "self-talk" that all of us employ at one point or another. The concept of praying to someone, such as "God", is simply a rationalization of who we are talking to, rather than talking to ourselves. I use self-talk on a daily basis, as a means to keep myself in check. I used to think I was crazy, having conversations in my head to decide things, but it's a natural thing. Our "Jiminy-Cricket" if you will. Honestly, when I was semi-religious, I felt crazy trying to talk to someone who never answered, and basing my life and decisions on that. I find it better to trust in one's own-self, rather than trying to rationalize if there is an all-mighty being listening and giving guidance. But, as mentioned above, prayer can encompass many different things, and everyone does it a little different.
    rabst likes this.
  17. DSymonette

DSymonette Member

Praying can definitely help! But you have to believe in what you are actually praying for and who you are praying to! Prayer without faith is meaningless. It is important to believe that what you are praying for is going to come true. You can also use your prayer time with God as a self meditation for yourself. Use it to help clear your mind and release anything that is troubling you at that time, whether it be abuse related or not.

I have prayed many times and asked for many things. Naturally not everything that I prayed for ended up happening, but a lot of them did. You have to use prayer to make you a stronger person mentally and emotionally. I believe that is one of the biggest things to come out of prayer. Keep up the faith friend and good luck.
  18. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

Praying is great for the soul. Prayer can help ease your frustrations. I pray several times a day on a daily basis. I was raised to pray. I was always taught that prayer changes things. It does bring all positive things to light. If you don't pray then medicate. You have to find that quiet time of positive reinforcement.
    harold and stariie like this.
  19. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

What do you mean, if you don't pray than medicate? Do you mean meditate? Yes, positive reinforcement is vital and isolation will not help.
  20. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

I wondered this myself o_O I assume that self-medicating is one of the reasons for this forum existing. But if the intended message was "Meditate" I agree. In the depths of craving opiates, I taught myself basic meditation techniques. It was amazing how effective it was.