An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by lilfaerie, Feb 19, 2015.

1. lilfaerie

lilfaerie Member

I have fibromyalgia, as well as a few other chronic issues. I was just upgraded from Norco 10/325 to Percoset 10/325 today, and am scared. I've had withdrawals from the Norco and got back to normal but couldn't deal with the pain, so I went back to the doctor because the Norco wasn't doing its job anymore. I don't want to be addicted, but I don't know what else to do.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is a great thing that you do not want to get addicted. I think better to tell your doctor about it and he might able to help you avoid being addicted on medications. There could be support groups too that might able to help you in your area. You can read various discussions here too that could help you.
  3. olb1213

olb1213 Member

My father has been through this as well. He is an alcoholic with addictive tendencies in general and there have been several medical situations where his doctor wanted to put him on Vicodin or Percocet and he refused because he is afraid of getting hooked. Be open with your doctor about your struggles and maybe they will be able to suggest an alternative. Good for you for being aware and concerned!!
  4. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome lilfaerie. I agree with the others. Maybe do a little research on your condition beforehand so that when you do speak with your family physician you can ask questions on different treatments. Definitely mention your concern about possible addiction.

It has got to be difficult dealing with the pain I went through a similar experience when I was diagnosed with endometriosis and I was prescribed Vicodin. But that is much different than fibromyalgia.

I read as much as I could about it and tried others' suggestions - some helped and some didn't but just knowing what my body was going through was a relief to me. The one question 'how long will this last?' prepared me for what to expect. When I noticed that it was effecting my daily lifestyle I flushed them down the toilet and just took time off work to deal with the pain.

I always try to encourage my family members to find out as much as they can about their condition once they have been diagnosis to have a better understanding of it. I encourage you to do so to.
  5. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Try going to your doctor and tell him that you are starting to get addicted to the medicine he gaves you.
    Tell him to decrease the dose.
  6. jon

jon Active Contributor

Hang in there and do some research on the internet to see if there are other options that you can implement that will help you more effectively. So that you have to stay medicated at all times.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Your doctor won't suddenly cut your pain relief off if you tell them what is happening. Instead, they will work with you to find a more suitable solution. Have you tried any treatments which act on the central nervous system at all. Rather than masking pain, they prevent it from occuring in the first place. These drugs aren't for everybody, but they might be worth looking at if you haven't already tried them.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think you would have to open up to your doctor about your addiction to that drug. And the first thing that came to mind was to look at alternative medicine, it's has become popular over the years because it only uses natural stuff to cure diseases. So it might help you too.
  9. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

This is a particularly hard illness to suggest anything with really because of its nature. I can imagine you are getting upset with the meds, but keep at it because it is helping. I take Tramadol for a knee problem and understand what opiates are like and they are nasty, sometimes even make you feel like they do not help. until you stop taking them.

I suggest a varied diet too, I am a huge believer in food to help with your mood, it helps you to feel good outside and in! So make sure your diet is full of taste and nutrients.

Keep at it, you have had it rough by the sound of things but have coped so far and will continue to do so I am sure. Try talking to your doctor about your concerns. I would not worry too much about becoming addicted either, as long as you take the correct dose then you should be fine, and when you come to coming off them take it in stages instead of stopping instantly.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello Lilfaerie. It's a difficult situation you're caught up in. If you don't want to be addicted to norco and other drugs for pain relief, then I hope you do not mind taking natural pain killers. By natural, I mean fruits and plants that can be eaten or utilized as tisanes. Although they're not as fast-acting as synthetic drugs, large doses of grapes, cranberries, black cumin and blueberries can help alleviate your pain without any untoward side effects. Please do not give up. There is hope yet.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Hi Lilfaerie, you seem to be dealing with a lot right now. Maybe instead of accepting the drugs that you are getting prescribed right now, it might be a good idea to consult other medical professionals and see what they have to say. And that might also include seeking out an alternative practitioner, such as an acupuncturist or herbalist. There are many different ways of dealing with fibromyalgia, taking drugs for it is only one of several options.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I am sorry about this whole situation and how you've had to go through it. I would definitely contact your doctor and talk about methods besides painkillers to help you cope with your fibromyalgia. Painkillers are difficult to get off of, but it is most certainly possible. Everyone here is willing to help you if you are willing to talk to us.
  13. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Awareness is the first step to rehab and you seem to be well on your way. Keep fighting it and sooner or later it will get easier. Don't loose heart. Relapses are common. Never quit. Get someone to look after you.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Fibromyalgia, well the drugs are not really going to do the trick in the long run. You need to clean your diet up and detox those drugs. No processed foods or anything with chemicals in it. Go real clean and eat as healthy as you can. Raw vegan, vegan, or if you think you need meat. Do your best to eat meat without hormones, steroids, or bi-products. Get rid of all junk food and stick with fruit. Pain is not your problem the food is. Even the sales person at the pet store here says the same thing. Your dog has pain clean up the diet.
    A client of mine said she figured out that the chemical food additive aspartame was causing her knee pain. Her doctor could not figure it out, she did.
  15. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

My mother also has some chronic issues and she uses many prescription medicine to help her out, but I feel like she does not need most in fact I think she came addicted to using her medications because in her head they are what makes her feel good. If you do not want something like this to happen to you, you should really talk to your doctor and tell him/her how you feel. The doctor should try to help you out and still help you with your conditions. A doctors job is to help out their patients best than they can and I am sure your doctor will help you out.