An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does prostitution count?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by JonnyMacdonald, May 20, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Sometimes, while it may seem like a sex addiction, it may actually go deeper than that. It could be the result of another illness. Bipolar and the inability to control impulses can both manifest in the form of a sex addiction.
  2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

This certainly can become another addiction. There are many men out there who started calling on prostitutes at a young age, usually after undergoing puberty. It's also common among men who have undergone a divorce during their mid-40's to 50's. Their social circle, status and perhaps social skills with women may leave a lot to be desired and may need to resort to prostitutes for sex. Sometimes, just whipping out cash to satisfy the sexual drive can be highly addictive as there's little work involved in wooing a sexual partner.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think his libido is out of control and he needs to sleep with different women so that he can feel better about himself. Well, I am concerned for his wife, she might get an STD because of him.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I can't tell for certainty whether or not the uncle is a sex addict or not but it cost money to have call girls. He is not in financial ruins is he? Sex addiction is real and can be just as damaging.
  5. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

He might have not been addicted to the prostitutes, maybe addicted to sex? Which is a serious addiction, I'm sorry for your aunt. Its an addiction that ruins lots of families. I hope he was able to find help.
  6. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It definitely can be an addiction. And it does happen a lot to people you'd least expect. They live a double life but ALL things come to light eventually. And it's sad and dangerous that he ruined his marriage. He could easily have contracted a STD and gave it to his wife.
  7. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

This is a real thing. I have lived in a place where ladies of the night were a common thing and some of my friends would go every night, spending last pennies there. And they are quite normal people, some of them with girls and even married. Sometimes they didn't go there with a smile like before. It was almost like they were sick of it but still they would go. It was so strange but i understood them. Under pressure people tend to show bad and weak sides. It is easy to be 'normal' when life cuddles you. try to do that when life forgets about you.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

Many people have ruined their families because of prostitution. Some don't mind whether they can contract STDs and STIs. It is also true that you can spend all your savings on prostitutes. We have to avoid the habit at whatever cost if we want to be loved by our spouses.
  9. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Well sexual addiction is an issue, one that has ruined many marriages. I am speaking from experience. Some people do not want to give it up or seek treatment. Your uncle may think he is Charlie Sheen, but he has recently been diagnosed with HIV. That is the result of his addictive behavior and all addictions end badly.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Most of the time addiction consumes the people you expect the least. We all have our problems, and no one has nerves of steel. Communication is key when it comes to avoiding addiction triggers. Talking about our struggles with our loved ones can prevent an eventual use of substances, or services in this case. Most likely, your uncle was misunderstood and this made him desperate.