An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does weed make you calm or anxious?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by amin021023, Sep 15, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

so generally it makes you anxious right, else a stoned person wouldn't feel paranoid in any crowd like drunk people wouldn't.
  2. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

I think it all depends on if it is a sativa or indicia or hybrid strain. Just as alcohol affects people differently, I believe this to also be true of marijuana. I've seen some people actually get hyper from some strains and others become couch potatoes after smoking the same exact thing. The brain and our individuality are so unique that anything can affect people differently. An example is when I myself take Benadryl. Since I was a child, I've never gotten tired from it. If anything the complete opposite which goes to show our brains and individuality play a major part in how drugs affect us.
  3. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

It didn't increase my anxiety, but it made my heart race and when my heart is racing and I become aware of it, then that makes me hyper aware and anxious. It did take away my nausea and that helped to relax me a bit.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I haven't smoked weed that long to notice any anxiety from smoking it, but it did make me happy and hyper when I smoked it. If it can make me anxious then I will not smoke it again once I felt that certain effect.
  5. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

I know a few people who use it on a daily basis, and they don't seem to have any horrible side-effects. As far as drugs go, marijuana is mild, but it can certainly be bad for you in other ways than addiction. Some friends just become so unproductive on the stuff, and they don't do the stuff they ought to do, and suffer a bit of a mental penalty and fall behind in their studies.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I never smoked but when I hung around stoners semi-regularly, they were always the calm, happy-go-lucky types. That said, a friend of mine had some friends who ate pot brownies and became extremely anxious afterward. Too concentrated a dose, I think.

I’m pretty sure part of the reason I never wanted to smoke it was because I was concerned that it might intensify the anxiety issues I already have. Hahaha, getting worried about something that tends to calm people down, how’s that for an anxiety issue? Plus it was good enough for me to observe rather than participate.
  7. SamBo_LamBo

SamBo_LamBo Member

This, 100%. Don't buy weed from a dealer because they will give you a dosage that could make you miserable. If you get to the point where you need THC to calm down, go talk to a doctor about the right doses. Even then, make sure you have a disease that is worth using the chemical for because using any drug without needing to is harmful, no matter what it is.
  8. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I've also experienced both anxiety, panic, and the calming affects of marijuana. I noticed when I was tired and smoked it tended to make me anxious and I would have panic attacks and be very paranoid. When I drank and smoked together I tended to have a more pleasant high.
  9. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The only fact i know about weed is its going to make you feel high and if you're not careful, you might end up doing stupid things. It also increases one's appetite and most of the guys i know who smoke weed tend to be a little tense.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

The people I know who smoke it and have tried it in the past have used it to calm them and also it has relived stress from their mind and also it can make some people addicted to it, and they end up spending more money on that than the important things. I think that the side effects from it can vary as everyone can have different moods which can make them, think they are alright or higher at the time which is sad to see this happen. It can be interesting to see what happens when a person takes drugs and also, hope people are aware of the consequences that drugs can do to a person.
  11. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

It depends entirely on the genetics of the plant. Too strong of a sativa makes me a lot more susceptible to paranoia and anxiety than indica-dominant strains. Close hybrids and strong indicas calm me down.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I was calm when I smoked weed, never really got anxious - maybe hyper is the better way to put it? Eitherway, whenever you smoke Marijuana you relax and don't care a lot about your environment, you just want to have some fun! :p
    amin021023 likes this.
  13. amin021023

@FuZyOn: you're always so anti-drug I didn't know you've smoked. how does that happen?
  14. FuZyOn

I'm anti-drug because my road to recovery was hell, I didn't find it easy at all. I struggled with addictions and bipolar disorder my whole life, I'm doing my best to remind people of the right path. Always try to stay addiction-free, you can't stop it once you're in the loop.
  15. amin021023

I Totally agree with you, how'd you deal with bipolar then, if you don't mind me asking. and what were you addicted to that was a hell to quit?
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Good question, I guess the reviews are mixed. I think marijuana more than likely will make a deficiency in the body causing the anxiety. People think inhaling smoke of any kind is good for them so more or less it is not necessarily true. You see the breathing in and out is where the therapeutic benefit lies.
  17. FuZyOn

Alcohol, sleeping pills/anxiety medication. I basically took medicine to calm down my bipolar issues, and I got addicted to them. Due to my personality disorder I was also having insomnia issues, hence the sleeping pill addiction. I think those are worse than drugs. (well, technically they are drugs).
    amin021023 likes this.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot depends on the individuals, and how much you smoke of it.

I know a girl who used to suffer from anxiety to the point were she could hardly get out of the house some days, but when she smoked weed it helped her to relax.

She had a couple of joints in the morning, that helped her to get on with her daily life and be a bit calmer about things. As long as she knew she had a joint with her then she didn't feel the anxiety as much, so in this case it did help.
  19. amin021023

Yep, sleeping pills can be very addictive. I can relate to you a lot... it's like the more I ask you questions the more I find out about myself. what do you mean by personality disorder?
  20. FuZyOn

Well.. personality disorders are pretty broad - ranging from mild anxiety to pure schizophrenia, it's basically when you stop thinking rationally and your subconcious mind takes over. Bipolar was pretty nasty.. one hour I would be screaming of joy and doing a lot of fun things but the next hours I would just hate myself and be depressed.