An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Does weed make you calm or anxious?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by amin021023, Sep 15, 2015.

1. juno

juno Community Champion

Usually weed makes you mellow out. Your not really focused, you are hungry and sleepy. That is why many people that are ill are given prescriptions for it. It is a pain killer and relaxant. I think it can work in an opposite manner for social situations because if it causes you to not be able to focus, then you probably can't control yourself in a social setting and that can upset you.
  2. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I think I might have mild anxiety and social anxiety so there's that. I'm familiar with bi-polar. my uncle has a very bad bi-polar disorder. I'm glad you're doing better now because I know how destructive it can be.

what did you do to deal with bi-polar? any medication you care to tell me about? because my mother is really worried about her brother (my uncle) he's been suffering from this condition for several years and we haven't been able to help him, not even a bit.
  3. janetj28

janetj28 Member

I think marijuana relaxes you. The way America looks down upon marijuana is what gives one anxiety. So it's all a mind thing when you're paranoid and anxious. You think you'll get caught, period.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't recommend any medication (only if the problem is really out of control). The best thing that I did was to get out of my comfort zone, little by little. I would also surround myself with friendly people that weren't shy of throwing compliments at me, just to make myself remember who I truly am. :p
  5. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

This isn't entirely true. While the legality and stigma of the drug certainly contribute to paranoia and anxiety, the way the cannabinoids affect the amygdala means that it would still make you paranoid even if it were legal and not looked down upon.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Although I have not used it, I think the effect is different per person. Just like in drinking alcohol, some just became quite and sleep when drunk while others become violent and talkative. The amount of use could also affect the possible effect.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I felt nothing the last time I tried it, but I didn't aspire it though my lungs like my partner did. He was tripping! He was definitely very anxious... he was even hallucinating. It was really bad. But I remember the first time I tried pot was when I was 13, I also didn't notice any kind of effect... I guess the only effect was the fact I was so calm!
  8. kurvanna

kurvanna Member

When I smoked regularly, my social anxiety went through the roof! It took a long time to overcome the strong mental habits I had created, but the damage wasn't irreversible. With proper help and resources, I was able to recognize my issues and attend to them properly. Recovery always starts with conscious recognition!
  9. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

The few times I tried weed, it made me relax but most times too relaxed to care about anything else. I guess the effect is not just dependent on the THC and CBD but also with the person. What emotional state is the person in when he took weed and his/her tolerance as well.
  10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I cannot smoke marijuana because it makes me extremely paranoid. I think everyone around me is talking about me and at times, I have a fear that I'm going to die. I know that it's not going to happen, but in that moment I have such severe anxiety that there's no convincing me otherwise.
  11. amin021023

I get what you mean, pot induced anxiety could be so strong that even if you know that everything's fine, you are still very anxious, it's a bad one.
  12. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

Although I have heard that people use it for calm their anxiety, it has made me really anxious! I hate the feeling. I get panicky about being panicky. It's silly. I think it varies by the strain though. Some strains didn't affect me the way others did. I'll stick to Xanax.
  13. amin021023

I see what you mean. generally the strains that contain more dosages of CBD have calming effect.
    the advantage weed has over pills like Xanax is that you can smoke weed with friends and still get the calming effect and be medicated.
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've never smoked weed but from what I've observed from my friends who frequently use it, weed has varying effects. I have this friend who goes on a food binge after smoking weed. There’s this one who just stares blankly and smiles like an idiot after smoking a joint. There’s this one time after a gig, my musician friends decided to smoke weed in the car, and the car was filled with smoke. I thought that I was gonna be high on weed too because of the second hand smoke. But it didn’t affect me at all. I guess it doesn’t work that way.