An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Don't Know Where to Turn

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by StanJ, Sep 15, 2014.

1. StanJ

StanJ Member

My cocaine use has been increasing lately due to increased stress. I am looking for support and guidance on how to stop the vicious cycle. I'm looking forward to meeting others who might be struggling with similar issues.
    ExpertAdvice, Joseph and sarahm like this.
  2. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hi StanJ, you are in good company here. Identifying that you have an issue and being accountable for your life is the best place to begin. Reaching out to a community of people who share similar challenges is also a great move on your part. Cocaine abuse can wreak havoc on our lives and is one of the most frequently abused substances. Casual use can evolve into big problems if not checked and many find that treatment is the best and sometimes only option for recovery. Let us know if you have any specific questions or how we can help you.
    ExpertAdvice and sarahm like this.
  3. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit Member

My issue was with meth but I can relate. Like RecoveryMentor says awareness is the first step. I guess it's like admitting you have a problem (Step 1 of AA). As long as you can stay in the mindset that you need help from others and don't let the drug trick you into thinking it's ok you will be able to overcome it. Just posting in an online forum is a good step in my book. Now make a plan and take some steps to get the help you need. We're here to talk you off the ledge whenever you need man :)
    Joseph, Cat1987 and sarahm like this.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Stan, I can definitely relate to that cycle. Mine was like this:
    Stress ---> Do drugs ----> Bring on the chaos ---> Repeat, repeat, repeat.
    This article explains the relationship between stress and cocaine abuse specifically.

Going to rehab got me out of my head long enough to soak up some valuable info in the beginning and my support network helps me deal with day-to-day stress in ways I know I can't handle on my own. Notice I didn't say perfect ways - just healthier ways of coping. :)

Welcome! Let us know how we can help.
    Joseph and sarahm like this.
  5. sarahm

sarahm Member

Welcome StanJ, it sounds like you are in good company. I agree with the others that finding support and alternative ways to deal with whatever you've got going on is a good way to start. Have you had any insights about how you might go about seeking help? There are so many options and I know from experience that it can be overwhelming. But there is a lot of good support out there. Good luck!
    Cat1987 likes this.
  6. Cat1987

Cat1987 Member

Hi StanJ. We have differing drugs of choice but I can relate. It's nice to have a place where we can vent about these things and get help. Good luck in your journey!
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  7. StanJ

StanJ Member

Thanks all. I guess I just feel defeated.
  8. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hi StanJ, you mentioned in your original post that your cocaine use was increasing more lately because of increased stress. Anything in particular going on (that you feel comfortable sharing, of course)? It sounds like stress is playing a role in all of that and this might be a good place to start. Are you using cocaine simply as a stress reliever or for some other benefit? If you need me to point you to some resources feel free to send me a private conversation request.

Sending good energy your way, StanJ!
    Jen S. likes this.
  9. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

It's good that you know your usage is a problem and want to talk about it. We are happy to lend an ear. It can be a very addictive substance.
    Joseph likes this.
  10. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I think it helps for you to understand that a lot of the anxiety and nervousness and depression you are feeling that keeps sending you back for more is only temporary. It's the side effects of the drugs themselves, not how things really are. You need to give yourself some time away from them and let them get out of your system so you can see the world around you more clearly and accurately. Things aren't as bad as they may feel and seem to you right now, your perception of everything around you is skewed.

When I kicked cocaine about 13 years ago, one thing I started doing was treating myself to something else that was nice with the money I would have otherwise blown on drugs. Granted you should be putting most of this money in the bank, lol, but try to make it a point to go out and do something nice for yourself at least once a month with what would have otherwise been drug money. Maybe get some new outfits, or go on a weekend road trip to some destination you've been wanting to visit, or go see a concert or a play that you're interested in, or go out to some high end steak house and order their most expensive steak.
    Joseph likes this.
  11. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

It is always a good thing when we come to recognize we have a problem, and start to seek help. There is hope in your life. I was a cocaine user and your doing better than me when I was on it because I felt like I always just did a little so I wasn't addicted. Cocaine is a drug that you can defeat, try going and staying with a friend or family member that really wants to help you quit. The best way to quit is to start instilling new thought into your life. Let the mind know that you don't need it and start programming the mind all negative thoughts toward cocaine. I see another person talked about the money you would save and get to spend on things that actually last and make us happy good luck you can do it!
    Joseph likes this.
  12. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I know that feeling. It's always good to recognize that we have a problem, though, because it's the first step to taking back our independence from drugs, such as cocaine. I know a few people that have gone through cocaine addiction and eventually kicked their habit through a strong rehab program and the support of their loved ones.
    Joseph likes this.
  13. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

At least you recognize you are having a problem and aren't in denial like many are. You are at a point where you need to decide where you want your life to go. I don't know your family situation, but this world is better for you being in it. Don't ever think that anything you are going through is new and unique. Everyone here has been where you are now so trust me we all understand. Look into support groups in your area and find people who care enough about you to help. Stay strong my friend.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  14. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Hi Stan, I hope that you dont still feel defeated and that you have found a way to decrease your intake of cocaine. The only real way to stop is to find the source of your problems and confront them before they eat you up inside. You can also try a yoga or meditation class to keep your stress levels from reaching boiling point. Have you ever tried fishing? Find a lake and go for a peaceful fishing expidition to rid your stress. I think though that if you can't decrease the drugs then maybe its time to destress in rehab.
    Joseph likes this.
  15. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

I really love this group,after reading the comments- I feel like I'm with a great big family, and that's the right place to start your new life StanJ, with a supportive family. :) You however have to be committed as we are to you if breaking you away from your addiction is ever going to work and making this a success story.I know you do but please do not feel defeated! life continues, so what you have to do, is face the music, you have to come to a point where you realize what needs to be done and do it, I'll be doing some research on how to break away from cocaine and sharing those tips with you in an effort to help. :)
    Nice meeting you by the way!
    weirdcatlady, Joseph and tasha like this.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've felt this before and the way I combatted it was to just bite the bullet and break the cycle. My process was to think that I could just test myself and not have my addictions for a while and to constantly remind myself that I wouldn't lose anything by trying to stop, nor would the supplies go away anyway if I did, so in this way I think I got a bit more of an objective view of the situation. I'm not saying it would work for everyone though, as I knew I was only able to do this because I knew how to work my own mind and my own situation, but that's just my experience at least.
    Joseph likes this.
  17. proldani

proldani Member

Ironically, cocaine use would make you feel more stressed. Many friends of mine who used to be under the spell of coke and other hard drugs found relief in meditation as a way to achieve peace of mind. Meditation is a free resource, can be practiced anywhere at anytime, and is a great alternative for those who don't want to get involved in religious practices to reach their higher self.
    Joseph likes this.
  18. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Am glad that you are reaching out at least when it's not too late for you.Am optimistic that you're on the right forum and through your persistence and resilience, you'll find invaluable advice and most importantly,HOPE that is somewhat elusive to the majority of us.
    Joseph likes this.
  19. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I believe that you have arrived at the right site, here you will get the right support you are looking for, it is a good thing that you have been able to identify that you do have a problem ,congratulations on taking the first step.
    Joseph likes this.
  20. weirdcatlady

weirdcatlady Member

Do you snort, smoke, or inject? What are you struggling with specifically?