An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does Timing Matter?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Look around the net and you'll stumble into a lot of misleading information.

I saw something on a blog, advice which didn't too helpful. The writer claimed that one should wait until they feel they are ready to fight an addiction before taking any action. How long would that wait take? Years? Maybe decades?

Question: do you think one should try to fight their addictions only when they feel they are ready for it or take action as soon as they realize they have a problem?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There's no harm in trying to fight your addiction at any time, but I do think a person needs to be in the right frame of mind before they will be able to do it successfully.

I wouldn't say that's a matter of waiting for the right time, but more of taking time to get your head in the right state to allow you to make a start.
    Jasmine2015 likes this.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

When people realize they have a problem, it means they are ready to fight for their freedom. Therefore, addictions should be tackled right after they are spotted. Remember, now is the right time to do anything, and if you leave it for later it might be too late already.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think as soon as realize you have a problem your ready. Your never going to feel like fighting an addiction. The sooner you make the decision to quit the sooner you will. It's really all a state of mind when you have grown a dependence on something. Attempt to go without whatever your addicted to for a month and if you fail keep trying.
    It's like building a muscle will power must be developed.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think as soon as you realize that you have a problem then you should take the steps needed to deal with it. Most cases others have realized it long before you did. The sooner you take action, the sooner you can be on the road to a healthier you. It is never too soon to make changes.
  6. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

|Every individual is different so a different answer would probably apply depending on the persons situation, but I tend to agree that until you feel you are really ready to quit something for yourself, you are likely not going to be that successful. If you quit because someone else tells you you have a problem, even though you may realize it yourself, the fact that you are doing it because someone else is suggesting it, it is always going to nag at you that you aren't doing it because you thought it was vital to do so. As well, just because you have come to the realization that you have a problem, does not mean that you are in the right mind set to quit it. However, the moment you become aware that you have a problem and truly believe that you do, you are on the road to recovery whether you know it or not. The second a voice inside you starts to tell you this is wrong, something in you is fighting the addiction. It might take a little while for the rest of your brain to catch up but when it does, you will be much more likely to succeed in an attempt to quit.
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I think merely recognizing that you have a problem means that you are ready to fight it. I don't know what other signs one could look for to tell themselves that they are ready to do it. Accepting that you have a problem is the first step to recovery.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Timing is everything, but you can take small steps to achieve what you want every day of your life. I remember the first couple of days I tried to quit smoking. I think it was like day number 2 I found out that my husband was sexting on me and that was a huge emotional pill to swallow. It was the worst timing for someone who is trying to quit smoking and I ended up running to the nearest pack of cigarettes around and smoked like 3 in a row. After that I was able to cut back again and eventually get back on my way to quitting, but the timing was horrible.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Realizing that they have a problem is different from being ready, since realization is entirely usless if they arent willing to put some effort into making a change. However, to answer your question, I think that the ideal time to quit abusing drugs is when they realize that they have a problem, so even if their mindset isn't entirely ready to, they should try to force it for their own good.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It really depends on the person, and which method would work best for him/her. Some people find it really hard to overcome their addictions, and yes, there are instances that they are just not ready to quit substance abuse. And if that's the case, I think it's just fine because they shouldn't be feel pressured about recovery since it might not turn out to be successful. Sometimes, it just takes time.
  11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

On the one hand, I would say that one should start fighting addiction whenever a moment of lucidity comes across making us feel we are wrong about the way we are abusing alcohol, drugs, other substances, or a behavioral pattern is affecting one's life.

However and on the other hand, actually we should be careful with what we read on the web, paying attention to some background information on the sources, and even confronting more than one, particularly having one of those sources being a really authoritative site, because nowadays anyone write down "expert advice" just to drive traffic and make money from it.

Accredited medical sources, government sites, renowned authors, or well-established sites should be our first bet when looking for specific health/addition-related information because, in addition, I don't know from where people tend to believe Wikipedia is an "authoritative" source.

Yeah, they work hard to improve what you read, but it is edited by anyone and plagued of mistakes, inaccurate or incomplete information yet.

Nonetheless, when one is looking for others' experience leading with drug addictions and health problems, forums like this, showing real member engagement among one another, is the way to go definitely.
  12. 12stepinit

12stepinit Member

I think this person was misinterpreting the idea that no one will quit until they want to quit, which I agree with, but it is very dangerous advice to tell people not to try to quite unless they are ready.

Like you said in your post, could be years, could be never. Also it's been proven (at least with tobacco) that the more times you try to quit, the longer you make it without relapse, and the higher chances that you will quit for good.

Obviously as soon as they realize they have a problem, to realize you have a problem and do nothing is insanity, and I think most people realize that. Unfortunately the bigger hurdle is realizing you have a problem to begin with.
  13. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Timing is everything is something we always hear, but in the case the timing to quit addiction is now, not later today, tomorrow on in the end of the year. It's something we cannot postpone.
  14. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

If you're not ready to fix it, it's not going to happen. That being said, most addicts are ready to start that process as soon as they admit to themselves that they really do have a problem.
  15. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

I don't know if most addicts are ready to start the process, I really doubt that. They are scared to leave their addiction and they are stuck in that fake reality.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it was about taking action as soon as I realized that my drinking was a problem. I was scared to fight addiction - and probably even scared to openly admit it had gotten out of control - but it needed to be done. Waiting until the time is "right" to fight an addiction can be tough, because is there ever a right time and perfect situation to do anything tough in life? Not really! We're always faced with challenges.
  17. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

The thing is to start as soon as possible. That advice is not a good one at all. I am not saying because i believe it is true i say because it is common sense. We are talking about things that are killing you so more time you let them do that they will be closer to the goal. Do the maths and ask yourself if timing is not crucial. I have seen people waiting for too long. Ok, not waiting, they just didn't consider any other possibility then taking drugs some are dead the others in mental institutions. You need to act now. Whether it is your problem or a problem of your close ones.
  18. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Timing can be pretty crucial, but I would personally encourage anyone who wants to make the change to "brute-force" it as soon as possible, because waiting in stagnation is a dangerous game. The fact of the matter, however, is that if you are NOT ready to improve, it will be close to impossible to take serious action, unfortunately.
  19. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think that's a dangerous stance to take. Drugs could take your life before you get a chance to get into treatment so it's best to get in there as soon as possible. Sometimes waiting is detrimental.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah I'm going to agree with what you are saying especially with drugs and alcohol. Its always just one more or just one more time. The mental language has to change. There are other things that this can work with but not really with drugs. I can certainly understand where they are coming from with this idea. It basically needs to be a conscious choice of the individual to have the complete intention of changing their life. Otherwise they more than likely will mess up. Its getting that person to the point of realization of what's best. Subtle suggestions or lightly spoken points to get them to wake up. There's two main things that would deter anyone if you pressed it. Telling them what to do and doing it in a nasty way. Its not going to work. Lacing something with anger doesn't accomplish much. Choice, individual choice is far way more high on the pole than telling someone what to do. They will apply themselves way better when they make their own decision to actually do what they need to do. Forcing people into rehab makes no sense because as soon as they get out they could quite possibly just hide it more, so. This can play into the opinion of the blog you are referring to. The whole thing of it is that whomever is doing their best to influence the individual must be effective in their approach or they will just drive them further into the addiction.
    Ok so your question; should someone wait until they are ready to fight the addiction? Its like a yes and no answer. Yes they need to be ready and want to do it, for sure. Those around them, concerned. Need to realize that they should do their best to make that happen as quickly as possible and that's it. If it is perpetuating and no movement in the right direction. Re-evaluate the approach. We know they shouldn't wait, but the individual with the addiction is stuck and needs to see the truth for themselves. A person could take forever to figure this out. Sometimes others mean well but they could be perpetuating it with negativity or anger.