An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dreams

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Carnold23, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I was a fairly casual user of meth. I only used it a few times, and was never really addicted to it. However I would often use meth in my dreams. I never used any other drugs in my dreams, but meth showed up in many ways. In my dreams I would use it, talk about it and in one dream I remember finding it in my pocket. I am curious as to why I dreamed about meth, because I have used many different drugs and used some much more heavily. Has anyone had this happen to them or does anyone have some insight?
  2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Personally, I don't feel like our dreams are as important as we'd like to think they are. I tend to think they don't have as much meaning as we'd like to think. You could just be dreaming about meth because you have only used it a few times and during your sleep, you're reminiscing on it. I've had dreams periodically about being stabbed to death, yet I've never been even close to that situation. I think our minds just wander in our sleep.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Maybe it is something you think about from time to time, and it showed up in your unconscious thus you dreamed about it. It may be a simple explanation and something that doesn't have a deep and profound change.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Meth probably appears in your dreams so much because it's central to your attention. Energy flows where attention goes - keep that in mind.

Dreams are co-created within our subconscious and spiritual entities on the other side of the veil. They know of our every thought and desire. Yes, I know that sounds creepy and many folks don't want to entertain these thoughts. That's perfectly okay, there are many books and videos that cover the matter. Carl Jung and Edgar Cayce studied dreams heavily and have many important revelations about this issue that is palatable to the occidental mindset.
    Sparkster likes this.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The above post is absolutely spot on. Think about this: dreams are metaphorical representations of the things going on in your life. Whilst most dreams seem quite random, when under hypnosis you know exactly what those dreams really mean. The recurring meth theme of your dreams could be a subconscious representation of meth getting it's nasty grip on you already without you being consciously aware of it.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  6. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

It's a sign for minor addiction, with potential to "snowball" the way I see it. If you are getting hooked, it has its way to get into your life and thoughts, sometimes subconsciously through dreams. I've had periods where it creeped up in my conscious thoughts again and again, daily, and it is horrible, because it becomes so central to your psyche, which is terrifying, really.
    Sparkster likes this.
  7. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

How were you a casual user? A friend of mine once told me, "So I did meth last night..." and I wondered how he didn't become hooked. Is this possible?
  8. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

It's possible, it may vary depending on the person, but while it is possible to be instantly hooked on your first time, some may take it casually and not get hooked, but you don't want to play around it, because eventually you WILL be craving it. Period.
  9. Sparkster

I like the way you described this. Whilst some may get addicted straight away (which could be due to their susceptibility to addiction and/or the method of consumption) ), speed/meth is indeed insidious and creeps up on you slowly from behind. By the time you even realize this, you just know that your time is up and your at a crossroads - either fight it's grasp until successful or let it take you down.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  10. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Wow that's crazy, but I can relate. I drank heavily for over 20 years. When I finally started my recovery in the beginning the dreams were the worst. I would dream almost nightly that I was drinking again. I hated those dreams as time went by they became less, and less until they stopped thank god. My dreams were so real that waking up I would be so sad because I thought I had fail until I relized it was a dream.
  11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

They say dreams are a reflection of our subconscious mind, so that I believe that your dreams @Carnold23 are probably associated to your concern about doing meth.

Not exactly that your subconscious mind is willing to get you addicted to meth or using it more regularly, but something that has to do with meth, whether impacting news associated to the drug, concerns you got after reading about or hearing from someone else's experience.

Same may happen for anyone of you peeps, who are having similar dreams, which are not associated with your reality when it comes to using a drug.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Dreams are the way we see reality in our sleep that we can often shut off when we are awake during the day. You can will yourself not to think of something during the day, but it creeps into your mind at night. The only good thing about dreams is that they can be rather entertaining. If you are having meth dreams, your mind is probably trying to tell you something and you should listen.
  13. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Wow that is really interesting. How long since you last used it?

I have drug and smoking dreams from time to time and they really disturb and upset me. But who knows what is going on with the subconscious mind? I'd rather not worry so much about my dreams and focus on my day to day life. But they can be upsetting for sure.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know someone who was taking this drug and had an out of body experience in dream or while his body was asleep and saw his body in pain from swollen legs and went back into the body and woke up and got treatment for it and was strange he had this experience, the brain can be going through hallucination or the drugs can make the brain believe this is happening to the person. The dream a person may see could be related to the drugs which can make them stressed or feel like something is wrong and you need to realize the dream occurring is not real and this can cause conflict to the person. I think that when a person wakes up they forget about what occurs in the night which is like a movie and not real so a person should not feel real scared or think it is real and it will affect them in anyway or cause them harm to the body in real life.
  15. I have to disagree as far as importance. For me its a very real & big trigger to wake up feeling the actual affects and feelings of guilt n shame or im high and trying to find my dope or something very real to me as an active user... just thrown back in my past as when i still used. I believe that givin the fact that were not able to stop our brains from dreaming we must use this as a tool to learn from or find our most resonable way to cope and avoid negative feelings or consiquences if, or when we wake and without warning were in an uncomfortable situation with real feelings and cravings or regret! I feel when this happens and it does to us meth addicts! We must all find our own way of working our yet another meth related affect of our useing into our now clean, sober lives! If, or rather, when I'm awaken in a sweat with anger and paranoia, feeling i was just injecting meth and felt the rush and in my state of mind I'm there or just was and don't like it! I breath deep and try snapping my mind into reality and allow myself to feel the shame, scared, & Panic so I can keep it real with myself that this is why I'm not useing! I don't want this for myself ever again and be proud that it isn't my reality today and I'm shakin but relieved and don't feed into and search it trying to relive that high! Cravings will surface and setbacks could too! That's why in my knew life clean and without this evil drug in me anymore its going to try to consume or take back my life and mind! I'm a recovering addict of almost everything! This drug is pure evil and steals souls! Leaving broken hollow sad shells. It eats us inside out and consumes us! Even in sleep! Fight every bit because relapse is always right there and meth will try any tunnel back into our minds to drain us or even just remind us! If all users of meth seem to, at some point, have the negative affects even in our sleep! It's a sickness and serious. Nothing scared me more or kills ppl while were still walking and talking! It's very serious! Talk to someone suportive immediately if need be! Or what works for u!
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Dreams are ways in which your mind deals with things that might be bothering you, it's all subconscious. So maybe that is how you managed not to become addicted to meth. You never know. I know that my subconscious mind is constantly dealing with some of my deepest fears, like for example fear to abandonment, it does so in my dreams.
  17. Sparkster

Dreams are not just important, they are absolutely essential and vital to your mental functioning. Without them, you would become dysfunctional and wouldn't be able to think clearly. In fact, studies have shown that being deprived of sleep can lead to clinical insanity after just a short period of seventy-two hours. Dreams are one of the most important functions of your subconscious and are the mind's natural way of processing information. If you didn't have dreams, you would become insane.
  18. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I love to analyze my dreams all of the time. I don't care if people think it is hocus pocus. Our minds are wandering and focusing on things that we need to address. I don't think that we are exploring dreams as much as we should.
  19. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've read somewhere that dreaming is a way for us to act out our unconscious desire in an unreal setting. I don't know if this is true or not. Well I hope not because my dreams are usually violent and involves zombies and serial killers. And I absolutely don't want anything to do with zombies or serial killers.
  20. Sparkster

Look at it in a positive way. Maybe it's your job to slay all the zombies and serial killers and become the hero for making the (not real) world a better place! Seriously though, dreams are more relevant to our waking lives than we realize. Reality is a reflection of our deeper inner consciousness and is a manifestation of thought.
    Mara likes this.