An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Doesn't matter what kind, I smoke it

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Tallyho, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

The other day my friend was in his psychology class, and his teacher, to make a point about brand loyalty, pointed out that most smokers have one specific brand and type of cigarettes they will always buy, no matter how much more effort it might take to get them, or how much more they might cost.

I thought that was a little odd, because I almost always buy cigarettes based solely on their price. That said, I do recognize the difference when I smoke different brands / types. I just don't care enough to spend more on the ones I think taste nicer. Does anyone else find this to be true? Which is more important to you: taste or price? My only encouragement with this realization is that maybe worrying so much about cost will be another tool in helping me stop smoking completely.
  2. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Unfortunately I go for taste, not price and the cigarettes I smoke are not the cheapest in the block. In my case I'm very loyal to the taste of my cigarettes. There have been times where my particular brand has run out of stock and I've bought another brand with a similar taste. But as soon, as I see my brand is back, I'll just store the other cigarettes as "emergency cigarettes" for another rainy day.
  3. Tallyho

Yeah, I have a few friends who seem to do that too. My neighbor only smokes one specific kind, even though she's tight on money and they're not on the cheaper end.

I have to admit, I have my favorite flavors, but I just can't seem to justify paying the extra for them.

Does anyone find that if they can't have the flavor they like they'll reject other ones, even during cravings? That's something I've wondered about -- how strong that loyalty can be.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I am not brand loyal, but don't necessarily buy the cheapest cigarettes or cigarillos . I normally buy the brand that I feel like having at that particular time. On the other hand there are certain tobacco stores were I prefer to buy my tobacco at and might go out of my way to go there.
    Tallyho likes this.
  5. Tallyho

That's fascinating. I do that with alcohol, buying what I feel like having on any given day, but have never really been that way about cigarettes. Does it tend to be a shift in flavor taste, brand, menthol vs. not, or something else? All of the above? I have no idea why I find this so interesting, but hey.
  6. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I have always gone for taste when I buy cigarettes. There is a cheaper brand that I used to buy and it was my go to. Although if I was really low on money I would buy the extremely cheap ones. The quality difference between average priced cigarettes and cheap ones is huge. You can really taste the difference. I have even found a small stick in my cheap smoke once!
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

In my country, they passed on a law to purposely inflate the prices of tobacco products. The end goal was to discourage smokers and reduce the incidence of lung diseases, which have steadily risen across the years. But I guess it didn't really make a difference. The employment rate has increased and there has been a marked improvement in the working class' average income.

If you really like to smoke, you smoke. If you want to quit, you quit. That's all there is to it. Price, more often than not, is just a minor consideration.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a smoker but I think it depends per person and other factors. Maybe those who do not have problems with money will most probably go after the taste and the brand. While others will just buy anything he or she can afford just to have a smoke.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

When I was smoking, I always went for taste. I changed my brand quite a bit, but I would stick with a certain brand for long periods of time. For the longest time I was smoking nothing but Marlbolo 27's. I don't know why because they really were disgusting, along with every other cigarette I put into my mouth. My other brand was Dreams Cherry. I never thought about the price of cigarettes because I was too worried about having "my brand."
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The smokers I know would buy specific brand of cigarettes and when for some reason they couldn't buy the brand they like they'll try another brand but only because they have to. Most claim that there's a huge difference in taste but non-smokers exposed to second hand smoke won't notice a difference. I never did.
  11. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

For me it's a 50/50 on taste and price. I don't have a brand that I am fully "loyal" too, as I might switch them up from time to time, depending on my budget and on my mood. I find that the addiction does not care about the taste, only about getting the nicotine into the system.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As a smoker and one that's found it hard to kick the habit for a number of years, I also smoke any brand of cigarette.

I usually just smoke the cheapest that a store as in stock, and I won't pick one particular brand, no matter what the taste or strength difference is.
  13. Tallyho

Loving the input, thanks everyone.
    Tin, I agree, at the end it does seem to come down to that basic principle. Also I like your icon, that was one of my favorite animes as a teen.

Pwarbi, sounds like we're pretty similar in our smoking habits there. Interesting. There seems to be a lot of variety in how people choose based on everyone's replies!
  14. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I was always loyal to one particular brand and if they were out of stock, I'd choose the sister brand instead. If that wasn't in stock either, I was quite happy to walk an extra 5 minutes to the next store. Even in the rain or the snow, I'd still go that bit extra to get "my" smokes.

No other cigarettes hit the spot for me, they never tasted as "good" and I couldn't stand the smell. When I bought that first e-cig (best favour I ever did myself), I looked for one which replicated the taste of my favorite brand.

Even now, I can still smell an Embassy No. 1 a mile off. Whilst the majority of cigarette smells make me screw my face up in disgust these days, if I smell one of those being smoked I still get a momentary craving.
  15. Tallyho

That sounds way too familiar about how I am with this one beer I had in Germany. Managed to find a place here in the States to buy it, and that was both a wonderful and awful day. Great, because it tasted so perfect, bad because now I know I can still get it.

Thanks for sharing! I do find that there are some cigarettes that I vastly prefer the taste / feel of, and will try to get them when available, but overall money still seems to outweigh. Used to be a lot more picky about beer though, like I said, very much like you've described: walking further, spending more, waiting longer, etc.
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No, I have always put taste before cost. Luckily, my favorite brand was cheaper than most of them, and I can say I was more fortunate, which loved more expensive ones. When I had little money I used to buy cheaper, low-quality cigarettes though, only to smoke something.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think most people care about the brand. Like people who smoke newports won't smoke malboroughs. The taste probably does matter and people will pay more for the cigarettes they want. I used to smoke and couldn't stand any thing but the brand I was used to.
  18. Tallyho

That's definitely what it's looking like, yes. I know a lot of the people I work with will vehemently reject menthols vs. not, which I totally get, as well as some being picky about brand, blend, etc.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah well everyone has something that is important to them. Price or taste. I mean this is like cheap beer you get what you pay for and God knows what's in it. Cancer is cheaper to get than it is to get rid of. Can't be good to smoke the cheapest cigarettes. The quality of the tobacco I can only imagine what they put in there.
    I watched this guy buying the cheapest wine in the store. Probably $2.98 at trader joe's. Just to get drunk. So I guess this is the same idea you want the effects of nicotine and so buy the cheapest one. I guess I use to do that with chocolate. Buy the cheap one for the fix. Its so unfortunate how these companies take advantage of whatever addiction someone happens to have.