An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does regular drinking always lead to addiction?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by k9cb, Jul 20, 2015.

1. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

It's a very big and notable boundary between regular and excessive drinking, there's no doubt about that. They say that a glass of wine a day helps your heart pump even better than before, but if you drink it too much, it will be exactly the opposite. I really don't see how one could become addicted if they drink just 2 glasses of wine/beer per day, but I guess each to their own, haha!
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

My grandfather used to drink a small bottle of beer every night after eating his dinner and I do not think he was considered as alcoholic. There are also some who drink wine in their meals daily but not considered as addicted to it already. So I think it is possible not to be addicted to it even you drink it daily on a very minimal amount. Although there could also be cases in which this kind of daily alcohol consumption lead to addiction.
  3. akko

akko Member

I believe this really depends on the person. Some people compared to others have a more addictive and dependent personality so each case will vary in my opinion.

Being a regular drinker myself, I usually will have a glass of wine or beer every other night. I do not consider this too excessive, nor do I consider myself dependent on alcohol as I am still able to sustain from drinking when I choose to.

However, I do believe drinking daily can be dangerous and risky as someone may start building up a high tolerance, so instead of having just one glass, it can lead to two or more. This could possibly lead to addiction, but know your own limits.
  4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

No, I dont think regular drinking leads to addiction. Not always at least. Some folks are able to casually drink with no problems. While others spiral out of control. I think it all comes down to a combination of genetics and an individuals self control.
  5. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I think it's more how the drinking affects one's life. If you drink every weekend, or have some wine with dinner every night, that's fine. It's when you drink so much you can't function in daily life, or are putting yourself or others at risk that you have a problem.
  6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

No everyone is different, not all people just become alcoholics like that and form a dependency with the liquor, need to have that hole in the first place for it to fill.
  7. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I think so, yes. At the very least it becomes a habit. Even if there might not be such craving for alcohol, you get used to it. Like anything else in life, the more time you do something, the harder it becomes to get rid of it. However, I don't think that drinking a glass of wine, regularly, is such a problem. Personally, i don't drink at all, unless it's a very important event, but some mild alcohol could be even beneficial. Of course, mind the dose!
  8. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

NO!! Regular drinking does not lead to addiction. You can not make an alcoholic out of a Non-Alcoholic. That being said, it is important to note that many people that find themselves to be drinking regularly are more likely to be alcoholics. I think this is just obvious. It is said that we may have crossed over an invisible line at some point and thus kick-start the alcoholics defining symptom - the craving. Alcohol is a food, not a drug; n spite of what many like to believe of course. If I use heroin regularly I AM going to become an addict. The same is true for Meth and Crack.

I like to compare alcoholism to sex and gambling addictions. Those are legitimate diseases. The act of gambling and having sex is not addictive to just anyone; only to person with the disease. So you either got it or you don't.
  9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

My father was never an alcoholic nor could be considered a social drinker because he was not the kind of man wanting to get a shot from time to time, but he was a charming person with tons of friends everywhere and it was common to get a friend inviting him to play poker, or another taking him to a venue and so on.

He then used to drink with them, but I never ever saw him drunk, perhaps a bit euphoric, or a bit dizzy, but never developed an alcohol addiction.

Moreover, having tons of friends loving to drink socially, my father used to buy large quantities of alcoholic beverages. Boxes and boxes of wine were always stored at home, and he used to give me some, based on the fact that I was pursuing a professional career in the hospitality industry, that included restaurant and bars management.

He never abused of alcohols but I did based on an issue I already shared in this forum when I first landed here.

So I would say the answer is NO, regular drinking not always lead to addiction. My father drank one or two shots regularly for his whole life, and was never addicted to alcohol or any other drug.
  10. mickella18

mickella18 Active Contributor

It depends on self control and self reliance. It does not necessarily have to be that every drink will lead to another, then another, then an addiction.

One just has to be controlled and moderate.
  11. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I don't think so, I believe that addiction to alcohol it's more in the person than in the substance itself, some person tend to become addicted from the very first glass because of their way of seeing the world while others tend to never become addicted. For example, I have a friend who is muslim, from his very first beer (which was at the age of 14 because of a traumatic experience in his family) he started somehow to become addicted, at this moment he won't even come out of the house if it's not for a drink. I started drinking much earlier, but I never really got addicted and right now I don't even drink anymore.
  12. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Yes drinking almost every night can lead to addiction. I have a cousin who buys a six pack every night and sits down, drinks it, doesn't get drunk but goes to bed. I am sure he is not addicted because some weeks I see him go without a beer. So really I believe it depends on the person, and how they handle their habits and decisions. but yes, you can get addicted if your an average drinker.
  13. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Regular drinking does not ALWAYS lead to addiction. Most people have a high tolerance and can say no to becoming addicted. It really just depends on the person who is drinking. Some people may get addicted after one bottle of beer while others may get addicted after five. There is also the factor of self control. A lot of people can take a moment and realize that too much drinking would get them addicted, and, in turn, stop drinking.
  14. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

Regular drinking does not always lead to addictive drinking, even though to some it may lead most people who drink a regular amount do not get addicted. To some people drinking could be a daily thing but others only drink in special occasions. Drinking could be bad sometimes, but if the person does not drink so often it will be fine, and if they person feels like it is getting severe, then they should ask a friend what they think about their drinking habits.
  15. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Drinking has a 24% addiction rate last time I checked. Theoretically, there is always a chance that any amount of drinking can get you addicted. Be careful
  16. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think when people do do regular drinks that the are drinking often and on regular basis. I think they are considered to be social alcoholics. Being a social alcoholic can be as dangerous as being a full blown alcoholic.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

If it comes to a point in which the person "needs" to have the glass of wine or drink at a specific time or day of the week, then this could lead to addictive behavior. There are people who are more prone to addiction than others. When you have to have the substance in order to relax or function, that is when you should be worried about addiction. Many people have a glass of wine with dinner, or a beer after work and never develop a problem, but you have to be careful especially if addiction runs in your family.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is true that regular drinking can lead to addiction. You will make daily drinking as a habit which you will find difficult to stop. If you find yourself drinking atleast daily, then it means that you are becoming an addict. You will be increasing your daily intake as you continue making new friends in pubs and parties.
  19. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

Almost always! When you drink regularly your body continues to crave alcohol and sooner it becomes a way of life. At some point you will be unable to function without alcohol which is what addiction is all about. Alcohol has a way of pulling one in when consummed often. You would have to be really disciplined to keep your intake to the barest minimum no matter how often you drink!
  20. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

It depends on so many things, including your personality type, the amount that you drink, what you drink, who you're with, and why you drink. You could get some people who have a couple of beers a day but couldn't skip a day, whereas you can have others who can binge drink every day for a few months straight but would still be able to stop suddenly without looking back if they were asked to for some reason. There is no rule really, but on the whole drinking alcohol is never a good thing, so if you do choose to do it, even if you don't have an addiction, it just has to be in moderation or there is no way that you're going to be able to keep a hold of it in the future.