An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does smoking weed once or twice a year makes me an addict?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by pau21, Aug 27, 2015.

1. pau21

pau21 Member

I joined this forum because I'm addicted to cigarettes, but earlier on I saw a thread asking if it's better to smoke weed or cigarettes. I realized I smoke pot from time to time, maybe two or three times a year. Does this make me an addict? I like getting high, not every day or often, but I do like it.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I wouldn't consider you an addict of you only partake in it a few times a year. The fact that you only do it occasionally shows that it is not something that you need in your life. You enjoy it but you don't depend on it to get through life. I am sure you will get lots of other opinions but for me I would not consider your smoking an addiction. Just something you do once in a while for the pleasure of it
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Are you serious man? Are you actually asking us if you are an addict from smoking weed 3 times a year? You should know the answer to that already based on if you compare your cigarette smoking and weed smoking. Is there a difference? How much do you cigarettes do you smoke that you consider it to be an addiction. Is it similar to how much pot you have been smoking? Probably not. So you can answer your own question.
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

No, not yet at least, so you do need to be careful...
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I wouldn't say you are already considered an addict just by smoking weed 3 times a year. But it could lead to something worse so it is better for you to stop your smoking habit now before it could lead to an addiction.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that smoking twice or thrice a year is an addiction already. Right that be careful not to make that a habit and eventually become an addiction problem.
  7. Owlwright

Owlwright Member

I don't think you are an addict but if I were you I would be cautious. If you are someone who is prone to addiction, (which I guess you are hence the nicotine addiction), you could get addicted easily to any substances you consume.
    So yeah, being careful is very important, I would try to quit smoking if I were you.
  8. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

Nicotine addiction probability is genetic. I'm on the flip-side of you. I like to smoke weed everyday, but I only smoke cigarettes when I feel like it. It is very easy for me to stop smoking cigs for months at a time. Now, that is not my basis for how I know it is genetic, but it is one of the things they will give you a report on if you take one of those gene-sample tests you can have done nowadays.
    It is difficult to become chemically addicted to MJ. I on't suffer withdrawals from it, and basically smoke it because it is around. I haven't smoked in over 2 weeks, yet I am not craving it or savaging the city looking for it, either. I just have to get my life situated after a move.
  9. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Not at all. An addiction is when something interferes with your life. Smoking weed a few times a year isn't going to alter your life for the negative. Now, if you were smoking every day it would be a different story. The cigerettes are the real issue you need to focus on.
  10. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

Not in the least bit. You could obviously do without it considering you only do it one or twice a year. I drink once or twice a year and I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Smoking once or twice doesn't make you an addict. If you were an addict the first thing you'd have lost is the ability to choose when you smoke or when you don't. The cravings would be so intense that you'd be forced to use weed every day. However that doesn't necessarily mean you are safe. Smoking, even occasionally, increases the risk of you ending up being an addict.
  12. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think smoking even once could be a risk, I don't think indulging in it is a good idea because indulging even once is a sign of weakness to it.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh no, that's definitely NOT addiction. As long as you can continue to somke marijuana in moderation, as you are doing now, you shouldn't encounter any problems. Just remember not to use it as a "crutch".
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I don't think it is a good idea to do that. You just need to realize that cigarettes in the early days doctors promoted it. They made it seem like it was good for you. What are they doing with weed? Medical marijuana they are pushing yet another thing to smoke. I would stay away from it. There are better things to do with yourself then inhaling smoke for pleasure. Especially since it causes psychosis, neurosis, and paranoia. Makes you be out of touch with reality and will later make symptoms come up.
    I use to think it was ok, but the more I observe the way things are going. I am not for it. Yeah so this one says that doesn't make you an addict and you have self control. It is still using. Oh yeah look at the christmas time cocaine user that grabs it up for the special occasion. Its all just garbage.
    Listen do you want to be like these celebrities who walk around stealing shoe laces and going to jail for whatever. You think they are doing this just because of alcohol. No, marijuana makes you fall out of touch with reality. It is a slow sneak up drug. You won't know what hit you when things go wrong and people think you are loosing it. Paranoia is usually something that occurs quickly with marijuana. The psychosis and neurosis can take up to 4 years to start showing up, even if you no longer do it.
    psychosis: a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.
    neurosis: a relatively mild mental illness that is not caused by organic disease, involving symptoms of stress(depression, anxiety, obsessive behavior, hypochondria) but not a radical loss of touch with reality. Compare with psychosis.• (in nontechnical use) excessive and irrational anxiety or obsession:
  15. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

What really determines if we are addicted to a substance is the question of whether or not we can abstain from it. It would seem that the frequency at which you take that drug is low, but the fact that you take such a detrimental drug is a sign of worse that could happen.
  16. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Just liking something doesn't make you addicted to it. If you only smoke pot once or twice a year, you have no physical dependence on it. You're not addicted.
  17. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I wouldn't classify occaisional or social use of a substance an addiction, especially if it's something you can do without, don't crave, doesn't cause any problems in your life or if you can actually say no to it.
    Sounds like you just like to let your hair down sometimes and as long as you are careful, cautious, know the risks and have complete control over your actions I think you are safe.
    The fact that you are concerned about it does make me think you could be weighing out if you have a problem so I would encourage you to stick around for support and encouragement and maybe take a personal inventory of your feelings so to speak and explore your mind and heart to see if you might want to make some changes.
    Best of wishes and kudos to you for being open and honest!
  18. kgord

kgord Community Champion

What do you think? generally an addict is someone who is addicted to a substance. I would scarely think smoking weed once or twice a year would make you an addict. Most people who are" addicted" are using on a regular basis. Plus pot may have a psychological hold on you but it is not really something that people get physically addicted to. Although some people do develop a dependency on it.
  19. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

You're definitely not an addict. If you don't feel the need to smoke very often, I doubt you're addicted. Some people use things like smoking and eating to escape from reality, but it you're not doing it then I doubt you're addicted or even in risk of becoming addicted to it. Remember then all things in extreme and bad and that too much of a good thing becomes a bad things.
  20. p4lse

p4lse Member

This just proves that you have amazing self control and will power. No, you're not an addict. This is totally fine but make sure this doesn't gradually increase in the upcoming years.