An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Doing this together

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Noreht, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

I have posted my story on the forum before and tou guys are welcome to read it here: http://talk.drugabuse.com/threads/r...g-with-a-partner-in-recovery.5116/#post-85453

I just wanted to add that my fiancee has also joined the forum and we want to collectively thank everyone here for your continued support and words of encouragement. I was already easier for us to get clean together, but the family we found here as made it even better. Thank you!

How many of you are also going through recovery with a partner?
    Mara likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

We're glad that you and your fiancee are a part of the community, @Noreht! Reach out anytime you need to! :)
  3. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

There is strength in doing something jointly. Well done to both of you and I really hope you both keep heading to where you want to be :)
  4. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

For some people it easier to have more support while some people like to fight alone. I believe that these things should have been overcome together and with somebody who understands you and this is the best place for it. It is very nice to hear that you are going through this together and this forum is always open, at least I think so, for people like you.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there! So happy to read that your fiance decided to join us as well, what is her nickname on the forum? I hope you guys find this forum very useful and become part of our community. Let her know this is a safe heaven for everyone dealing with addiction and also their relatives :) So glad to hear she is happy to be part of your recovery process in such an active way.
  6. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

I'm not with a partner at the moment, but a past partner introduced me to recovery. That partner was an NA with good, long-term recovery. They still attended meetings, worked their steps and met regularly with their sponsor. They took me with them to their NA meetings. Then somehow I attended some AA meetings, as well. Finally, someone in NA told me about AlAnon for friends and families. I continued attending NA and AlAnon meetings and an occasional AA meeting after our relationship ended. It's the best gift that partner ever gave me. Best wishes to you and your fiancee'.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I'm not in a similar situation at present but I'd like to cheer you guys on and wish you well as you go through recovery together. May this quote serve to inspire you both as you jointly overcome this little bend in the road:
    [​IMG]
    All the best!
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's great to hear that both of you are here and that both of you are working together to make your lives much better. That's what a true partnership is, sticking together through thick and thin.

More power to you both. :)
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not and I haven't been on a similar situation as you are, but I think that is always good to have someone you can talk to and relate, I think that this process will make your relationship more strong than already is. I'm also really happy that you've found the support that you needed, that's why we're here :).
    Good luck!
  10. Noreht

Thank you for all the support and for those asking her nickname I would rather not give it out as I believe it is every persons right to tell their story in their own way. For me it is better this way as it allows her to tell her story, which aids in the recovery process. I hope you guys understand and if she wants to share her identity she is welcome to do so I just don't think it is my choice to make.

We both still have crutches as I smoke oka on occasion and she would take the odd puff from a mini cigar, but as I mentioned in this thread http://talk.drugabuse.com/threads/will-my-oka-make-me-relapse.5146/#post-85970 I smoke the oka to help me to not smoke weed again.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really nice to know that you and your fiancee are both here in this forum and are getting better. Keep it up and hoping for success for both of you. Have a nice day. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  12. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

It's great that you've found success together on this most arduous of journeys. Sadly, I've had to tackle most of the obstacles in my battles with addiction on my own - with the help and intervention of others, but not as a pair, if you see what I mean - but I think if anyone's out there that can find a partner to support them then this would be a good idea.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. Noreht

Thank you guys and yes it is a lot easier being a couple. It can also be a lot harder. If one of you relapse it is easier for the partner to follow suite. So it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. That being said, I am very blessed to have a fiance like @Jani_pikki She supports my on a daily basis and even when I thought of relapsing she was the one that was there to hold my hand and help my through the dark times.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Noreht and @Jani_pikki... I hope both of you keep holding each other's hand on your journey. Sending you as much positivity as is allowed by the positivity police. ;)
  15. lost247

lost247 Active Contributor

congratulations and very glad your fiance has joined your journey to recovery! I'll give a bit of honest, cautious advice. have an open discussion and agreement with each other about why you're getting clean. if you're going it for each other, that's all fine and good but likely won't lead to a successful recovery. you must be doing this for yourself, each of you, you both have your own battles and demons you will have to fight alone, but you can be amazing support for one another as you engage in this war on your addictions.

sending you both love, light and strength as you move forward together!
    deanokat likes this.