An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Don't be discouraged

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Some addicts take discouragement as yet another failure in their lives. If something does not go their way, they will sometimes shut down and give up. When I get discouraged I tend to step back and take a look at the big picture. It really helps because then I can figure out another way of going about reaching my goals and getting what I want. How about you all?
    Damien Lee and kassie1234 like this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's hard for most people to deal with failure. Little do they realize that failure is but proof your plan as it was doesn't work. Through failure one learns what doesn't work, the pitfalls which have to be avoided and so on which gives you a better chance of succeeding should you get up and keep fighting. Whilst fighting my addiction, I fell many times but each time I picked myself up and stumbled on.

Overcoming an addiction is a long journey. Along the way we'll stumble and maybe fall but to reach our desired destination we have to get back up and keep going . . .

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” ~ Thomas A. Edison
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I admit I was one of those people who were really afraid of rejections and failures before. I used to be scared of not being good enough, of not fitting in, of everything. I didn't like taking risks because there's really no assurance that I would come out successful if ever I walk this path. But I realized life is not about making the best decisions or the perfect choices, it's about going through challenges, taking risks, and being alive. So yeah, don't be discouraged easily. Take another chance instead.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think that big picture attitude is always a good reminder of not getting discouraged. Sometimes I just like to look back and reflect on how far I've come. From day to day it doesn't always seem like I've accomplished much, but when I look back over say the last 5 or 10 years, it's amazing to me just how far I've come. So that helps give me perspective and motivates me.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I couldn't agree more. It's all a matter of thinking. Pain and problems are always inevitable but not everyone has the courage to accept these realities. Once we realize that for as long as we live, these will always be present, the happier and more resilient we become.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have come along way in my life. I am been through things that I never could have imagined I would get through so when I get discouraged or down on myself I sit back and reflex on all that I have been through. All those many things that made me the strong, independent woman I am today. I am still not where I would like to be in life but I am better and stronger then I was yesterday. I try to keep a positive attitude and to appreciate all that I do have in my life. We all have those days when we get discouraged and down but those days pass then we just have to pick ourselves up and move forward. Nobody every said life would be easy.
  7. Rosyrain

Frustration is normal because our failures lead to our success in life. If you don't feel frustration or discouraged then you will not feel the need to start from scratch and find the real solution you are trying to figure out. Engineers and scientists go through thousand of failures before they find the result they are looking for and we should all have that same attitude.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Relapsing IS nearly always seen as a failure, but only by the person that's trying to go through the recovery process. Everybody makes mistakes and will slip up, beating an addiction isn't easy, but the most important thing is to not get discouraged or give up on yourself.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah that is a great idea. Everyone deals with it differently. Amazing how persistent people do things and the rest don't always. The ones you want to be persistent don't. I think it is about being assertive. Knowing the difference between right and wrong. What is right for one is not always right for another. The bigger picture is a good focus though.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think everyone will hit the brick wall every now and then and stop dead in their tracks from something that makes them discouraged. It could be the fear or the insecurity of a particular act or our comfort levels and being tested.

There are ways to handle these discouraged feelings. Recognizing these triggers is the first step and with a little exercise you will be able to handle it better. Just slowly get back into that particular situation in a controlled environment and take it slow in the mindset that you are there to practice your craft and get better at it.
  11. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

The big picture is indeed important as it is one's life that we are talking about and we live only once: extremely precious commodity so it makes sense we do all that we can to ensure that it is a well spent experience. We will meet upon obstacles in the form of many things and drugs is just one of them, temptations exist everywhere, but we must try as best as possible to remain steadfast and fight the urge to fall along the wayside. I was there and at the time it felt great, there seem to have been nothing greater than getting a high and I seemed to have lived for the next fix. It was upon leaving and looking back that I realized how awful it was, it is very hard to see the bad side when you are in it.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

We should never be discouraged, that is only when we can lead successful lives. We should learn to avoid discouraging comments and conversations. By living positively, we can be able to proceed with our projects that had already stalled. We must avoid stressful moments by doing whatever we like most.
  13. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I like your approach. It makes sense. I am not an addict myself but often get discouraged about things going on or not going on in my life. I think this is advice that all can benefit from and a good note for me to end my night on.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

People should know that failure is completely natural and should never let it affect them to the point of giving up. There is a saying that "To err is human", so people should not really be too hard on themselves if they fail. Recovering addicts should never give up and they should try another approach if they fail to get clean using a certain method.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  15. Rosyrain

Success is through trial and error. If you don't achieve sobriety, or anything for that matter, by one method, try another method. The key is never to give up. Quitting smoking for instance normally takes several tries before it is actually acheived. If you can cut back and eventually quit, that is a success too.
  16. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

That's how I tend to deal with pressing matters. Life is not perfect and things don't always go according to plan. Goals are not met in a given time frame, that can be incredibly frustrating. As it's so easy to just give up in such situations, it's better to take a short break. Step back and look at the big picture as you correctly mention. Eventually, a solution or a more efficient way will be found.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is a nice attitude towards life in general. We might get discouraged several times but we should have more hope and think that there will be a better tomorrow. Better to be more motivated and stick to goals.
  18. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

We have to learn to deal with disappointments because they WILL come. Not everything will go our way. If we dwell on discouragements, it'll ruin our day and suck out the joy we could have had.