An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does weed make you calm or anxious?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by amin021023, Sep 15, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

pot induced anxiety is discussed a lot on the internet, some say it relieves their anxiety and some say it increases it. Me personally, I've experienced both, but I get anxious specially if I smoke weed with high levels of THC or Hash which has a lot of THC and less CBD.
    lilfaerie28 likes this.
  2. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

I can only speak for myself but when I experimented with it it made me really paranoid. A couple of times when I tried some really strong stuff I started to hallucinate and had to run off and hide because I thought people were after me.

Some of my friends who were hardened dope smokers seemed to be very relaxed and suffered none of the effects that I did. I think it probably depends on your mood at the time and your tolerance to the particular dope you are smoking. Drug taking was very short lived with me as I didn't find it a pleasureable experience.
  3. Darkbloom

Darkbloom Member

The first few times, it did induce a feeling of well-being and creativity, but after that, the anxiety, and paranoia just got way too intense for me and I never used it after I had a bit of an anxiety attack. I know a few people who use it on a daily basis, and they don't seem to have any horrible side-effects. As far as drugs go, marijuana is mild, but it can certainly be bad for you in other ways than addiction. Some friends just become so unproductive on the stuff, and they don't do the stuff they ought to do, and suffer a bit of a mental penalty and fall behind in their studies. There is also an element of addiction - they use it so habitually that they do it on a daily basis, as away to deal with boredom and a way to socialize, when they should DO something else to deal with both the boredom and socializing.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Regulated amounts of marijuana can calm you down. After all, it's often used as an alternative sedative/pain killer. However, it seems like the substance affects different people in different ways. Some, particularly those already suffering from anxiety issues, end up getting more anxious. I think it's better to consult your doctor before you take marijuana (even if it's for medical purposes).
  5. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

If taken in small quantities, weed can actually calm your nerves and make you feel good generally. The medical marijuana can help to relieve pain. But if taken in high dosage, there a high tendency to be anxious.
  6. amin021023

@xtix: Actually it doesn't matter if you're suferring from anxiety or not because I knew the chillest persons who get anxious when smoke weed.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I've heard and seem different effects. What one "educator of marijuana" told me was that it can enhance whatever personality you have. If you are by nature a passive person you can likely be more passive. If you are aggressive, you could become more aggressive. I probably did not explain it well but at the time what he explained made a lot of sense and helped me to better understand a lot of behaviours I have seen.
  8. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I've seen students who originally became calm from it, but eventually became so habituated to it that the reverse occurred. Their mood and processing slowed down from being sober, and it was only by being high that they could function normally!
  9. amin021023

no, you explained it well enough, that's right, pot does heighten your mood therefore enhances some traits of your personality.
  10. glockman

glockman Member

Back in college I used to smoke a lot of weed. I'd finish a lecture and run home to draw on a fat toke. That was till I had a panic attack. I couldn't feel my limbs or face. I was really scared that was gonna hurt myself so I locked myself in the bathroom (the logic of it to my THC numbed brain was that since there is no electricity socket or knives there, I'd be fine) and threw the key out of the window. I had a really tough time explaining that to my girl when she came home. After that I couldn't stand weed. The very memory of that day would give me mini- panic attacks for months afterwards. Some one told me that was my brain rejecting the weed and he suggested I should quit as fast as possible.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I only smoked weed once, so I can tell you it calmed me down that time. I think it varies for each individual or your mood. It's mostly known for its ability to make people's seizures more tolerant and less aggressive, so I believe that the ones who get anxious from it are isolated cases.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

It usually calms me down. It did make somewhat anxious and paranoid in the early days, but once you get used to it, those things disappear and it usually just relaxes you. It's like the early days of drinking, when every time you went to bed drunk, everything seemed to spin around, but the effect goes away with time. I miss the old bed spinning days.
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

The reason someone can have different effects with Marajuana is because different strains of the plant have completely different chemical composition. Anxiety= Too much THC, calm= CBD balanced. Keep in mind some Marajuana plants are only useful as hemp. Each plants chemical composition can be different, unless of cource it's a clone grown in exactly the same way. If you don't know the chemical composition and are informed on what all of them mean I would avoid it altogether. Weed grown to be sold on the street can have anything in it, it's usually grown with pesticides and mixed with other plants to sell more. There is no way to know exactly what your getting when your buying from a dealer, most dealers will say it is whatever sells most. After all it is an unregulated business. Medically they are grown with health in mind, they are also regulated and must give information about each strain. This helps the patient receive proper medication.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am glad I conveyed what I wanted to and I am always interested in the marijuana conversation and learning as much as I can. It's the only substance I can say I have seen at work in people that are around me. With everything that is out there, it can sometimes get very confusing.
  15. When i used marijuana I always felt calm and collected, but I know from how my friends reacted that it may also make you violent.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Weed always made me very anxious, never really relaxed. I also have heart palpatations already, so it just made my heart worse. It would make my heart race uncontrollably and I felt like I was going to die. It also just made me forget everything, so it wasn't doing me any good. It was addicting to me though because I felt like it helped me with social anxiety. I'm a bad socializer and it helped me believe I could talk to people.
  17. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

For me, each time I smoke weed, it makes me calm and makes my thinking clear, I could solve problems and think deeply in things lol I really wonder why !
  18. amin021023

It's a wonder how differently weed affects people, unlike Doatk22 said, weed made my social anxiety worse.
  19. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Weed can make you feel either relaxed or anxious. If you had anxiety issues then odds are smoking weed will only exacerbate the problem. In extreme cases weed will get you depressed and the more you smoke it the depression will only get worse.

Never self-medicate because you don't know what the outcome of self-medicating might be.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think it works in both ways. If you're with friends who you feel comfortable with then it's going to chill you out and relax you. But then when you go outside amongst strangers or find yourself in awkward social situations it can work the opposite way and make you anxious or paranoid. I do think it's very largely a psychological problem.
    amin021023 likes this.