An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

DON'T sit back and relax!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by akiram13, Feb 11, 2016.

1. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Yes, You recovered and have overcome that big trial you thought you would never conquer. But it doesn't end there. Don't think I am fine I have this medication to help this and that. NO! Wrong thinking and action. If you recover keep your self up and going. Make sure that you get that health back and that good life you can achieve. Make sure that you can put your past addiction to shame and you can smile and laugh at how much farther you have pushed yourself. Don't fall short, and most definitely don't remain still. Always push and move forward.

GOD Bless
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

You're absolutely right about that, akiram. Just because the person has already recovered from his/her addictions doesn't mean he/she can now be too complacent. They should still consider each day as a battle against drugs and alcohol. They should not entertain these stuffs again. They must stay focused and keep moving forward.
  3. akiram13

Live a life of freedom and meaning. You brought yourself up from the pit just to sit under a tree? No go out find a life worth living for. Find the life you always dreamed you had but thought couldnt achieve. Be simple and humble. GOD is great and with HIM you can go farther than the tree above the pit
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm not particularly religious myself, but I do think that it's important to remain focused when working on recovery. I've been alcohol free now for 7, almost 8 years and I still try to keep learning more - reading more, educating myself about addiction, trying to help others - so I think that's great to keep your eye on your goals and not give up.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree. I also think that the most important thing to remember once that they have beat their addiction is to never even attempt to consume their drug of choice, because they think that they won't get hooked on it again. Just keep moving forward and enjoy your new life without drugs.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Lol. I have to smile at this one. Don't sit back and relax she says. Each person is at a different point in life and how they respond to recovery. Sloth, hesitation, uncertainty, loss of vitality for each person can be for many different reasons. I think it comes as a natural reflex early on in life to keep moving, keep trying and moving forward. There is nothing wrong with what you are saying and giving as advice for those recovering. It is good advice certainly, but if a person is idle there can be a very deep seeded reason for this that is one to take great care for those concerned to do their best to comprehend. If there is anything someone in the position of being idle needs and that is to be inspired. You can tell them what you are saying all day long until you are blue in the face but if you don't inspire them. It will only deepen their inability to move.
    This becomes more the case as a person progresses in maturity. Being wiser doesn't make you impulsive, it makes you cautious. This spells hesitation and uncertainty if they are confused. It's like when you are 24 years old and you scrap yourself up or someone else does. You say to yourself alright let's get going. But you don't you just do it. A relationship break up, you just look for the next one. Like a reflex. It's not a conscious thought or action. You just do it. As life progresses and people mean more to you. Your life means more to you. Hopefully as you become wiser. Failure becomes different. So when another is recovering or getting themselves back up in any way shape or form. There are some things they need because their reflexes so to speak are impaired. Inspiration, understanding, and kindness.
    Medication can also be something that deters a person. Controls or slows them down; something to consider if it is being used.
  7. akiram13

This cant be applied to everything.. yes somethings in life makes us stop. But if you have the choice and strength why not? Somethings happen in life that will make us stop and put more scars on us but in the end will you remain forever still? Let us not always be a victim but a soldier fighting the trials.
  8. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I think that it is a good message not to get complacent. I think that you can take it one step further too. You can really start to realize your true potential and make up for those wasted years. Hopefully that can give you enough motivation to keep going and keep living strong and staying healthy.
  9. abacabb

abacabb Member

The struggle never ends, in my opinion. Every day, you have to remember where you came from, what you've overcome, and what you still have to overcome.

You don't have to damage and beat yourself up over it repeatedly, but never forget. Once you forget, you start to slip back .
  10. akiram13

I see this in someone I know. He has a few problems he 's going through and has to take medication for it. But once he seems to be doing good and okay again. He slacks off until he is hit with yet again another episode. Than he is back on his feet and scared of outcome. He always ends up thinking im fine now I dont need to continue living this sort of way and picks up again on different vices that put him back.
  11. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I find being active keeps people's mind off doing drugs and alcohol. It keeps the mind busy and if it tires the person out then I hope/think they cannot be bothered taking the drugs
  12. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

The positive words by @akiram13 is all a person suffering from addiction needs. Think more of yourself, think good of yourself, shun friends who influence you and words of those who think low of you. I believe if every addict had patient and caring people around them, the percentage of addicts will dwindle fast.
  13. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

This is so true. A lot of persons tend to think that once they have recovered that's it, the work is over. Well it's not, it is just as much work to stay clean as it was to get clean.
  14. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

Staying positive is always a good step too when it comes to kicking addiction. If a person is down they some times tend to go back to the thing that "made them happy"
  15. akiram13

Thank you. I hopeI can help make a difference. From what I went through and to share positive feedbacks. I want to give inspiration to others if they cannot find it themselves or in themselves. I hope my words can open eyes and ears and most importantly hearts. :)
  16. akiram13

We all know addiction never gave real happiness. Instead it blinds us to whats in front of us or from what we are fighting within ourselves. Its way to hide and it taks courage to stand up and fight back :)
  17. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

The rode to recovery is rough an when trying to sustain it for long periods of time through life...it could wear anybody down. I am a firm believer on making sure a support system is in place and you are really able to concentrate on detoxing.
  18. akiram13

It is rough, its expected to be rough. There will be the good and bad days. The bad days is when we are tested. So lets say you have one those days just nothing and everything seems to follow apart. Thats a test to see if we will fall back and hide from reality in our addictions or to face the day and make a better one for tomorrow. :)