An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drastically Lost Weight

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by 6up, Jan 7, 2016.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

I remember when I used to drink how I lost appetite because of drinking heavily. I could spend two to three days just taking alcohol without eating. That made me to drastically lose weight. I started walking like am old man even when I had not drank. Is there anybody here who has ever experienced the same?
  2. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Hi, I wouldn't say that I have experienced exactly the same as you however I have had those days when I just had no appetite for food and drank without eating anything at all! It would be so bad that even the smell of food nauseated me. I know of a friend who lost weight drastically as well from abusing alcohol. I suppose that generally speaking, abusing any substance could result to a loss of appetite and other negative results.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My older sister is like that. She prefers drinking over eating. She is very thin and she walks like she is an old lady. She seems to always have a sore back or something wrong with her. Her bones are very weak. I remember last New Year's somebody hugged her at the stroke of midnight and broke her ribs. It is very sad.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

For whatever it's worth, when I quit drinking I lost weight. Fifty pounds over the course of about a year-and-a-half.
  5. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Oh yes, you're definitely not alone there. When I used I got down to 105 pounds and I'm 5'9" it got really bad at a point. But, now I'm up to a healthy 145 and I'm happy that way.
  6. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I haven't experienced that, but I know others who have. It's a horrible thing to go through. I'm glad you got past that.
  7. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Interesting. There's all that talk about how alcohol has a bunch of empty calories (varies depending on what you're drinking), but this sounds completely plausible to me.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@6up Hello and welcome to this forum! Thank you for sharing your story with us in this forum. It is not too late if you will totally quit drinking alcohol you can get back your appetite and regain back your ideal weight. I just hope that you will have that motivation to change for the better of your health and your life.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That was much my experience too - it's amazing when you look at the sheer calorie content in a lot of alcoholic drinks just how much that adds up when you're having drink after drink, day after day. I also found when I would drink I would make crappy food choices (pizza, fries, burgers -- anything greasy...) especially when nursing a hangover. So when I got sober I actually found I lost weight as well.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have seen some here who are really thin no matter how much they drink on a daily basis. That is not really good as stomach with just alcohol is very dangerous. Others tend to eat more when drinking and we can see those with very big bellies.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Oh my. That's quite sad. Is it just drinking period or drinking alcohol? Whatever the case that's worrying. I saw drastic weight loss with a weed smoker who admitted that it was abuse of the drug that contributed to his shaky look. I've also seen it with alcoholics but I have seen many more who gain considerable amounts of weight from the face down.