An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does Timing Matter?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Dec 6, 2015.

1. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

In my opinion, a person has to be ready, you know they talk about getting to rock bottom. Addicts have to really want to get clean before they will make the necessary effort. I don't know if one can use a timeline in the case of addiction because if given too much time the addict may no longer be around.
  2. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

The motivation to quit drugs or alcohol has to be total because it's something very hard to be accomplished and cannot be done with a maybe, but only with a full yes I want to quit.
  3. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

Well, the way I see it is this: You have to want to help yourself and be well to actully be clean. You may be sober for a while because you're with family or others, but you may revert once they're gone. That's not to say others can't help, though. They can help your inspiration, but they can't motivate you without you already having some hint of motivation.
  4. oportosanto

True, we need to have the motivation inside ourselves, we can rely on others for additional support, but the base of the recovery has to be inside us or else we won't make it.
  5. HalfBeard

That's not to say the help of loved ones cannot go a long way, though.
  6. oportosanto

I am not sure what you mean by your post beard. Love has no limits and our loved ones can surely help, at the same time we do need to make an effort, no one can change us, only we can!
  7. HalfBeard

I agree completely! I just wanted to make sure people didn't mistake my stress on the importance of the individual as casting away the merits of support!
  8. oportosanto

In a certain way it's a joint effort in the sense that the people around those recovering play an important role, but the effort we make it's fundamental and nothing happens without it.
  9. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

I think what the blogger was trying to say is that you should wait till you feel ready or strong enough before you start to fight addiction. I personally think that this is a good idea. There is no point in trying to fight something, when you know you are just not strong enough to do it. No matter the support and help you get, it is highly unlikely that it would be possible, since the major decision lies in your hands.
  10. HalfBeard

It's a tough situation @deewanna because on the one hand you're right but on the other you want someone to heal ASAP and get rid of the risk of major health issues as soon as you can also.
  11. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I don't think timing matters when it comes to fighting addiction. Anybody can decide to stop at anytime. In fact the danger lies in waiting or postponing. Once you realise that you need to get off your addiction, the best thing to do is to act immediately and seek help as fast as possible.
    oportosanto likes this.
  12. oportosanto

It's a matter of words, but you are correct. In fact timing does matter and the best timing to quit is always now, not tomorrow or later today.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Eh... I believe that super passive approach should only be adopted and embraced by the loved ones of the addict, since they can't force him or her to want to change, so.... But if you are the addict and you realize you have a problem, then it's better to work step by step towards a solution.
  14. oportosanto

Super passive is something strong, but at the same time there is not much other people can do if the addict isn't open to a change. He/she really needs to want to change...
  15. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

You can't wait to fight addiction when you think that you are ready. It's like telling a newborn to stop sucking when he thinks he is old enough.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I agree that once you start you are fully motivated to get on with it, but you shouldn't run before you can walk, as the saying goes.

Depending on the substance the person is recovering from, sometimes it's necessary to take things slowly and one day at a time.
  17. HalfBeard

Doing it before you're ready is probably conditional on the situation and person.
  18. oportosanto

Ouch, what do you mean by that Beard? Who is ready to quit? No one is ready, that is why we should do it now and not wait until later.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People can quit to early, like they can quit for the wrong reasons,,for another person and not for themselves for example.

When that happens, the likelihood of not relapsing decreases because their heart was never in it in the first place.
  20. HalfBeard

I mean how successful the attempt will be. Some will have the willpower to overcome the fact that they might not be "ready" yet, but for some it may be too strong until they have that strong epiphany. Everyone can come back though.