An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dream On, Dream On . . .

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, May 14, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Drugs can ruin someone's life. You'll lose friends, family . . . jobs. They can drive you right to the edge of a precipice. With nothing left to live for going over the edge would look like a great option. And the addiction gets worse . . . because they are scared of facing reality.

All is never lost though. Broken relationships can be rebuilt, your family can take you back to their bosom if they know you've changed and if you lost a job you can get a better one or even start a business. All you need is to do is dream . . . that everything is possible.

Where there's a will . . .

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

Walt Disney
    kassie1234 and IrishHeather like this.
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

That's very well said. It can be REALLY had to think about dreams. It can get to the point where your most cherished dream is finding a bottle of good pills on the side of the road. I think hitting rock bottom and admitting you have a problem has a lot to do with realizing there is something a lot better out there and deciding its what you really want.
  3. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Pretty inspirational post there! Of course a man should dream. Because when bad times come, the only thing that keeps a person going is hope. And dreams give rise to hope. One should always remember that the sunniest days come only after a storm, and keep hoping.
  4. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Good ol Walt. All we need is a dream, a vision, and a plan. Most of all we hope to make them a reality.
  5. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Yep. I agree. It is, when we stop dreaming, our hopes begin to fade. A positive outlook is so essential. This is exactly why we need reminders like your post. The whole Disney idea is brilliant. Wouldn't it be nice, if we could live in that enchanted world 24/7? Well, at least, we all have the ability to get hop alive!
  6. d4rk3n

Just take examples of famous personalities who fought addiction : Amy Winehouse, Lady Gaga, Demi Lovato, a couple of Back Street Boys members, Kid Cudi, T. I, Eminem.
    The list goes on and on and on. Just imagine what would have happened if these people didn't dream of being an artist.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Those are really good examples, especially Eminem. I heard that when he nearly died from an overdosed he forgot how to rap, write and he was barely able to talk. He had the power to dream and he regained his attributes in no time and launched a new album.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Aswell ad the dream, we also have to have the ability to fight to make them dreams a reality.

A lot of people will dream about something but not try to achieve it. It will be just that, a dream. People need to be proactive to get to where they want to be, not just sit back and wait for it to happen.
  9. d4rk3n

I think this was before Relapse (not sure though). By the way, one can clearly see the strong lyrics he uses to motivate people. He does that because he has been through that phase, and he knows how hard it is to get out.

Well said, no one should wait for opportunities. Opportunities never come on their own, you need to snatch them.
  10. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Thank you for this post! It is so very nice to hear a positive message. You never know when little notes of inspiration such as this can end up being the thing that turned the tables for an individual and inspired them to seek help.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

This is truly inspirational. It is never too late to dream; it is never too late to go for something you have always wanted to achieve/do in your life. All things are possible if we just try to believe and be brave.
  12. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Yea, it's great to have your dreams come true. Sadly, they don't get fulfilled that easily. They take perseverance and dedication. If we have these two crucially important qualities then we will sooner or later make our dreams a reality.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Walt Disney, he is the one that is still frozen maybe. The courage to pursue them. Courage; the ability to do something that frightens you. I never thought that's what courage is but ok. Do our dreams frighten us? I guess it depends upon what dreams we are talking about. Heart felt or really surreal I'm dreaming dream. Lol I think the heart felt ones trip us up more. The ones that really really mean something to us. Paralyze is a word that comes to mind. Fear causes paralysis probably. I guess when I know something is important and I could mess it up somehow paralysis sets in, fear. But probably I am done with this nonsense. Its amazing how we eat can effect this aspect because I know certain things can have caused this. Ability to do something that scares you. No, this is not it. It must scare other people but not you. I've had people say to me you are courageous or what I am doing is courageous. I wouldn't do something that frightens me. I do something because I know I can and I want to. Maybe courage is the ability to do something that might scare other people or to do something that takes nerve, strength. I didn't move her or there by myself because it frightened me. I did it because it felt like the right thing to do at the time.
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

One of the best movies about drug addiction that I have ever watched is called "Requiem for A Dream." It is directed by Darren Arronfsky and features Jennifer Connolly in the lead. The movie follows the story of four people whose big dreams collapse due to drug addiction.
    Mara likes this.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Sometimes it is hard to just believe in yourself - I've had to work on that throughout my life. I have had low self esteem for as long as I can remember, so sometimes even telling myself I'm capable doesn't really register. But I've become better at it (slowly, sometimes!) and better at following my dreams and passions in life.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree with that quote. Everything that starts in our thoughts can become a reality if only we have the courage to follow them through. So we should never be afraid to follow our dreams.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  17. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

It is not easy to pursue our dreams in life. Sometimes the people that surrounds us are there to give us discouragement. But you have to prove them wrong and always have that positive motivation following your dreams in life. No matter what will happen don't ever give up and never lose hope because you are the master of your own life. Don't be afraid and do not have fears to meet whatever challenges that might come your way while pursuing your dreams.
  18. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Yes. Our dreams will definitely come true if we wake up, get up, and take some action. But it's not easy and there are no short cuts. So we have to keep on going.