An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Nyer455, May 4, 2020.

1. Nyer455

Nyer455 Member

I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this, but I'm not sure where else to turn.

My brother in law was recently caught stealing a lot of money from my family's business and apparently he's been doing it for over a year. He claims he has a cocaine addiction & the theft was to support the addiction.

His story doesn't sit right with me, but I don't have enough knowledge about the drug to be sure. If he's lying then he's covering up something & scamming my sister. If he's telling the truth then he needs help.

It would help so much if anyone can tell me if the following makes sense:
    - he claims to be using regularly for two years, taking 5 lines per day
    - he stole upwards of $300k in the past year, all for cocaine (no money left)
    - purchases were made via bank transfers to middlemen (a stripper & a part time teacher)
    - his wife, co-workers and parents never noticed anything, ever. No nosebleeds, touching the nose, sniffing, twitching, etc
    - 1 day a week he'd spend with his wife, not using at all
    - he quit cold turkey a few days ago with no I'll effect outside of some weight loss

This is a sensitive situation and I greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thanks
  2. CelesteLedi

CelesteLedi Member

Hey, I hope you're alright, that sounds awful for your family. I'm sorry.

That man was NOT addicted to cocaine. Five lines a day would hardly sustain a first timer. In my honest opinion, it sounds like a con. I'm really sorry
  3. Nyer455

Nyer455 Member

thank you, that's what I suspected.
  4. CameronAlsop

CameronAlsop Active Contributor

Usually addicts always claim that they are not addicted. An acquaintance of mine (a very close person to me) claimed that he could do without the nasty habit, but he had to eat a lot to do so. When he stopped using drugs he got fat all the time. He was offered weight gain syrup to make up for his weight loss after taking drugs. But he wouldn't listen to anyone. He ended up lying and getting fat/losing weight depending on his drug use and got sick (something happened to his heart)
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022