An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does tobacco/nicotine help you creatively?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by ejorman1010, Apr 9, 2016.

1. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

An interesting thing I've read about Stephen King was that he used to be a heavy smoker and he felt like the cigarettes, I guess the nicotine, helped him creatively. Has anyone else felt this way about the effects of nicotine? I don't know if there's a correlation, but does seem like a lot of artist types smoke cigarettes. The goal for people trying to quit would be to get off nicotine altogether, but I wonder if artists who believe they get a creative kick from nicotine would continue to use nicotine gum and patches instead of getting off of it completely.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I can't say if it has helped me be more creative but smoking cigarettes definitely helped me stay awake. It kept my brain active, if you can call it that. Anyway, I think it was more of a combination of cigarettes and coffee. Most writers smoke cigarettes and even drink alcohol to boost their creativity but I've never used them for that purpose. The things that I was able to write (with the help of alcohol and cigarettes) are things that I won't let anybody read. HA!HA! I guess instead of helping me to be more creative, they just removed my inhibitions.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Nicotine is a stimulant and though it doesn't make someone more creative, a heavy smoker would probably get more work done than some who doesn't smoke. Because they write more when smoking they could believe that tobacco did make them more creative but it really doesn't. Instead of using tobacco as a stimulant writers should use something that's less harmful to their health. Coffee does have caffeine. It could be a good substitute.
  4. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I can certainly see where someone could make that argument. I would have to say that maybe early on in my use it was linked to some kind of creativity, but then once I was addicted it was more just keeping up with that and maintaining my sanity. I would say that if there is any link then it is rather small, but that is just me and maybe others are different and have different experiences.
  5. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I could not say it helps me creatively like for real, all it does help me with is relaxing and focusing then I can open my creativity and ideas can come to my mind way more easily, it is not really like I will smoke a cigarette and a brainstorm will show up, but it somehow helps me even though I am already a creative person, it helps me a little bit.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think people like to attribute their creativity to something. I personally think that creativity is something that we have in ourselves and there isn't a substance that we can take that heightens our senses.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My fiance reports that he is way more creative when he doesn't smoke and has more energy. But I guess some people feel more creative when smoking, but to me that is more a psychological thing and nothing else.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've really never heard of this. I don't think this helps creativity at all. There's nothing that nicotine has ever done to help me creatively when I used to smoke. This is really all in the mind.
  9. Joethefirst

I have heard the same thing, it seems to help you focus better and not feel so distracted. Smoking does make you more lethargic because of the decrease in oxygen levels.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The whole time I smoked I never even had a single creative urge, so I wonder if the people who did are just imagining that cigarettes have an effect in their increase in creativity? I think weed can make you more creative, but cigarettes? No.
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've heard drugs, especially LSD helps people with being creative. But I've never heard that smoking has made anyone creative. I'm not even sure that weed makes folks creative, as I spend some time with marijuana smokers when I was in college; many of which were art students but the art they produced wasn't exactly mind-blowing.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't think it helped my creativity at all - I think the main thing I used it for was as a 'stress relief' thing but quite honestly it was just that I needed to learn better coping strategies for stress. These days I can't think of many things worse than poisoning my body when I'm already stressed out! Very counter productive!
  13. Joethefirst

Yes most people use nicotine to relive stress not that it really does, it only relives the stress of not having a cigarette.