An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Doing Things Differently

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Whether we like to admit it or not, we all have some sort of routine which we unconsciously follow, altering it slightly from time to time as circumstances demand. If you had an addiction odds are somehow it was part of this routine. So once you stop using a substance how do you fill the time which was dedicated to . . . that?

To help keep your mind off drugs you should consider disrupting the routine. Do things differently. Your mind will readjust to "no drugs at a specific time" and might help you embrace your resolve not to touch drugs more tightly.
    4rainydays likes this.
  2. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

This is a great idea. When we fall into a routine, we tend to feel obligated to abuse just because we maybe did it yesterday or the day before at the same time of day. Even something simple like going out for a jog during the time when you feel addicted helps clear your mind. Changing up the routine also helps "wake up" the brain and you'll even feel more productive just from doing something you don't often do.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

You know they say that people who approach anything even just like quitting cigarettes or starting a diet do better when they accept that they will have to make a whole "lifestyle change" vs. "just cutting back". I have totally experienced this to be true, myself, as well.

That's why systems like 12 steps and whatnot make you quit not only your drug, but also your friends/toxic environment.
    Rainman likes this.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I totally agree. When I was smoking weed I routinely would put my kids to bed then go to my room and smoke a bowl while I listened to music. Since I decided to finally quit, I replaced the bowl of weed with a long relaxing bath. I think replacing my undesired habit with a desirable one made it easier to quit.
    Rainman likes this.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Breaking the routine? Nice. Old habits are addictions, thats for sure. I can see where you are going with this one. Break out of the mold and start a new. Leave what you were behind and start your new life now and forever. Be spontaneous and never look back.
  6. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I like the sound of that. It is never easy to break out of a habit and try build a new one or even get accustomed to a new routine! It is also all too easy to say just move on and forget about the past but that is one thing I have always said was easier said than done! So this is where baby steps and small milestones come in handy. Reward yourself for every little effort put in and never put yourself down!
  7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Well said and the best way to reward ourselves is to think positive, meaning, getting all the dark thoughts out of our head and think that we deserve to be happy.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. I think people tend to fall into routine a bit too easily and it makes them fear anything out of their comfort zones, so I think this tip is advisable for anyone, not only substance abusers. It will be good to change it up and try new things so you can have a better and broader perspective of everything and thus have a better chance of making the right decisions.
  9. Gelsemium

The routine can be a killer and can be depressing unless it's a positive routine and that is what we need to make an effort to happen, create a positive routine.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

I think most likely, if you were spending a lot of time on your addiction, it was probably effecting your every day life activities in a negative way. Usually, an addiction takes time away from other things you should have been doing or other commitments that you already had. Either you were too high to do the job right or you didn't do it at all because you were sleeping it off. I would take a good look at all the things that I was responsible for and honestly ask if I gave it all my 100%. I bet I would find many things that I could spend more time on to do better or even repair damages that may have been caused during the addiction.

If at any event you are one of those people who doesn't have a lot of responsibilities besides working on you addiction, then it is a good idea to find some positive extra curricular activities to add to your life. Think about things you really enjoy doing and get back to them on a more regular basis.
  11. Gelsemium

That is a great key to success, identify what we love doing and effectively start doing those things, our life will change really fast.
  12. sllrambleon

sllrambleon Member

Yea, but trying to brake old habits is extremely difficult and not something everyone can do. It is so easy to slip into something you've known for a long time. It is easy not to try anything new, and this is the only flaw of this concept. In theory this is the best advice you can give to someone in general. If you don't like something about yourself than start changing your daily habits and rituals. Soon the results will come. However I believe that this is a step too difficult for people just out of recovery and will result in failure in most cases.
  13. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

One word that would change the life of a person who has been in substance abuse and that is "meditation." It is not going to be easy at first, but once you get used to it, you will feel so much better.
  14. Gelsemium

I really don't get how meditation can help someone who was an addict, what is so transforming about the experience?