An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Don't find excuses, do what you have to do

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by FuZyOn, Apr 17, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

This is something that keeps a lot of people from overcoming their problems. Procrastination can be very bad for a specific human being and it can make them unable to cope with their issues.
    Try to do all the things that you have to do in order to achieve something in life. Do them as early as you can, do everything possible to make yourself a better person. I can assure you that you will feel better everytime you fulfill a task that you needed to do.
    kana_marie likes this.
  2. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I often refer to this same concept as "close your eyes and JUMP". You can't keep putting things off to better your life or health. You sometimes just have to take a leap of faith. Procrastination is the worst trait to go along with addiction. It only holds you back,
    kana_marie likes this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yes. If you can do it now, why postpone it? Why find excuses when you know you can start it right now? Procrastination is one of the reasons why people don't go anywhere and achieve nothing.
    kana_marie likes this.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm a big time procrastinator. I always talk like I'm going to do something but I don't. That's when I rely on my friends as a support group to push me to get things done around the house. I don't know if it's just sheer laziness, or what. But it has to stop.
    kana_marie likes this.
  5. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

It gets really easy to procrastinate when you think something isn't necessary, though. I would give anything to have gotten this advice years ago, lol
    The fact is, while I was shoving stolen money into my pocket, I still didnt think I needed to change. I was fine the way I was... With no conscience or remorse.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Very true in rehab I learned one important phrase " Do it now or forever wish you had." If you wait it will only get harder. Stop making excuses if you no you have a problem then don't let it get any bigger. Counter attack with the knowledge that you need, and will seek help.
  7. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Should of, could of, but never got around to it. That's my life story. I need to find the inspiration to a better way of living for my sake and to honor my family.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Haha, better later than never, right?
    I'm glad that you turned your life around. It takes a lot of effort to do that!
    kana_marie likes this.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Sometimes it's easier for people to find reasons on not doing something they ought to do than to just do the task and get moving. It's what keeps them from moving forward and achieving a goal. This is because of the thinking that there's always tomorrow. But the thing is, what if tomorrow doesn't come for you? Wouldn't it be better if you achieved something today?
  10. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Yes, this is absolutely true. Easier said than done, though. When we get caught up by indolence, we rarely bother to do anything about it. You'd have to be incredibly strong-willed to resist the pull of procrastination. I regret not being one of those people who defy it. However, I vow to break mold someday, hopefully.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Procrastination is a lot easier than actually doing something. An addict will tell themselves that they'll quit next week. They believe that they'll be giving themselves time to adjust but it never works that way.

While preparing yourself psychologically might seem like a good way to beat an addiction, it never works practically. You must be willing to turn your back on drugs and start your battle over the addiction the moment you realize that you have a problem. The earlier you start, the sooner you deal with issues like relapses and [the sooner you'll] leave addiction in your past.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes it's true. Doing something that you know you need to do does feel better than procrastination. It has this bad feeling that goes with it. Guilt or something like this. The checklist and completing things.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've struggled with this from time to time. Particularly if I have a lot of stuff on my plate -- it's usually one of those cases where I don't know where to start, so I just avoid starting. It's bad, I know...I've gotten more into the habit of writing lists and breaking tasks down into more manageable pieces. My husband always tells me to just try and tackle 3 things when I'm getting overwhelmed with a ton of stuff to do - and it helps to just focus on getting a few tasks finished to completion rather than worrying about everything under the sun.
  14. Very true, why delay it when you can do it now? I think we've all struggled with procrastination in the past. Just do it now! It'll feel so much better in the long run.
  15. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

There are many people who find excuses for their addiction and try to justify their addiction by saying the are coping with loss, loneliness, separation, hard life,mental disease. Their excuses is lame because addiction is not a solution and it never solves any problem. Addiction actually is a problem. It will only worsen your condition.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, sometimes people are prone to procrastinating and putting off for later what they can do today, and that's not really a healthy habit. If they need to get something done, then they should do it asap so that they won't be wasting any time.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is right. It was also like the saying, if there is a will, there is a way. :)
    There should always reasons to start doing the things that we need to do rather than looking for excuses. Nothing can be done if it is not even being started.
  18. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I find it extraordinary how people can come up with the most excuses to keep themselves in their addictions. These people are not really interested in recovering. It takes will power to make a change without it nothing will happen and it will only be another cycle