An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Donald Trump and His Wall

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kgord, Sep 24, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

In the unlikely event that Donald Trump will become our next president, how likely do you think it is that we will have a wall built with Mexico that will stem the tide of illegal drugs coming into the country. This is one of the options that you Trump has discussed and in fact is one of the cornerstones of his campaign.
  2. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I think if he is elected, he will do exactly that, build a wall. In any case, I hope whomever wins will realize that this has been a critical issue for a long time. All the tunnels that have been uncovered should have told us something about the drug trade from Mexico, and other Latin countries. We have enough of this stuff to deal with, without inadvertently importing more.
  3. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I think this whole wall thing is insane! A wall isn't going to stop the import of drugs, most drugs are imported through underground tunnels, they're also used for human trafficking. A wall isn't going to hinder any of these operations.
    SharkyJen998 likes this.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree with LoveEcho. I think building a wall is a very childish idea, and it reminds me of the olden days. I mean, whoever does that nowadays? I don't think it will solve the problem of drug smuggling. They should come up with a better plan, not like this one.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Sounds like a foolish plan to me but there is no doubt in my mind that it is one of the first thing he would do if he ever became president. I really don't think that will ever happen. I am more faith then that in the American people.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I guess the theory is that something has to be done to stop the flow of illegal immigrants. It would also supposedly help to foil drug trafficers, but how are they going to find and destroy the underground tunnels? If people can figure out how to escape a federal prison, I think it is likely they could go around the "wall."
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm not sure what's sillier: Trump wanting to build a wall, or Trump thinking he can get Mexico to pay for it.

Illegal immigration is definitely something we have to address and fix. But I don't think building a wall along the entire southern border is the answer. If you ask me, it seems like a step backwards in human relations.
    kgord and Steve Dawson like this.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

People who have the will, will find the way, and I don't think a wall will help our drug issues accross the border very much. There are still boats, trains, cars, and other ways to get drugs into the US. Many of the major drug transports in this world were not by people hoping a fence or walking across the border, but by using advanced hidden compartment techniques on vehicles. Leave it to Trump to want to waste money.
    kgord likes this.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Does he really think a wall will stop drugs and people from coming into America?
    Americans thirst for illegal drugs is insatiable, there are billions to be made filling that want.
    Where there's billions to be made, people will go to great lengths to make it.
    What we need to do is to look at the root causes of drug abuse as well as the failure of the war on drugs.
    Putting up a wall will do nothing, except make the people who build the wall a lot of money.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Building a wall may sound like a nice practical idea but that would be akin to a temporary measure. Like someone mentioned here, there's great demand for those drugs in America so erecting a wall would be just scratching the surface. I think the best idea would be for him to bring the media on board as part of his campaign strategy and to highlight more the dangers of those drugs.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't know if Donald Trump will be the next president. It doesn't seem like there is too much competition against him in my opinion, but what does he know about running a entire country ? If he puts up a wall to stop drugs coming in from Mexico, he would have to do that for more places than there. All illegal drugs don't come from Mexico. Still I'm all for stopping illegal activity coming here from other countries.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think the same - building a wall is really the physical representation of shutting away problems and hoping they'll go away, to me. I can't imagine what it would do for US/Mexican relations.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think to really remove illegal drug trafficking from any place, you need to stop the main root of the problem. You cannot stop it by building a wall. There will still be drugs and they will just find another way to transport them. Cut the syndicates and the manufacturers, which I'm pretty sure are big hidden companies right now. Drugs are very expensive so they probably have built warehouses in different places. If you can catch these 'bosses', then drug trafficking will be less.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Walls won't stop drug dealers from smuggling drugs into the U.S. Building a wall along the Mexican border would only achieve short term success but the drug dealers will obviously use other routes to smuggle drugs in. Consider also the claims that government agencies are "in" on the illegal drug trade.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/12247-cia-manages-drug-trade-mexican-official-says
    The Central Intelligence Agency’s involvement in drug trafficking is back in the media spotlight after a spokesman for the violence-plagued Mexican state of Chihuahua became the latest high-profile individual to accuse the CIA, which has been linked to narcotics trafficking for decades, of ongoing efforts to “manage the drug trade.” The infamous American spy agency refused to comment.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In not sure what sounds more ridiculous, building a wall to keep Mexicans out or trump as president in the first place.

Surely the world as moved on from building giant walls around countries and other ways can be looked at to try and stop the problems countries are facing.

If trump is the next president then I think America needs to have a long hard look at the electoral process because this man doesn't know how to run a country. And I think you'll soon find that out.
  16. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

I have to agree with @LoveEcho and the majority of the other posters here. I think that building a wall bordering mexico will do very little to stop the flow of drug traffic.

The experts are conflicted on what impact a wall will have. Some argue it may make the situation even more dangerous.
    http://blogs.reuters.com/global/2009/10/02/borderwallcosts/

The truth is, though, we can not even say for sure how much of an impact border control has on stopping drugs as it is.

An interesting side note to consider is U.S. involvement in Afghanistan and Pakistan. These countries supply over 60% of heroin in the US. With American intervention over the past two decades, the production has increased five-fold.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-spoils-of-war-afghanistan-s-multibillion-dollar-heroin-trade/91

Granted stopping drugs was not our main priority, but my point is that we can not even stop production in a country that we have invaided. It seems unlikely a wall will have more of an impact.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I really like the responses on this thread because it deals with the bigger drug issues that our country faces. It is one thing to have personal addictions, but we could help a lot of people if they did not have access to drugs. I know that will never happen totally, but we can reduce availability, just not by building a wall.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not really sure if saying that is the best idea to stop with drug trafficking, there are drugs all over the country and that doesn't necessarily means that is all Mexico's fault... But the saddest thing about this is that I'm not surprised by this childish idea since what he said about Mexicans. I just hope that Trump doesn't become president of the United States.
  19. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I doubt Trump will even get the GOPs nomination so his plans about building a wall will remain just that — plans. It would be almost impossible to limit access to drugs but the one thing that can help is if kids no longer find drugs that attractive. Fact-based drug education, that's what will make a difference.
  20. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

First of all who will pay for this wall? The taxpayers? Even with a giant wall it will take money to maintain it. Whether it be from the weather, animals or from people trying to destroy it. These people will find a way to get pass that wall even if it includes bribery. These people need to be offered help, not have a wall cutting them off.
    SharkyJen998 likes this.