An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does this forum help you?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I joined this forum right after I quit smoking cigarettes and I love coming on here everyday and visiting with people who are also trying to fight addictions, whatever those addictions are. I find a lot of inspiration and encouragement just talking amongst you all and providing help and advice where I can. Have you found your road to fighting the addiction a little easier since being on here like I have?
    Joseph likes this.
  2. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

I am finding support in this forum as well. As much as I can talk to my friends I like being able to talk to someone who knows exactly what you are going through. Also by posting on a forum I'm able to express my feelings and know that I won't be criticized. The internet is filled with some bad content but I like to think about the good sites and the ones that are really helpful. Also by posting I'm making new friends. I find it very helpful and I hope that I will be able to help others.
  3. Oyes

Oyes Member

Yes! Certainly this forum helps me. I have read into the many experiences and stories of persons who used to be drug addicts and now are loosed from those chains. Also, there are those who still continue to struggle, and it is for that same reason why I am here to assist with whatever way I can. It is an 'each one help one' forum, which makes it stands out from the other forums that hardly contributes anything meaningful to one's life. I am not a drug abuser but, I know a lot of family members, friends and co-workers who are; and because of this forum, I am now better able to assist with counseling for them. So it helps.! :)
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Yes, this forum really does help me. It's a place to come and chat about whatever is on your mind and everyone here is really friendly. I know how hard getting clean is and if I can help anyone out, then I am happy to do so.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've found the motivation I need to fight cravings and stay clean on this forum. I've learned a lot from others here who managed to combat and overcome their addictions and the very fact that they managed to make it is inspiration enough to keep fighting so I can join that elite group of 'former addicts.'
  6. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Yes, this forum does help me. I am not battling an addiction, but I do have plenty of friends who are, so being able to connect with the people on here and listen to their stories, ideas, and advice definitely helps me help my friends, if that makes sense. I love the community on here, everyone is so kind and open, and are capable of disagreeing respectfully. I've never witnessed a person attacking another on this forum, which is great. I've seen drug abuse forums where the users are so nasty to each other, but not this one. I appreciate the wonderful users on here, everyone contributes to this community, and I appreciate that.
  7. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I would like to actually say thanks to this forum because here is where I find encouragement as well. But not only that, but I've even gained knowledge about drug addiction and rehabilitation. But the best part is helping other people deal with it and rev eventually recover.
  8. juno

juno Community Champion

I think this forum is very inspiring. It is a place I can get my thoughts out and know that there are others out there dealing with similar issues. When I can't confide else where, I can always come here to search for an answer before I have to seek professional help.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The forum has shed some light on several addiction issues as well as provided various sources of inspiration for individuals who need it, including individuals who have experienced non-substance addictions. We're all battling some form of addiction in our respective lives - not necessarily substances. When you hear of other people's testimonies and successes, it makes you realize that it's never too late to redeem your life.
    Winterybella likes this.
  10. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

Yes, I think this forum is helpful. You see what others are going through and have overcome and you realize there are people going through similar situations and have or are in the process of recovering of learning how to better react to people in their lives who are or are in need of recovery. I think it also helps one take a better look at their own issues, addictions and other issues.
  11. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

I think forums like this are very therapeutic for everyone. It lets you connect with others that may be going through the same things as you. You can also get advice on how to cope with the stresses of life. If you can't verbally speak with someone, this is a great way to let out your frustrations.
  12. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

It helps me when I speak with other people. I'm glad I found a community where I can truly be myself.
  13. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

I just came here few days ago, so I'm not sure yet...but I know this:
    1. this is the first time I really started realistically think about watching less TV soon and dealing with the issues I've been avoiding for a while. Writing what I do to myself on here is helping me see more clearly how bad it actually is. Though I've had alcoholic and drug-addicted friends and I know it can be worse. But what I do is certainly far from healthy and okay. Just because I'm out of the worst part of my issues, doesn't mean I should let myself slide and do so much unhealthy things
    2. I hadn't realized that this issue I have is something I never talk about, it seems embarrasing to say it, I guess, like something I can stop doing if I wanted to, but that I do it to myself. Like, who can't stop watching, really? Until writing on here I hadn't realized how good it feels to just say things, write them down, for me or for others.
    MrsJones likes this.
  14. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

This forum actually helped me express my opinions, give my insights on certain situations, and also it helped me give advice to people who are really having a hard time during their current lives.

When I help others, it makes me feel better. This forum also lets me hear what others think of certain things and it's just a whole forum of sharing stories, helping others, and just giving love to one another. I actually get advice from the forum as well, and it's helped me in quite a few daily situations.

My approach in life has improved.
  15. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

This. I was going to type it out, but Angie here made my point for me. It makes me feel better to think I'm helping, or at least TRYING to help. Before I only thought of myself.
  16. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

I came here to seek help with a friend's situation actually. I received some good advice on that topic. I stuck around because I found some many of the stories inspiring and a lot of the information in general very helpful. Like someone else pointed out, it also made me start reassessing some areas in my own life where I felt "addicted" - too much phone use, too much app use, etc - and it really is true that acknowledging the problem is the first step to making a change :)
  17. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I have to commend this forum, it really is a life savior to most of us! Since joining it I have learned a tremendous amount of things regarding substance abuse that I had not really paid much attention to before and this has had a positive impact in my life as a whole. I am much more alert with thr information and I have a place where I can voice out my opinions, ask for help and get great advice without being judged or looked down on. It really is a wonderful platform for anyone who has substance abuse issues or even anyone who is looking to learn more about the different addictions and so forth!
  18. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Not only this, but the fact of this knowledge can be spread to other forums and people suffering from the same conditions we have/are suffering from. This is a very good tool to aid in the assistance of recovery of people on a large scale. Some people even feel they're alone, which is obviously not the case.

You aren't the first one to use a drug, or to abuse it, or even offer help. However, this doesn't mean you can't BE helped. This forum is a very good encyclopedia.
  19. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Not only has this forum helped and inspired me, it has also taught me a lot about what others are going through. Many drugs listed on here I never tried, but I can see the horrible effects that they have had on people's lives. We all have a chance to be helpful and supportive.
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yup, it's pretty helpful. Well, I've beaten my addiction some time ago, but this forum made me realize there are people with bigger problems than mine and that I'm not the only one. Also, I've seen many interesting stories here. I like reading life stories and such. It's a very nice forum.