An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does using Marijuana at a young age negatively impact the future?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by stridee, Aug 4, 2015.

1. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Usually when teenagers use marijuana at a young age, they tend to get addicted. This affects their lifestyle as sometimes the addiction can get so bad that it negatively impacts their lives. Does using Marijuana at a young age have a negative impact on that person's future? Or does it depend entirely upon a person's ability to recognize that too much marijuana use can impact their lives for better or worse?
  2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Each person is his own being, one kid smoking might ruin his life while another could smoke from day 1 till the day he dies and be perfectly fine. Just all depends on the person and why they are smoking.
  3. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

"Usually when teenagers use marijuana at a young age, they tend to get addicted." "This affects their lifestyle as sometimes the addiction can get so bad that it negatively impacts their lives."
    The addiction rate for cannabis 8%, less that alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine. "

"Does using Marijuana at a young age have a negative impact on that person's future?"
    If you notice, those that can get the substance at such a young age are usually not in areas where communication, family, and education are a priority. This completely skews the data when regarding the "future" of a child. It usually depends completely on the child's surroundings when it comes to how the child ends up in the future.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it all depends on the person. If they have an addictive personality, then for sure they will get hooked to drugs, but if they are anything like me, then they will rarely consume it and it won't impact them negatively at all as long are they are sensible people.
  5. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Marijuana has proven bad for the adult's mind, let alone teenagers, a young brain is still under development and Marijuana will sure effect it negatively...
  6. sksmith094

sksmith094 Member

In my opinion, yes.

When I was a teen, smoking made 'doing nothing' into a fun activity. I was never bored, never motivated to do anything new, etc.. because I was smoking and playing video games nightly. I wasn't able to focus on my schoolwork or a career for the future.

On top of that, at a young age smoking can put you in with a bad crowd. A lot of kids that were potheads in my high school have moved on to things like Cocaine, Methamphetamine, and even Heroin. I'm not trying to say that marijuana is necessarily a gateway drug here (that's a whole different topic), merely that it definitely does affect a kid's future if he decides to start smoking weed. It sure affected mine.
  7. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Depending on where a person lives, marijuana can be a huge expense for them. Another factor is what grade of marijuana they want. Now the addiction can have mental affects on young ones, but the fact that it can cost a substantial amount of money in the first place can have affects on their social life. (ex. no money to go out, party etc)

Marijuana use is become more popular among younger kids as I have noticed. I guess they just do it to fill up their time. the biggest problem I see with it is the fact that it costs and incredible amount of money. Also how illegal it is in most of the states, I think it is too much risk for not enough fun.
  8. sksmith094

sksmith094 Member

Great point about how much money it can cost a kid.. Spending $100 a week on bud is a very common thing for a lot of potheads, Lol!
  9. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

In my experience, many of m friends have suffered because they have used marijuana since a young age. Many of my friends did not get to graduate high school because they would rather smoke marijuana than to study and do their homework. I have also noticed that the people who did use marijuana in high school had a change in intelligence level. Many of the people that I knew that where smarter than me became less active in their school work and got left behind leaving them with bad grades on tests, homework and quizzes.
  10. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I believe it has a negative impact. I know a teen when he was about age 15 he started using it. He slowly started making bad grades. He dropped off the football team. He started making a lot of bad decisions and has now failed two grades. How is his future impacted? He will not graduate with his class being two years behind. He may need to take his GED. He is now addicted and seems to have a low self esteem. He doesn't even keep his room clean. The pot has slowly taken him down. He now has to smoke in order to stay relaxed.
  11. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

Marijuana didn't affect me negatively I smoked it nearly everyday in highschool and I think it helped me focus better. Although I did see some friends it negatively affected by their marijuana use. I really think it depends on the person.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

As far as recent research and studies go, it has been shown that smoking marijuana can cause a variety of adverse effects for those who start using at a young age, most notably under the age of 16. People who start using marijuana in their younger teens and continue their habit for years are more likely to experience psychosis (paranoia, delusions, etc) and have an increased chance of developing schizophrenia if they continue using it.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Lots of people would say it wouldn't but from my experience and growing with a lot of friends that smoked at a young age, I'd say that it does hinder their ability to prosper in their later years.

Most kids that I knew that smoked were lazy and all they cared about was smoking. Homework took a back seat to smoking. Family life was none existent because of weed.
  14. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

The perception that marijuana is what causes later life deficits is incorrect. The studies are skewed because those that do marijuana at a young age tend to be the same individuals who live in broken neglected homes.
  15. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I don't think it necessarily portends anything. Everybody's different. Lots of people I know smoked a few times in high school and never did it again. Although, I think having a lot of other stoner friends does encourage a person to keep smoking. And at least where I live, it seems like this leads to a really unambitious mindset.
  16. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I firmly believe this is possible. If you are introduced in the drug world from a very early age and don't stop from the very first time your curiosity overwhelmed your reason, it's going to be very, very though for one to get out of their cravings.
  17. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

In today's job market? Yes. It does. Most anything above fast food requires you to be clean or cheat the system, so it's just not worth it UNTIL you land a job, and then think about it. Random drug tests aren't going to happen unless you mess up on the job. But to GET the Job, you have to be clean. So if you start early, and use, not only can it negatively impact schoolwork and attendance, it can spoils chances for something better then McDonalds or Burger King.
    Winterybella likes this.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People often use general, sweeping statements to put all drug users into one category, and that's something you simply can't do.

Just because somebody smokes weed at a young age, doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to ruin their life in the future. Everyone is different and there are many people that use as a teen, experiment with drugs and then go on to lead successful lives.
  19. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Well marijuana impairs either grey or white matter growth in the brain? (I cant recall which one it si) and during the teenage years is when this matter is growing and developing so high levels of marijuana intake can hamper growth in youths yes.
  20. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Some say yes and some say no. I have seen cases where it has negatively impacted on the lives of some individuals I know. It has held them back and they continue to struggle to find work etc. One or two have been in trouble with the law and still have matters pending. They all started in their teens.

Then I will hear stories of people who used from an early age and live a healthy and prosperous life. It confuses me. Still if it's illegal I say stay away. Even if it were legal I'd still say the same thing.